PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Teens Scared to shoot a firearm?

Chameleon Loco
08-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I was planning a range trip with many of my friends to finally shoot my new saiga iz 132 and my dad was even nice enought to let me take his Smith and Wesson MP-15 22 but it seems that so many of my friends are having "family problems today" lol I think their Anti gun parents have somthing to do with it. So now an hour before I leave my party has went from 5 to 3. At least I know who can trust and meet up with during a shtf event.

bigbearbear
08-09-2012, 1:48 PM
First of all, just as you would like others to respect your rights to enjoy shooting firearms, you should also respect others who chooses not to for whatever reasons that may be.

Parents, have every right to be concerned if their children mention to them that a bunch of teenagers are going to get together and go play with guns. It is natural for some of them to forbade or otherwise discourage their children to show up.

It might be a different story of the event is being supervised by professionals, perhaps a NRA certified instructor, and even then I'm sure some will still not show up.

In other words, respect their wishes and enjoy your trip.

RuggedJay
08-09-2012, 2:02 PM
This is California. Those kids parents are just worried that you don't know proper safety rules. I've been to the range many times and seen "kids"(even in their 20s LOL) who don't who **** about firearm safety. Make sure to follow all safety rules. Remember the 4 rules of gun safety always. Have fun.

Army
08-09-2012, 2:12 PM
Keep in mind, that everything they know about guns, they learned from TV and their parents...

bigbearbear
08-09-2012, 2:26 PM
Keep in mind, that everything they know about guns, they learned from TV and their parents...

More likely from video games. :D

bloodhawke83
08-09-2012, 2:30 PM
only a few anti's, example below from last week.

I got comments from them like "got go shooting a theater, lol " and another person reply with, "don't go to see batman". I told them that was immature and they're reply was, "just don't go do a shooting spree". :facepalm:

Cowboy T
08-09-2012, 2:44 PM
I remember that way of thinking all too well. Guns bad, guns bad. It's not like way back in the day when a bunch of kids got their .22's, went out to the woods, and started (safely) plinking. Back then, their fathers typically hunted and taught their kids (especially sons, but also at times including daughters if they showed interest) about firearms and the rules of safety for their handling.

Just last night, I took a young fellow, a 21-year-old (wow, that's "young" to me now) shooting for his first time. He loved it. His mother was definitely concerned, but she knows I'm a range safety officer, so she did approve it. His father is mostly pro-gun and had encouraged his son to give it a try. Afterwards, I gave both parents a full report, and the "kid" showed off his targets. Poppa was proud. Momma was a little concerned, but still kinda proud her son had done well.

A few things helped here:

1.) I'm a lot older than this young fellow, and I knew the family already.
2.) I'm a range safety officer.
3.) That kid got a very good upbringing, old-fashioned Latino style, where they still teach centuries-old rules of honor. He conducts himself as such.

He now has the bug. I pity his wallet, since ammo does cost money. :D

Wnick308
08-09-2012, 2:47 PM
Yup, I get this a lot with my "city" friends. The best thing to is take everyone else shooting that you can and make sure they have a fun time. Then word gets around that shooting is a blast to do and you're the guy to go with. It works every time!!!! But don't FORCE anyone to go.

Capybara
08-09-2012, 5:00 PM
I wouldn't let my kids go shooting with anyone unless I knew and trusted them and had shot with the parents or supervisors and knew that they knew gun safety and practiced it.

Nitro Express!
08-09-2012, 5:13 PM
Yeah, when I go shooting with my friends, I make sure they know the 10 commandments of range safety. Or at least the four most important ones. Safety first, always.

Merc1138
08-09-2012, 5:44 PM
I was planning a range trip with many of my friends to finally shoot my new saiga iz 132 and my dad was even nice enought to let me take his Smith and Wesson MP-15 22 but it seems that so many of my friends are having "family problems today" lol I think their Anti gun parents have somthing to do with it. So now an hour before I leave my party has went from 5 to 3. At least I know who can trust and meet up with during a shtf event.

You're worried about trusting your fellow teens during SHTF?

Additionally, they have their own parents to deal with. Just because they aren't going doesn't mean they're "scared", could very well be because their parents don't want them to go. Last time I checked, living with your parents means living with their rules.

Are these kid's parents friends of the family? Do their parents even know you?

XVIga_Rob
08-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Don't sweat it.....There will always be people who flake, for various reasons. Just go with those who want to, be safe, and have fun!

Maddog5150
08-10-2012, 9:56 AM
First of all, just as you would like others to respect your rights to enjoy shooting firearms, you should also respect others who chooses not to for whatever reasons that may be.

Parents, have every right to be concerned if their children mention to them that a bunch of teenagers are going to get together and go play with guns. It is natural for some of them to forbade or otherwise discourage their children to show up.

It might be a different story of the event is being supervised by professionals, perhaps a NRA certified instructor, and even then I'm sure some will still not show up.

In other words, respect their wishes and enjoy your trip.

This

You're worried about trusting your fellow teens during SHTF?

