PDA

View Full Version : My Ruger SR22 pistol broke

Flowmini98
08-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Ive got about 800-1000 rounds through my SR22 pistol now and it has worked great giving me reliable service. But this evening I took it apart to clean after a weekend of shooting in a dry/dusty enviorment, and I noticed its broken.
The "notch" on the leftside of the slide where you push the slide catch up into is broken. You can see where there used to be a nice defined corner but its now broken off that corner and I have no idea how or when this happened.

myusername
08-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Interesting. I bought one recently, only a few mags through it, no problems so far, but I keep reading of issues. Hope this isn't a fault of the gun.

Send it back to them is about all you can do.

Flowmini98
08-10-2012, 6:25 AM
Im contacting them today.

Dannicus
08-10-2012, 9:19 AM
Mine has a steel pin that makes up that engagement surface. Did that pin fall out on yours or did it even come with one?

Flowmini98
08-10-2012, 3:58 PM
Mine has a steel pin that makes up that engagement surface. Did that pin fall out on yours or did it even come with one?

Can honestly remember if it had a pin or not...but you can actually see where the corner of the catch is actually missing metal.
I got hold of Ruger today they sent me a pre paid label and they want me to ship the entire gun back for them to check and repair.

Flowmini98
08-10-2012, 4:16 PM
Heres a couple pics...maybe you can make it out

Dannicus
08-10-2012, 8:15 PM
The pin on mine...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HFqByIn5lRQ/UCXcFEV8PcI/AAAAAAAAIj8/bPMos_Ctrso/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AxHw4328NYk/UCXcBOm3IsI/AAAAAAAAIjg/5t69TcpYQuY/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Yes, my SR22P is very dirty.

johnny1290
08-11-2012, 4:26 AM
I sent in my sr9c to be fixed for something stupid I caused, and they were kind enough to fix it no charge. I figure I'll apply what I saved towards an SR22.

I'm sure they'll make it right for you. Hopefully it's just one of those things, new model and all.

Flowmini98
08-11-2012, 7:08 AM
Dannicus-
Great picture, helps me understand the issue with mine better. If I had to guess I would say the pin fell out of mine and then left the thin metal to take the force, and eventually it just crumbled. It sounds like they will take care of the issue but now I gotta ship it off and be without it for a couple weeks since they said turnaround time is 8-12 days

Izzy43
08-11-2012, 8:35 AM
Dannicus-
Great picture, helps me understand the issue with mine better. If I had to guess I would say the pin fell out of mine and then left the thin metal to take the force, and eventually it just crumbled. It sounds like they will take care of the issue but now I gotta ship it off and be without it for a couple weeks since they said turnaround time is 8-12 days

Sorry to hear about your problem. I have an SR22 as well and will check this area for any wear or damage. Nice that Ruger has such great CS.

What was the process of sending the pistol to Ruger? Will it have to go thru DROS again? Thanks and good luck on the fix.

Flowmini98
08-11-2012, 12:57 PM
What was the process of sending the pistol to Ruger? Will it have to go thru DROS again? Thanks and good luck on the fix.

Here is how Ruger asks you to return the pistol with the prepaid label they snet me:

- ship whole pistol, unloaded, without a magazine in it but also send it with at least 1 of the magazines it came with.
- package/ship pistol in a plain brown or white box with pre paid label attatched.
- they took all my info over the phone but in order to help speed the repair/replacement process add a simple legible note with my name, repair order #, a small explanation of the problem, approximately how many rounds have been fired through the pistol and what kinds of ammo I use.
- they said it must be shipped through UPS but it has to be sent out by an actual UPS shipping hub NOT one of the mailbox type stores that UPS delivers/picksup from.
- repair times vary but i should expect 8-12 days.

I dont see why it would need to be DROSd again

Socalmedix
08-11-2012, 1:13 PM
It doesn't need to be reDros unless they give u a replacement gun with a new s/n

Khafre
08-11-2012, 1:16 PM
What was the process of sending the pistol to Ruger? Will it have to go thru DROS again?

I sent my original mk III to Ruger several times.

No need for DROS, unless they send you a new pistol (a new serial number). If they do send you a replacement they will cover all of the costs including DROS and dealer transfer fees.

When they send back the pistol they will have UPS deliver it right to your door. Make sure you have some at home to sign for it.

Ruger has great CS and they will make it right free of charge. The hardest part is the wait.

corcoraj2002
08-11-2012, 1:40 PM
Make sure someone is home and over 18.

shortyforty
08-11-2012, 1:58 PM
I have had some experience with Ruger CS. Always positive. They are great and make an outstanding firearm for the most part. A real "stand up" company. They're gonna take good care of you; rest assured. I want one of those SR22s sooooooooooooo bad. Unfortunately I have a Sig mosquito that has broken on me recently and Sig wants to charge me $55 in shipping charges just to have them look at it.:mad: Quite a contrast between Sig and Ruger's customer service.

Mr_Fastbucks
08-16-2012, 9:00 AM
It's a new design so it would not be unprecedented for them to have some bugs to work out. Hopefully Ruger customer service will handle them quickly and keep their customers happy.

johnny1290
08-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Ruger fixed my SR9c for free after I broke the thing doing something stupid. I figure I owe them so I'll buy a SR22.

I have *no* doubt they'll stand behind it. Great company.

I had no idea they could ship straight to your house. I've always gone through a FFL(in my case, Turners).