PDA

View Full Version : Should I register my imported handgun ?

msinn@yahoo.com
08-10-2012, 1:06 PM
I moved to CA from NJ in 1997 and imported a handgun bought in 1995.

I'm looking to get more involved in firearm practice and education, so am trying to get more knowledgeable with the requirements such as getting a handgun safety certif.

Am I required to register my handgun? A quick look at the law seems to indicate only guns imported after 2000 is required.

Any benefits to registering if the above is correct and I'm not required to register?

daNkiest
08-10-2012, 1:10 PM
No need, but if you want to you can.

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 1:15 PM
No need, but if you want to you can.

This ^^^^

morrcarr67
08-10-2012, 2:17 PM
I moved to CA from NJ in 1997 and imported a handgun bought in 1995.

I'm looking to get more involved in firearm practice and education, so am trying to get more knowledgeable with the requirements such as getting a handgun safety certif.

Am I required to register my handgun? A quick look at the law seems to indicate only guns imported after 2000 is required.

Any benefits to registering if the above is correct and I'm not required to register?

The only benefit is that certain gun related crimes can be bumped up to a felony if you are in possession of a non registered handgun.

msinn@yahoo.com
08-10-2012, 5:32 PM
Wonder if I was involved in a self defense shooting, if LE would be freaked out if my gun wasn't registered.

Synergy
08-10-2012, 5:41 PM
Wonder if I was involved in a self defense shooting, if LE would be freaked out if my gun wasn't registered.

I don't recall when handgun registration started, but there are a lot of unregistered handguns, legally owned in CA.

vliberatore
08-10-2012, 5:47 PM
The only benefit is that certain gun related crimes can be bumped up to a felony if you are in possession of a non registered handgun.

If you weren't required to register it, I don't believe they can raise the charges.

daNkiest
08-10-2012, 6:29 PM
The gun is yours and under your name even if you didn't register with ca DOJ. That doesn't mean it's an unregistered gun. Unregistered gun to me means a gun with no serial or stolen.

dwtt
08-10-2012, 8:10 PM

That's a great reason for registering the handgun since the OP is obviously planning to practice more with his handgun in preparation for a bank robbery, drive by shooting, or .... Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

markw
08-10-2012, 8:31 PM
The gun is yours and under your name even if you didn't register with ca DOJ. That doesn't mean it's an unregistered gun. Unregistered gun to me means a gun with no serial or stolen.

No, unregistered means the state doesn't know that you own pistol serial number xxxxxx. Lots of guys have unregistered guns because they've owned them before the registration period started. Same thing is going to happen to rifles. At that point lots of folks will have unregistered rifles.
Registered just means the state knows what firearms you own. Makes them easier to collect that way. :)

morrcarr67
08-11-2012, 6:44 AM
If you weren't required to register it, I don't believe they can raise the charges.

You believe wrong.

The one that comes to mind off the top of my head is if you get caught with a CW if the gun is registered to you it's a misterminer, if the gun is unregistered it is a felony.

Oceanbob
08-11-2012, 6:48 AM
First..welcome to Cal Guns....lots of nice people here...

No, you don't have to register that handgun. If you were moving into Kalifornistan tomorrow you would have 60 days to fill out the form (on CDOJs website)....and register the weapon.

Since the gun is legal and you are within the law you will have no problem using it to defend yourself.

The HSC is an 8th grade common sense test. Just get it done. Then you can buy more handguns.

:D

vliberatore
08-11-2012, 8:56 AM
You believe wrong.

The one that comes to mind off the top of my head is if you get caught with a CW if the gun is registered to you it's a misterminer, if the gun is unregistered it is a felony.

Link to a PC? Or are you just spewing FUD?

There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about having a gun not registered that you possessed before the registration period. Think of it this way, if the gun was used in a crime, the criminal would be punished more for following the law (not registering).

-hanko
08-11-2012, 9:00 AM
I can't see any reason to let the state know.;)

-hanko

CK_32
08-11-2012, 9:18 AM
Hell no!

MXRider
08-11-2012, 9:33 AM
You believe wrong.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2006.pdf

Any person who commits the crime of carrying a concealed handgun and ammunition for
that handgun on his/her person or in his/her vehicle may be subject to a felony
enhancement if the handgun is not on file (registered) in the Department of Justice’s
Automated Firearms System. (Penal Code § 12025.)

Any person who commits the crime of carrying a loaded (not necessarily concealed)
handgun on his/her person in a prohibited place may be guilty of a felony if the handgun is
not on file (registered) in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System. (Penal
Code § 12031.)

morrcarr67
08-11-2012, 10:00 AM

Any person who commits the crime of carrying a concealed handgun and ammunition for
enhancement if the handgun is not on file (registered) in the Department of Justice’s

Any person who commits the crime of carrying a loaded (not necessarily concealed)
handgun on his/her person in a prohibited place may be guilty of a felony if the handgun is
not on file (registered) in the Department of Justice’s Automated Firearms System. (Penal
Code § 12031.)