Additionally, they have their own parents to deal with. Just because they aren't going doesn't mean they're "scared", could very well be because their parents don't want them to go. Last time I checked, living with your parents means living with their rules.

Are these kid's parents friends of the family? Do their parents even know you?

And this.

OP, when you are old enough and have kids of your own, you can send them to go off shooting with whomever you want. I personally wouldnt let my kid go shooting with other teenagers less there was at least a 2:1 ratio of parents to teens.
I've seen many times where grown men who are soldiers, police officers or instructors are safe as hell while doing their job or shooting with a buddy. Get them in a group though safety is no where near as up to standard. That being said, a group of teenagers? I'd rather take my kid shooting my self.

WDE91
08-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Ive taken plenty of people shooting who are my age
I have taken quite a few girls out to bust clays also...

Im 21

durandal
08-10-2012, 11:02 AM
make sure your friends who are scared of guns.. stock up on tampons.. for shtf.. I hear they are good for bullet wounds

BucDan
08-10-2012, 12:01 PM
I was the first one (20 years old) out of all of my family friends and family members, and my friends (besides father) to own a fireman, nonetheless build my own from a kit (I.E., my first firearm being an AKM build I did). Once I came out of the closet and told them that I was into firearms and the likes, and what I did to build the AKM, they ALL called me crazy over the fact that I built a firearm, and bonus points for crazy for it being an AKM and not an AR type.

While everyone (from 23-35 years old) was still shocked and was like "Dan you're crazy!!! Dayummm!" and saying the "watch out for Dan, he'll go Rambo on you, don't get him mad"... guess what? After I took 1 of my friends out (21 years old), he was like, "That was really cool to shoot an AK" (his first time firing a rifle, nonetheless the second guy to wield my rifle). He wanted one, but understandably, he didn't have the funds and preferred an AR, so I told him when he was ready to tell me.

A few weeks pass, one of my other friends said that he had a Glock 23 (26 years old), but only took it out once in it's entire life! When he found out I had a AKM and built it, he called me crazy after seeing my pictures.

Now guess what? Those 2 were bit the bug. They both were saying it was too expensive and wanted it to be as cheap as possible, thus wanting a complete polymer lower and super cheap upper for around $500-600. I told them, "if you go polymer, it won't feel like what an AR is supposed to feel like and if you went cheap, YOU WILL upgrade and end up spending more than you intended, so make it the way you want it now."

Because of that the guy with the Glock 23 bought his first stripped lower from TDS Guns and a rifle kit from PSA when they had the crazy summer sale not too long ago. I helped him build it up, he loved it... ended up spending about $800 total. Now he went out and bought a TROY VTAC rail and a foregrip and TROY sights, taking his total above the "crazy $1000" that he didn't want in the first place but ended up spending that much anyways and is proud! He has no regrets now.

As for the other guy that was #2 to wield my AKM, he went out and bought a complete Delton AR for about 800 OTD after seeing what my Glock friend did. He is happy also, now he wants a Eotech optic lol.

Now as for everyone else and some family members, they see that us 3 have rifles and aren't crazy and guns being a normal thing to own, now they want one themselves and are wanting my help, they were open to handguns but not black rifles... now they are.

Can you say success in getting them to become gun owners after being blatantly clowned on for a few weeks by everyone?

Anti's no more, it is now mainstream within my circle. Scared no more! Now everyone wants to go to the range with us!

Chameleon Loco
08-10-2012, 12:28 PM
I went with 2 of my close friends and we took my dads MP15 22 lr (with his permission of course) and my new saiga iz 132 7.62x39 to oak tree. We shot 200 rounds threw my saiga and 200 threw the .22. There were zero fte and no jams. On the way there I told them about firearm safety and the rules that I learned from my dad also know as Jeff Coopers 4 rules. Both my friends followed them perfectly and though it was their first time shooting they did pretty well. The ironic thing is how many people wanted to go with me but when I called them on the day we went shooting most of them flaked. Oh also and yes I know personally my friends parents and have talked to them about firearms before so they we not uncomfortable about their child going shooting with me.

jyo
08-10-2012, 9:40 PM
Actually, I have found many younger folks were quite eager to be taken out to the range for a few hours of carefully supervised shooting. Be sure to make available plenty of "eyes and ears," targets and a reliable 22 semi-auto rifle (code for 10-22) and oh, lots of ammo. Don't take too many kids at a time (4-5 at the most), make sure they are over 18 unless their parent comes along and again, the key is CAREFULLY SUPERVISED. Many of the kids will even offer to pay for the ammo used. I have turned many young folks and even some of their parents into shooters. Practice SAFETY FIRST!!

Bill Carson
08-10-2012, 9:46 PM
I think this has more to do with teenagers being teenagers than anything else.

m98
08-11-2012, 5:47 AM
I think this has more to do with teenagers being teenagers than anything else.

Most teenagers today will giggle or joke or screw around while out shooting so having full control over kids like these is very important. They need to respect the firearms and u as their instructor. Most of the things that they think they know about firearms are from movies and video games created by geeks like the kids themselves.

tuolumnejim
08-11-2012, 7:10 AM
only a few anti's, example below from last week.

