PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 9mm 1911: Fixed vs. Adjustable Sights?

marklbucla
08-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Why are the fixed sight versions of the Springfield 9mm 1911 so much more desirable than the adjustable sight versions? Whenever I see the former posted in the marketplace, it sells so fast compared to the latter.

InGrAM
08-10-2012, 1:42 AM
Beats me, but that is a good thing, IMO. Adjustable sights are great for a range/target gun which is what I would expect most 9mm 1911 shooters to be using their guns for. You can actually sight the gun into your own eyes and with different target loads of your choosing. Plus, they look better IMO.

1000stars
08-10-2012, 2:16 AM
I agree with InGrAM. But most ppl use standard loads and have no need for adjustable. Also they can readily put nite sights.

enzo357
08-10-2012, 4:50 AM
One of the first things I do to my 1911s is add Dawson adj. rear and fiber optic front. Makes a great competition, and range gun set up. With each new load adjust and go.

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 7:31 AM
Why are the fixed sight versions of the Springfield 9mm 1911 so much more desirable than the adjustable sight versions? Whenever I see the former posted in the marketplace, it sells so fast compared to the latter.

9mm 1911s sell quick in the marketplace regardless...If condition in the same and the price is right.

IMO the target versions of the FS 1911 (SA or Kimber) in 9mm don't last any longer than the fixed versions. Could be related to price or location of the seller.

If you have specific examples of posts link to them.

brian5271
08-10-2012, 7:47 AM
I believe that the non adjustable sights have standard cuts on the slide while the adjustable sights use a cut on the slide that is exclusive to Springfield. This makes it much more difficult to replace the sights on an adjustable sight gun.

marklbucla
08-10-2012, 7:55 AM
9mm 1911s sell quick in the marketplace regardless...If condition in the same and the price is right.

IMO the target versions of the FS 1911 (SA or Kimber) in 9mm don't last any longer than the fixed versions. Could be related to price or location of the seller.

If you have specific examples of posts link to them.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9102025#post9102025

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=563429

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 7:57 AM
I believe that the non adjustable sights have standard cuts on the slide while the adjustable sights use a cut on the slide that is exclusive to Springfield. This makes it much more difficult to replace the sights on an adjustable sight gun.

It's and LPA cut, pretty common on 1911s with target sights, not exclusive to SA.

There are several choices for fixed sights that fit these cuts (Harrison is what I would choose).

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 8:04 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9102025#post9102025

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=563429

OK...

Stock gun with target sights for $1100, then dropped to $1000. Has been posted 10 days but has people asking about it. Can be bought for less new BTW...

VS.

Upgraded gun with at least $200-300 bucks in extras and upgrades that lasted 1 day when posted for $1100.

Are you really wondering why the upgraded one sold quicker than the stock target sight one?

:p

marklbucla
08-10-2012, 8:07 AM
OK...

Stock gun with target sights for $1100, then dropped to $1000. Has been posted 10 days but has people asking about it. Can be bought for less new BTW...

VS.

Upgraded gun with at least $200-300 bucks in extras and upgrades that lasted 1 day when posted for $1100.

Are you really wondering why the upgraded one sold quicker than the stock target sight one?

:p

That's a quick and poor example, of course, but the idea is that the fixed sight version time on the market is typically measured in hours, not days.

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 8:14 AM
That's a quick and poor example, of course, but the idea is that the fixed sight version time on the market is typically measured in hours, not days.

Again, I have to assume.

Price, location, condition, and now extras.

They have about the same list price...the target is more common right now so that may impact the time on the market.

The Target is finished in the US, while the fixed is finished in Brazil. That alone would make the Target more preferable in my book.

BoJackUSMC
08-10-2012, 8:27 AM
I don't know, but I am happy with my SA 1911 9mm fixed sights. I prefer fixed sights than adjustable sights.

Ripon83
08-10-2012, 9:22 AM
I got a target model Kimber this past spring with adjustable sites, its a great gun, and it wasn't on the market place here long. The dealer that did the transfer said he's had one on order for someone 6 months - not sure if that was true or not - no reason to doubt him. I don't see full sized 9mm/1911's all that often, but they seem to get so much premium I think few want to pay the extra for the smaller caliber and just "settle" for the 45....I did that last year.

himurax13
08-10-2012, 3:46 PM
The fixed sight SA 9mm 1911 has standard Novak Cut which allows for a large variety of Sights. I prefer the 10-8 Rear Sights with a Dawson FO front Sight. It is a great combo that allows me to rack the slide one handed on my belt, holster, or any hard surface. Target sights with sharp corners also tear up hands (during powerstrokes) and t shirts.

