PDA

View Full Version : What did you do today ... to stop SB 249?

Jimbo60
08-09-2012, 6:04 PM
I woke up this morning and decided that enough is enough. I have, in the past, not been as politically active as I could have been. Using all of the usual excuses regarding time, workload, helplessness (what can I do anyway?) etc.

This morning I decided that when the fight is on, never again will I say I did nothing but vote. My boots WILL be on the ground. Period.

1st I filled out the volunteer form on the Stop SB 249 site. Early this afternon I received a pleasant phone call telling me that flyers would be on their way. I asked if it would be alright to use the flyers from the website in the interim and was given the go ahead.

Next I called my local Assemblyman's office, Tim Donnelly (R), who also happens to be on the appropriations commitee. I went on record with his staff in opposing SB 249. I was assured that Mr. Donnelly was seriously against the bill also (not really a surprise)

I then printed out 40 flyers from the Stop SB 249 site on my office printer.

In the interim I got my wife, my business partner and his wife to sign the petition.

This afternoon I spent 3 hours visiting our 7 local gun stores here in the high desert and making sure that each one had at least 5 flyers.

At this point I am committed to doing anything that is needed to help defeat this legislation. Antwhere, anytime.

:D

What did you do?

Jim

chiz
08-09-2012, 6:15 PM
i just ordered 5000 color flyers that I will be passing out.

spetsnaz
08-09-2012, 6:27 PM
talked to some people about it

mikestesting
08-09-2012, 6:28 PM
All I did was post the stopsb249 site all over my facebook page. I got about 5 people to sign. I should step it up and get flyers like you guys.

M1Kev
08-09-2012, 8:26 PM
Added StopSB249 to my facebook and encouraged friends and family to do the same. I raised awareness with my coworkers (discreetly, I like my job) as well as some firearm friendly customers that I have. I wrote my Senator and Assemblyman (again) to let them know how I feel about the bill in particular. Tomorrow I will do more of the same.

thepunisher
08-09-2012, 8:27 PM
My team and I are going to hit everything in Bakersfield area we can think of. Its a gun friendly area so we should have to a good turn out in support. In the mean time I have been pumping it on facebook, twitter and in and around my office.

I have got my all my family involved we will fight this with all we got.

huntercf
08-09-2012, 9:39 PM
I volunteered at CGF to hand out flyers. Get in the fight my brothers and sisters!

Rock6.3
08-09-2012, 9:44 PM
Volunteered to distribute fliers.
Signed the petition.
Sent 28 personal emails asking friends to get involved.
Asked my Assemblyman to go on the record in opposition to this bill.
Contacted two radio program hosts and asked them to cover the bill.

hammerhands32
08-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Swiped a petition from a local gun store and had all my coworkers sign it,

Prince50
08-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I ran a newspaper ad against SB249 in the North County Times.

:)

Darin

Excitable Boy
08-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Made a couple guys look up www.stopSB249.com and sign the petitions.

SpikesTact15
08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I'd called and spoke to every staff members of the Appropriate Committee weather it was them or their "aides" voicing my concern and asked them to vote no to SB 249. I'd emailed my personal letter to 5-10 assembly men and women about my opposition to SB 249. I've posted website of "stopSB249.org" on my facebook. Oh yeah, I'd just finish emailing a brief letter to my local Sheriff and ask that he review SB 249 and he forward anything that's real valuable to our cause. I have my finger cross........

oldrifle
08-09-2012, 10:52 PM

Darin

I like this. Can we pool some money together or use CGF funds to run a large, maybe full page, ad in a newspaper in a gun friendly county? I will gladly donate $200+ for this.

wjc
08-09-2012, 10:58 PM

Darin

If you don't mind me asking, what did that run ya? I'm getting some money coming in soon.

I might try to pull that on the San Jose Murky News.

:43:

kaligaran
08-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Since I don't know many people in this state yet, I harass those I do know daily to remind them of the bill and talk about it which is always while I'm at work.
Every day we get ~1 person that overhears my rant and comes over to join the conversation. I attempt to educate. Sometimes it feels as if it falls on deaf ears but other times it gets through.

Not only is it a daily topic but today I followed up on the 'URGENT' calguns email I forwarded out. We should have had about 4-5 more signatures on the petition from that forward alone.

We're trying to establish a simi-regular shooting club (with gun owners and non-gun owners alike) and that's a discussion that happens almost daily.
Just last week we took some co-workers shooting including a new shooter (a co-worker's girlfriend) that came in really jumpy/nervous but left with the biggest smile I'd ever seen. After retrieving her 44mag spent casing souvenir, she informed me about wanting to do this [shooting] more often and also wants to go to the upcoming gun show!

Carnivore
08-09-2012, 11:18 PM
I bought a rifle I can use while 249 is being appealed in court. While at the gun store I did talk to two "hunters" that didn't care if it passed or not and got them to change their mind (so they said) but that is about all I accomplished. I will donate next week after I get paid because we are going to need it. I know I know I am a jerk but I have lived in this state for 45 years and one thing is for sure...the legislature has never seen a bun ban they didn't like.

That said I so hope I can come back here and apologize my butt off if it should be defeted....

drifter2be
08-10-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm tired of talking to people about this law. The ones that care about it already seem to know about it. I'm getting pissed off about guys I run into at gun stores or at the range that don't care because it doesn't affect their trap shooting or hunting guns, and they don't seem to care if other gun owners get messed with since they aren't in the anti's crosshairs at the moment. Their apathy is completely disgusting and infuriating to me and I cannot take any more of it. I've spread the word to everyone I know and they have passed it on to people they know.