Thank you for the link and info. :cool2:

morrcarr67
08-11-2012, 10:02 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong or illegal about having a gun not registered that you possessed before the registration period. Think of it this way, if the gun was used in a crime, the criminal would be punished more for following the law (not registering).

Read MXRider's post. Thank you for calling FUD when you yourself have no clue.

MXRider
08-11-2012, 10:08 AM
No problem. The way I understand it though, you most likely won't be charged with a felony for only having a concealed unregistered hand gun. It seems to be more of an enhancement to go along with a more serious crime.

daNkiest
08-11-2012, 12:45 PM
No problem. The way I understand it though, you most likely won't be charged with a felony for only having a concealed unregistered hand gun. It seems to be more of an enhancement to go along with a more serious crime.

Exactly. Criminal who uses own registered gun to kill will get charged with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree. Criminal who uses an unregistered or stolen (not legally owned) will get charge with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree murder with an enhancement charge which would be extra sentencing. Ex. 25 to life with 10 enhancement charge for weapon.

CK_32
08-11-2012, 1:21 PM
Simple then buy a carry/defense gun..

Keep the other to your self.. The law knowing you own firearms serves no positive..

Even if the cops are called to your residence on any call of distress yours or someone else's they will come guns drawn due to you owning a firearm.. Found this out when my friend called the cops because her ex kicked her out of the house when they broke up..

He had firearms on his name and they came guns drawn and took him out of the house so she could get her things.. And he did nothing wrong.. Accept kick her out of the house because she was pretty crazy about the break up.
She's my friend but I still feel bad for the guy he wasn't that bad of a guy and I know the whole story from her side and still wasn't necessary.

vliberatore
08-11-2012, 2:33 PM
So if I build a 1911 from an 80% reciever, use it in a crime, I will have additional charges since it it not registered?

If so, I apologize, but I find it hard to believe you can have more charges for following the law.

scglock
08-11-2012, 2:43 PM
I wouldn't register it if I were you.

morrcarr67
08-11-2012, 4:20 PM
So if I build a 1911 from an 80% reciever, use it in a crime, I will have additional charges since it it not registered?

If so, I apologize, but I find it hard to believe you can have more charges for following the law.

I have an idea.

Build your 1911 from an 80% receiver, don't register it, use it in a crime, wait there for the police and turn yourself in and get back to us and let us know if they "enhanced" the charges for using an unregistered handgun.

I'll be at home waiting for your response. :rolleyes:

cannon
08-11-2012, 6:03 PM
OP, Do what is legally required and nothing more.

kauaibuilt
08-11-2012, 7:52 PM
Actually Im wondering about the 80$ thing too. Getting ready to get a few 80% AR's milled and making AR pistols. Do they have to be registered or not? Ive looked a bit and havent found a clear-cut answer.

morrcarr67
08-11-2012, 7:58 PM
Guns you build yourself from 80% receivers do not need to be registered.

vliberatore
08-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I have an idea.

Build your 1911 from an 80% receiver, don't register it, use it in a crime, wait there for the police and turn yourself in and get back to us and let us know if they "enhanced" the charges for using an unregistered handgun.

I'll be at home waiting for your response. :rolleyes:

You didn't answer my question. Wouldn't it have been easier to say that you don't know?

vliberatore
08-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Guns you build yourself from 80% receivers do not need to be registered.

And neither do guns acquired before the registration period!

rromeo
08-12-2012, 4:37 AM
Correct. There are many handguns in California that are legally unregistered. If the owner of one were to be arrested for certain reasons, he could face additional charges for having an unregistered handgun, even though he is not obligated to register it.

morrcarr67
08-12-2012, 5:35 AM

You didn't answer my question. Wouldn't it have been easier to say that you don't know?

Your answer was already given.

If you read this thread you will see that you DO NOT have to register ANY handgun. You will also see that if you use an unregistered handgun in a crime the charges could be bumped to a Felony.

morrcarr67
08-12-2012, 5:49 AM
And neither do guns acquired before the registration period!

Correct. There are many handguns in California that are legally unregistered. If the owner of one were to be arrested for certain reasons, he could face additional charges for having an unregistered handgun, even though he is not obligated to register it.

Thank you RRomeo for your input.

vliberatore - I never said they had to be. I said that some crimes could be bumped up to a Felony for using an unregistered handgun.

You said:

I said:

You believe wrong.

You called FUD and asked for a PC code:

MXRider posted a link and 2 codes for you to read:

Code § 12031.)

And you still don't like the answer:

You have the PC's you asked for. I think you read them? The law clearly says you could be charged as a Felon for using an unregistered handgun. Here's the biggest thing: You live in California.

So, why do you find it hard to believe you can have more charges for following the law?