View Full Version : Experts: Please help me price this 'project' Combat Commander.

08-09-2012, 6:43 PM
I am planning on selling this gun in the private sale section, but I need help, figuring out what a reasonable asking price would be for it.

This Colt Series 80 Combat Commander has had a rough life. When it was purchased by a LGS under the assumption that it was list-approved (only stainless was) It had a pachmayr wrap-around grip, & full length guide rod. The finish was in ok shape. The manager at the gun store wanted to get rid of the gun and offered it to me for what I thought was a good price (considering they went new for $1000 at the time,) so I picked it up as a gift for a friend of mine who was serving in the Air Force in Arizona. Later he moved back to California and his situation became such that he "could not own a gun anymore" so he transferred it to me. Unfortunately at this point the finish on the gun had degraded considerably. There was already wear, but now there seems to be some light pitting and more handling marks than when I gifted it to him. The gun also has a prominent idiot-mark.

I have since flitz polished the gun as best I could by hand, and replaced the guide rod and recoil spring plug with colt parts. I have two mismatched colt mags to include with the gun, a colt wraparound grip, and rubber hogue panels.

The gun lost the front sight the last time I was out shooting (troubleshooting) it to resolve an issue the gun has where the slide stop engages during shooting. I purchased a new slide stop, then had it ground to stop the nose of the bullet from pressing upwards on the slidestop (as visible copper was accumulating on the inside of the slidestop.) So after gunsmith A and I ruined the first slide stop in this futile attempt to correct the issue, gunsmith B showed up and said the issue is more likely being caused by the plunger spring...

This gun needs new sights (at least a low profile front,) new finish, and some kind of resolution with its reliability issue... What can I realistically ask for this gun, would the type of guy who turns diamonds in the rough back into keepers even be interested in something like this?

p.s. I also have a S&W 60-9, a Howa 1500 .308, and a SGC "FN TPS" I need to get rid of if anyone wants to take a stab at helping me price them as well.

08-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Since it needs at least $300 in work a reasonable asking price would be $550. I doubt anyone would pay more for an unreliable 1911. Thats kind of an oxymoron.

08-09-2012, 10:54 PM
From the picture posted it looks like you have a Commander slide on a Government frame. Considering the condition is rough (by your description) and needs several issues fixed, I'd say you're not going to get a lot out of it. I was about to list my own value on it, but knowing that you're going to list it in the for sale section I don't want to negatively influence the selling price. Feel free to PM me if you want my personal opinion on value it.

Shapes And Colors
08-10-2012, 12:35 AM
I honestly don't know, but part of me wants it.

08-10-2012, 8:45 AM
I honestly don't know, but part of me wants it.

I've always been attracted to Combat Commanders.

For me this is a classic case of "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach." As my grandmother used to say.

08-10-2012, 11:40 AM
It's a non-operational Frankengun (to call a spade a spade). I wouldn't pay more than 400 for it.

08-10-2012, 1:34 PM
Set the price a bit on the high side. Make full disclosure of all the "warts" -- then crank the price down every week until you find a buyer. At the very least it has intrinsic value as parts.

08-10-2012, 2:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. This thread combined with PM's I am receiving are really broadening my knowledge about this mutt.

It's a non-operational Frankengun (to call a spade a spade). I wouldn't pay more than 400 for it.

Lets say that the last gunsmith I spoke to was correct that the plunger spring is the culprit, and that replacing it and or the slidestop (lets say $100 parts and labor tops assuming I can find someone willing to do the work in a timely fashion. Which other than the finding a gunsmith part seems close to reality,) solves the "reliability" issues. Is it worth the investment if I am just selling the gun anyway?

Understandably project guns only attract "niche" buyers... But calguns is the place for project gun niche buyers... So I'm hoping it will work out.

08-10-2012, 3:18 PM