Anchors
08-10-2012, 12:38 AM
I tell at least 25 new people a day about it and/or explain it to them.

Rockit
08-10-2012, 2:28 AM
Hung out at LcG Ar parts (in uniform) and talked about how easy 80% lowers are to complete and how dumb bb are.

BigRobb
08-10-2012, 2:38 AM
I'm never on twitter. But I am posting my thoughts about the terrible sb249 abomination. I also printed out 100 flyers, which I will hand out to friends and such on my days off.

Also had my family (19 people) sign the petition. I had that done a lil while ago though :)

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 3:26 AM
I like this. Can we pool some money together or use CGF funds to run a large, maybe full page, ad in a newspaper in a gun friendly county? I will gladly donate $200+ for this.

Yep, though we'd probably be better off running smaller content in a number of metros.

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 3:27 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what did that run ya? I'm getting some money coming in soon.

I might try to pull that on the San Jose Murky News.

:43:

https://twitter.com/StopSB249/status/233719132862943233

oldrifle
08-10-2012, 8:45 AM
Yep, though we'd probably be better off running smaller content in a number of metros.

Let's do it. Who can coordinate this?

insik
08-10-2012, 9:35 AM
Signed the Assembly Appropriations Committee petition and shared it on my facebook. I also make it a point to re-share any links from Calguns, StopSB249 from my facebook.

Carnivore
08-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Reinvigorated and saw the error of my own ways. Spent a few hours "this morning" printing out flyer's and hit every place open from 5am on that would let me post a flayer. Talked to several people and bugged a few more. Now I am going to sleep.

It is easy to get the "it won't help" blues but the fact is, if we don't do something....who will?

joe_sun
08-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Called and emailed my representatives. I was told Ted gains is already against it but Allyson Hubers office offered no comment one way or the other.

Since she has an NRA D rating I'm guessing she's for it

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Prince50
08-10-2012, 10:33 AM
https://p.twimg.com/Az5WUCQCEAA9L3Q.jpg

Cost about $400

Rock6.3
08-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Nielsen's office says he will vote no on SB249.

coq
08-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Got 3 more to sign petition.

Nice ad here. But I noticed what looks like a vertical branch on that tactical stick.

https://p.twimg.com/Az5WUCQCEAA9L3Q.jpg

Cost about $400

nothinghere2c
08-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I keep writing my representatives but its very discouraging to continue to receive responses like "thank you for writing to me. Your thoughts will help me to continue to represent you and other californians." I know exactly what this means... Thanks but I'm anti gun lol.

pointedstick
08-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Emailed everyone on the appropriations committee, as well as Yee, Keigwin, and Rognerud.

interstellar
08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Reading transcripts from our recent interviews of Darrin, Adam Winkler, Assemblymember Portantino, and 15 others to select bites for our trailer. SB249 is today's battle but we will win the war though mass education like our PBS/PTV documentary "Bullet Button" - www.deadpatriotfilms.com

Local gun stores have flyers and petition in place.

SierraGuns
08-10-2012, 1:51 PM
Made a another donation to the CalGuns Foundation.

Cnynrat
08-10-2012, 1:53 PM
I wrote a letter to all the members of the Appropriations Committee as well as my local Assemblyman.

Jimbo60
08-10-2012, 2:24 PM
Does anybody have a good list of email addys for the committee?

Some days my Google Fu stinks.

Jim

RileyBean
08-10-2012, 2:28 PM
I wrote a letter (snail mail) to my district's State Senator with copies to every other Republican Senator in Sacramento (Bob Huff, Joel Anderson, etc...).

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 2:39 PM
Does anybody have a good list of email addys for the committee?

Some days my Google Fu stinks.

Jim

http://stopsb249.org/contacts

ChamberCheck
08-10-2012, 2:44 PM
Told some coworkers about the StopSB249 website, asked them to sign petitions, and I called my Senator and Congressman. Hopefully, will be able to follow-up with emails/letters this weekend to others. Donation also in order.

Dave

Jimbo60
08-10-2012, 3:16 PM
http://stopsb249.org/contacts

thank you sir.

Jim

capo602002
08-10-2012, 3:27 PM
Informed all my friends and family on facebook.
Was amazed at the number of people who care but don't know where to start.
Got some of them going anyway.

This included my sister who then went ballistic on facebook, called all the appropriation committee members by phone and then faxed each member for good measure. It is what she is good at!

Earlier this week I mailed individual letters to each member of the committee.
Will be placing phone calls Monday.

masayako
08-10-2012, 4:11 PM
Emailed all Assemblymen or women a letter opposing SB249. Posted on FB.

Trying to find an A4 printable flyer with "No SB249" somewhere... where can I find that???

Kurus214
08-10-2012, 4:14 PM
A big thanks to wildhawker- I am sure there are many others my thanks to all involved.
================
Over the last week:
E-mail assembly, both individually, through mailing lists and through the automated assembly submission system.
(I love how if you don't give them an address in thier district thay just shoo you away.)
Responded to the Huffpost article and the LB Telegram article..
Contributed to CGF. $100
Signed petition online
E-mailed about 15 friends asking them to look into helping fight SB249
Became a lifetime NRA member.

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 4:14 PM
http://stopsb249.org/downloads-info-sheets/

RazzB7
08-10-2012, 4:17 PM
Today, I printed out 12 color copies of the "Sheriff Sniff" flyer and politely asked employees at 3 different gun shops to display them.

Jimbo60
08-10-2012, 4:35 PM
emailed each member of the committee today, got two more peope to sign the petition.

Will be calling and faxing monday.

Jim

Excitable Boy
08-10-2012, 4:43 PM
Made my first contribution to CGF.