View Full Version : Mossberg Silver Reserve

08-09-2012, 1:40 PM
I am interested in purchasing an o/u 12 gauge and don't have a small fortune to invest. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a Mossberg Silver Reserve and can provide comments. I"m also interested in alternatives to the Mossberg that are in the same price range (or lower). I know some will have a general anti-Mossberg sentiment, and their comments are unnecessary. Thanks in advance for your help.

08-09-2012, 1:49 PM
I held one, and I do not like the way they break. Overall, I have not heard great things about their reliability. Stoeger makes a 12 and 20 gauge model called the Condor that are not only cheaper ($350-$450), but of better quality IMO. Stoger also makes a combo Condor ($550-$650) which comes with interchangeable 12 and 20 gauge barrels. You can use Benelli chokes in the Condors. Best of luck in your search.

Other Stoeger O/U guns

08-09-2012, 2:48 PM
And I'm not a Mossberg hater. I have and old 500 pump with a wood stock, and it's the shot gun I use the most by far.

08-09-2012, 3:06 PM
The difference from silver to regular mossberg 500 is about $30 from what I've researched the difference is the color and material of the trigger but everything else is the same. If the maverick 88 has got nothing but good reviews why would the silver be worse if its an actual mossberg.

08-09-2012, 3:09 PM
As for cheapest price for good shotgun you can't beat the maverick 88 made by mossberg goes for $219 brand new at turners.

08-09-2012, 3:11 PM
I have also seen the Winchester sxp for $280 that comes with a havier barrel for heavier 3" loads.

08-09-2012, 3:55 PM
I've got a silver reserve that I shoot skeet with.... I've put hundreds of rounds through it without any issues. Very fine shotgun, IMO.

08-09-2012, 4:12 PM
i have one and it seems alright for a cheap o/u.
it did have some rust in the action when i got it from big 5.cleaned it and oiled the metal.it is still a little tight when it breaks open have to give it a little extra for the last mm.but its got screw in chokes and if you're not into status symbols it shoots fine :33:

08-09-2012, 4:17 PM
The difference from silver to regular mossberg 500 is about $30 from what I've researched the difference is the color and material of the trigger but everything else is the same.

What are you talking about? Everything else is the same? I think you are a little confused. Sounds like you are mixing up the Silver line with the Silver Reserve model. One is a pump, the other is an Over/Under.

I have a silver reserve and think it's just fine. It's not great but you shouldn't expect it to be for the price. It's made in Turkey by Khan.

08-09-2012, 4:47 PM
I have one for guests who go shooting with me.

Agree with everyone else's comments. OK for the price. But fit, finish, and feel are vastly inferior to my Brownings and Beretta. I've heard some reliability issues, but never experienced any myself.

Personally, I would go for a used Browning Citori rather than a new Mossberg -- if that's the choice. I've seen some older ones on the private sales section that are maybe $100-$150 more ask than the new Mossberg price at some dealers. Once you factor in sales tax and your negotiating ability, I think it'll be about the same.

Ideally, I would have the guy meet you at a range where you can check the operation of the firearm. Repair on an O/U firing mechanism can get expensive.

08-09-2012, 6:37 PM
The Mossberg Silver Reserves aren't bad guns, but they are sometimes spotty on quality. I've seen a couple that had issues, fragile firing pins for one, but I've seen others that were solid, like most anything else I guess. I've shot them in 12, 28 and .410. A guy I shoot with regularly has one in .410 that's got thousands of rounds through it, still going strong. Another couple I know has his and hers Silver Reserves and they've not had a lick of trouble with them. The triggers on them are okay, not great.

OTOH I had the opportunity to handle and fire a few shots with a brand new Maverick O/U a couple of weeks ago. Longest mushiest trigger I've ever experienced on any shotgun and shot to two different points of aim so the barrels were definitely not well regulated. The action seemed solid enough, but I have a hunch that 8K to 10K rounds (that's one season worth for dedicated clay shooters) and the gun might be toast. I've not seen one with more than a few boxes through it, just the impression I get.

The Stoeger Condor seems like a good deal, and I've read elsewhere that the quality on them has improved considerably since Benelli took over Stoeger. A very well used Condor Competition model showed up not too long ago at my club for sale. This is a gun that is supposed to be perfect for heavy duty clay shooting. Round count was a guess at 20 K or a bit more as it was a few seasons old and the guy selling it is a pretty heavy shooter. The barrel set was able to be wiggled with the action locked up... that's very bad. Made me rethink my idea of maybe buying one right then and there.

08-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the great comments. All very helpful.

08-11-2012, 8:33 AM
Take a look at Tri Star and Stoeger, both very decent O/Us for the money, as good as the Mossberg, but the Mossy costs more. My Tri Star has treated me very well, takes easy to find Beretta chokes, and while my new Citori blows it out of the water in very way imaginable, it was all I could afford at the time and I still shoot it and it will always see range time as a loaner gun.

The synthetic stock Mossberg O/U (Maverick maybe?) is a POS, my shop has one in stock they were trying to get me to buy, I offer them $150 and felt like I was being generous. The Silver Reserves that I've handled are much higher end for not all that much more dough.

No "entry level" O/U is going to be a lifetime gun, and neither is an entry level pump or semi, that's why they're cheap. If you're going to shoot a lot of shells 20k+, you'll save money in the long run by spending more upfront. However, for most people $1500 for a shotgun is a huge chunk of change, and it's a lot easier to come up with $500 every 5-10 years for a new entry level gun.

My best advice is that, if you can't afford a Browning/Berretta, don't buy an O/U at all because they're addictive and you'll end up selling your liver to buy one, and it's far easier to live live without an O/U than without a liver. I've been a Browning Citori owner for 2 weeks and already looking for another one, it's bad, really bad.