PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson 638 vs Glock 26

Whiskey89
08-09-2012, 11:17 PM
I know all of the pros and cons but I'm still torn on this decision for my next purchase. They're so similar in price that it just makes the decision harder. Original intention was to purchase a "pocket pistol."

Calguns, please settle this little debacle for me.

NtensiTy
08-10-2012, 2:36 AM
I went with a 642 for my pocket gun and don't regret it a bit. I think the g26 is pretty big for that purpose, but for iwb I think it is a great fit.

trob
08-10-2012, 6:57 AM
EDIT: I just read your post again. If you're looking for a pocket pistol, it's the 638, no question. The g26 is way too clunky to be a pocket pistol.

I have both. I carry both for different reasons, so to compare them isn't really fair.

The 638 is light weight, skinny, and is just "something to stick in my pocket" right before walking out the door.... I don't have to have an IWB or something that takes a minute to put on.

The g26 is a more conventional carry option with a belt loop holster, etc.

Like I said, they're used differently, so to compare them is useless for me. I like both for different reasons

californa
08-10-2012, 7:02 AM
I have a G26 its great for iwb but I would not recommend it for pocket carry to bulky.

snubbyfan
08-10-2012, 7:38 AM
The 9mm G26 is a good gun for concealed carry as is the 638. I agree with the others in saying that each has it's own purpose. If you want a "grab it and go" gun to tuck into a pocket holster then it's the 638 all the way. That along with a couple of 5 shot quickstrips in another pocket. The g26 in blockier and doesn't go well in a pocket. However with a iwb or owb holster and a cover garment it can make an ideal concealed carry piece. Personally I'd prefer the 638. it would give me the option of either pocket carry for the hot summer months when I'm wearing either a tank top or no shirt at all and belt carry under an untucked shirt for when the weather cools off a bit. If ya can only get one, I'd get the 638.

jkody
08-10-2012, 8:16 AM
Id go with the 26. 10 rounds vs 5 any day.

P5Ret
08-10-2012, 8:24 AM
I don't know if my experience counts, but a few years ago I bought a Glock 27 for a grab and go pocket gun. I don't work, it is just too big and heavy. I'm in the market (once I get approval from my boss) for a Smith 442 or 642. So my vote is to go with the J Frame, it is better suited for that purpose.

jessegpresley
08-10-2012, 4:02 PM
A G26 isn't a pocket gun. It's a holster on a belt gun. The J frame is a pocket gun.

To those who say 10 of 9mm is better than 5 38s, 5 38s in your pocket is better than 10 9mms left at home.

And get a 642. There's no reason for the single action capability of the 638.

snubbyfan
08-10-2012, 4:21 PM
A G26 isn't a pocket gun. It's a holster on a belt gun. The J frame is a pocket gun.

To those who say 10 of 9mm is better than 5 38s, 5 38s in your pocket is better than 10 9mms left at home.

I agree, I personally carry a 442 in a custom leather pocket holster.

trob
08-10-2012, 4:31 PM

Unless you need better accuracy and have time to cock the hammer. It's a lot easier to be accurate with a SA trigger than it is with a DA.

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. That's why I got the 638, there's no downside, only positives.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s51/trob500/IMGP0023.jpg

den888
08-10-2012, 5:00 PM
Both fine weapons, but it would depend on a couple of factors for concealment. The G26 can be a bit bulky.

johnny_boy02
08-10-2012, 6:40 PM
How do the S&W "pocket" guns compare size wise to a ruger LCP? I couldn't handle anything larger in my pocket and I would love to get rid of the ruger.

ECVMatt
08-10-2012, 7:36 PM
I had a 642 for a while and it was not that much fun to shoot. That meant I did not shoot it much. I just put 100 rounds through my 26 today and it was a blast. It feels like shooting a .22, is accurate, decently powerful and much easier to reload. The 26 wins hands down in my book.

JTROKS
08-10-2012, 7:48 PM
I have a 640 and a G27, hands down the 640 is a better pocket pistol. The 638 being lightweight is even better.

fremont lapua
08-10-2012, 7:54 PM
Rent them and go with the one that feels better in your hands and you can shoot better.

aatruong
08-10-2012, 8:05 PM
The 638 is meant for the pocket...the g26 is a great lil pistol but unless it's going in any other pocket than the front pocket, it's not a viable option. Chances are you will have them both one point or another while being a member here. I've owned a 442, 642 x2, g26, g27 and have sold them all...the 638 is currently on my short list

snubbyfan
08-10-2012, 8:28 PM
My 442 was a bit of a challenge to shoot with any accuracy out of the box. I did a trigger job with an extra fine Arkansas oil stone, put in an 11 pound rebound slide spring and an 8 pound main spring. Replaced the grip with a Pachmayr compact grip and mounted a Laserlyte side mount laser. It's an enjoyable little gun to shoot and easy to carry.
I chose the enclosed hammer so it'd be snag free and I'd be sure to only shoot it double action. If I ever needed it, I'm ready to present and fire it in a well practiced double action.

Doheny
08-10-2012, 8:32 PM
I voted for the Smith, since you said you wanted a pocket gun. As others have noted, the Glock is too big to be considered a pocket gun. You're more likely to be armed more often if you have at least one gun you can drop in your pocket easily for a late night run to the store, etc.

jessegpresley
08-10-2012, 9:46 PM
I had a 642 for a while and it was not that much fun to shoot. That meant I did not shoot it much. I just put 100 rounds through my 26 today and it was a blast. It feels like shooting a .22, is accurate, decently powerful and much easier to reload. The 26 wins hands down in my book.

What pocket do you carry your Glock in?

CK_32
08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Semi for practical

Wheel gun for cool fun factor..

Shot count and ability to reload are enough for me to keep a wheel gun in the night stand and a semi at the hip (if I was legally able to carry which I am not)

Glocks also have a slicker shape less to snag especially for a pocket.

Whiskey89
08-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Thank you for the replies. The comments confirm my original suspicion that the 638 was the way to go for pocket carry. The votes suggest otherwise, but I digress. I want both pistols, it's just I'm not a man of amicable fiscal means to purchase both "Right Now."

I originally posted this thread because I've come to realize that despise the size issues and differences;the cylinder on the 638 is slightly larger in width than that of the glock, and although I haven't had a chance to handle either at the same time; I noticed both were similar in size and weight. I initially showed favoritism towards the glock, simply because I own a 19 and 23. On the flip, I don't have a wheel gun yet.

Both are able to be carried as a pocket pistol, and can be considered "grab and go."

and yes, I agree with trob both have completely different roles and can incorporate different methods of concealment. However I'm looking for the best for a specific role for future use.

ECVMatt
08-11-2012, 8:13 AM
What pocket do you carry your Glock in?

The back pocket of my jeans...not a problem.

I also carry it with this:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/other-holsters-vanguard-holster

I don't wear skinny jeans so I guess I don't have a problem with it...

bsg
08-12-2012, 8:23 AM
either/or is my answer. i have no problem stuffing my G26 into the pockets of most of my pants; buy pants that will accommodate. your attire is part of your system of carry.

there are times when even a pocket holster is not a viable means of carry, and a deep concealment method of carry is needed; the Bianchi Ranger Belly Band setup can accommodate my G26, my S&W Model 60 or compact handguns of my choosing. downside is slow draw; upside is multi faceted.