The Target sight version is far more common.

dem0critus
08-10-2012, 3:54 PM
Ya, as others have said, you don't really need the adjustable ones. Personally, I think the adjustable ones are less "robust" because with the fixed ones at least you know they're on. You can easily mess up the adjustable ones by playing around with them. I also wonder if the adjustable ones are more prone to being thrown off if you knock 'em on something.

The simpler, the better. Plus, the fixed ones just look nicer IMO.

JTROKS
08-10-2012, 8:00 PM
If I was buying one for defensive purpose then the Novak style sights will be it.

I love my loaded target 9mm.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh257/joshuatroy/def30494.jpg

Press Check
08-10-2012, 10:10 PM
The Target is finished in the US, while the fixed is finished in Brazil. That alone would make the Target more preferable in my book.

+1.

100% of the Target models have an NM serial number, and every Combat model I have seen are assembled at Imbel.

Press Check
08-10-2012, 10:12 PM
On a side note, how are these pistols selling for more than retail?! :confused:

marklbucla
08-10-2012, 10:13 PM
On a side note, how are these pistols selling for more than retail?! :confused:

Because it's not a Glock. You can't just go to your local gun shop and find them.

IIRC, Springfield makes these once or twice a year and sell out very quickly.

kouye
08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Because it's not a Glock. You can't just go to your local gun shop and find them.

IIRC, Springfield makes these once or twice a year and sell out very quickly.

In addition, you don't pay tax on a PPT.

:
:
And all used guns only have 200 rounds on them......

CK_32
08-10-2012, 10:28 PM
Going tone against the grain in this thread but adjustable sights on a hand gun are useless IMO...

If its a range show piece then yea they look fantastic but preformance wise I'm going with no. The distance most shoot pistols shoot the adjustability is no greater than a slight adjustment in grip which I learned swearing I needed adjustable sights for my glock to hit right.. 2k rounds later I'm dead on.. Adj Sights on a pistol no.. Rifle yes.. For the most part the guys I see fing with their adjustable sights can shoot the dam gun to begin with let alone need that such minute of adjustment..

IMO if your shooting .3" groups at 30ft every time then yea they might help you shoot .257" but if your shooting like 98% of us shooters shoot no it's not going to make that much of a difference unless something is terribly wih your guns alignment or machanics. Even then could probably be solved by ONE single adjustment of your sights and be set.

Again nice to have because you can sure.. A must have no

InGrAM
08-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Going tone against the grain in this thread but adjustable sights on a hand gun are useless IMO...

If its a range show piece then yea they look fantastic but preformance wise I'm going with no. The distance most shoot pistols shoot the adjustability is no greater than a slight adjustment in grip which I learned swearing I needed adjustable sights for my glock to hit right.. 2k rounds later I'm dead on.. Adj Sights on a pistol no.. Rifle yes.. For the most part the guys I see fing with their adjustable sights can shoot the dam gun to begin with let alone need that such minute of adjustment..

IMO if your shooting .3" groups at 30ft every time then yea they might help you shoot .257" but if your shooting like 98% of us shooters shoot no it's not going to make that much of a difference unless something is terribly wih your guns alignment or machanics. Even then could probably be solved by ONE single adjustment of your sights and be set.

Again nice to have because you can sure.. A must have no

Well that is a nice opinion but a lot of shooters shoot at 25 + yards with handguns. Having adjustable sights on a pistol is quite nice at those distances. There is a reason it is called "target" shooting not "defensive" shooting. If you are using the gun for defensive training then you don't need adjustable sights at all but if you are target shooting then adjustable sights are very useful.

JTROKS
08-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Well that is a nice opinion but a lot of shooters shoot at 25 + yards with handguns. Having adjustable sights on a pistol is quite nice at those distances. There is a reason it is called "target" shooting not "defensive" shooting. If you are using the gun for defensive training then you don't need adjustable sights at all but if you are target shooting then adjustable sights are very useful.

+1 - just switching from 231 to Titegroup changes my POI 4" and a liitle to the right. Having adjustable sights is a plus on a range gun.

cwin
08-15-2012, 8:22 PM
I prefer fixed sights for sure. I don't like the look of the adjustable ones. I found a used Springfield 9mm combat, and I love it. I also don't mind that it's finished in Brazil either.