View Full Version : Anyone in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale got a 686 I can 'try out'?

08-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Man oh man oh man.. agggh.... !!!!!!!!!

I've been holding off getting another caliber but this f--king stupid S&W 686 4inch keeps f--king haunting me!!!! (actually that will be 2 calibers cause I have to get 38sp AND 357Mag)

If anyone here has one that you'd let me shoot at Reed's one day let me know.... I'll buy ammo and pay for the range time. (FWIK Reed's doesn't have a 686 for rent)

Groan.... maybe I should check if TM has one? (sigh) I don't like going there....

PM's accepted... THX....

EDIT- This will lead me to darkness of ammo hoarding thankyouverymuch! LOL

09-23-2012, 2:02 AM
I'm kinda surprised that Reed's doesn't have an 686s for rent (they used to have two). They're probably waiting for repairs or replacements.

09-23-2012, 7:59 AM
It's a slippery slope. You'll buy 500 new .357 brass from Starline and figure "That should do it."

Then one night you'll find yourself perusing the WTS Ammo & Reloading board. [zombie voice]Need more brass![/zombie voice]

You'll go to the range and find yourself staring at the deck looking for an odd .357 case or two. When you find a little pile of brass the rush will be a thrill.

You'll even find yourself boiling on WTS .38 Special Brass ads...

Chasing the brass dragon. :(

Meh... just buy the gun. You won't be sorry. ;)

09-23-2012, 8:51 AM
Target Masters in Milpitas has one to rent

09-23-2012, 10:19 AM
You don't need to shoot it. The 686 is the most well rounded revolver out there.

09-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Just buy one, you'll like it a lot. I knew just from seeing a picture that a 686 would fit me perfect and I was right. After shooting the gun a lot it has smoothed out and has the smoothest action of all my revolvers. Accuracy is outstanding and I only have the 2.5" barrel model.

If you buy one and for some reason don't like it you'll have no problem selling it. Just get one.

09-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Just buy it.

At the very worst case that you end up not liking it, just sell it for a very small loss and move on. I've done this a few times on guns that's thought looked badass, but I ended up not liking the way they shoot. I may have lost out on $50 or $100 total per gun (on $600-$1000 guns) but to me that's an acceptable loss that I was willing to make so I could move on.

09-23-2012, 6:27 PM
My 686 SSR is my favorite gun (at the moment). Do try a few different barrel lengths or models, some feel better than others.

09-23-2012, 7:36 PM
Actually I may get my hands on a good condition 2nd hand 686 so I'm waiting for details, etc..... crosssing my fingers. I've dry fired new ones in my LGS and I just love the feel of it. Gonna just buy it if it's a good deal.