I got comments from them like "got go shooting a theater, lol " and another person reply with, "don't go to see batman". I told them that was immature and they're reply was, "just don't go do a shooting spree". :facepalm:

Then you might want to reply with "My guns haven't killed anyone unlike certain ex politicians cars", that will either shut them up over this matter or light their fuses. :43:

Blackcrow
08-11-2012, 9:25 AM
Then you might want to reply with "My guns haven't killed anyone unlike certain ex politicians cars", that will either shut them up over this matter or light their fuses. :43:

Or they will not know who old Ted was. ;)

lilro
08-11-2012, 7:36 PM
Ever thought of inviting the parents? Let them watch you and your dad do your thing, and their kids give the puppy eyes, and everyone will be shooting in no time.

Petra
08-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I was the first one (20 years old) out of all of my family friends and family members, and my friends (besides father) to own a fireman, nonetheless build my own from a kit

http://www.petrastech.com/images/Fireman.jpg
http://www.petrastech.com/images/ohmy.png

/cool story bro ;)

I love autocorrect.

tuna quesadilla
08-11-2012, 10:06 PM

/cool story bro ;)

I love autocorrect.

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Well played

.45heat
08-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Teenagers getting together, without firearms there's is a lot of horse play. Now add firearms, showing off, can get pretty unsafe if the cardinal rules of firearms are not followed. For example, I was working with a fellow co workers, he gets a phone call for his teenager son. He hangs up the phone pissed and scared. I have to leave to take my son to the hospital, him and his friends were playing around with his BB gun and his friend shot him in the eye. Luckily he didn't lose his eye.
Not saying your irresponsible OP, but you getting pissed because some friends flaked on you, and now that's a sign that you can't trust them if SHTF, is a hint of your immaturity. Just go have fun with who ever wants to go and be safe.

Chameleon Loco
08-12-2012, 11:42 AM
I only asked my friends who I thought were responsable enough to handle a firearm to go shooting with me . Now that I think about it part of my rant was immature because these kids still live under their parents roofs like me, so what ever mommy and daddy says is the law. I am just lucky enough to have parents that like to express their 2nd Ammendment rights and allow their son to express his too.

InGrAM
08-12-2012, 2:07 PM
I only asked my friends who I thought were responsable enough to handle a firearm to go shooting with me . Now that I think about it part of my rant was immature because these kids still live under their parents roofs like me, so what ever mommy and daddy says is the law. I am just lucky enough to have parents that like to express their 2nd Ammendment rights and allow their son to express his too.

Don't let some of the internet safety Nazi's get you down. People love to piss allover people they think are less intelligent than themselves. Your parents wouldn't let you go out plinking/shooting with your friends if they didn't have trust in your actions and your ability to teach your friends how to handle firearms safely.

I remember being a kid and going shooting with my friends, some want to, some don't. Just keep trying and make sure your friends that do go have fun. There is nothing better than getting a friends into firearms.

pepsi2451
08-12-2012, 3:28 PM
Just because they flaked doesn't mean they are scared. They could just have had something come up. My buddy has a cop friend that keeps flaking on us whenever we go shooting. He always cancels last minute. I'm pretty sure he is SWAT so I doubt he is scared of shooting.

That said, it does seem to me like parents are a little over protective these days. I don't have any kids so maybe I will change my mind but I remember going shooting with my friends all the time as soon as we started turning 16 and could drive somewhere to shoot. Hell, one of our friends was 13 and his parents let him go with us. He used to bring his own .22.

PandaLuv
08-13-2012, 1:55 PM
you have no friends...

jk, some people are just flakes

brassburnz
08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
My kids are in their teens and have been raised around guns. But they know their limits. Their firearms safety habits are excellent, but even they know they don't know everything. I don't know if they would feel comfortable going shooting on their own and I'm fairly certain they wouldn't even think of taking their friends shooting.

My cousin and I would hunt jackrabbits with .22 rimfire rifles when he was 12 and I was 10. The only admonishment from my uncle was, "Don't shoot the dog."

Teenagers getting together, without firearms there's is a lot of horse play. Now add firearms, showing off, can get pretty unsafe if the cardinal rules of firearms are not followed. For example, I was working with a fellow co workers, he gets a phone call for his teenager son. He hangs up the phone pissed and scared. I have to leave to take my son to the hospital, him and his friends were playing around with his BB gun and his friend shot him in the eye. Luckily he didn't lose his eye.
Not saying your irresponsible OP, but you getting pissed because some friends flaked on you, and now that's a sign that you can't trust them if SHTF, is a hint of your immaturity. Just go have fun with who ever wants to go and be safe.

bruceflinch
08-14-2012, 11:51 AM

/cool story bro ;)

I love autocorrect.

Ooooh, He is a young Buc! ;)

lear60man
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Despite what we parents think, our kids do pick up at lot of traits/views from us. Anti gun parents will naturally raise mostly anti gun children and vice verse.

On Fathers Day I was luck enough to tag along with 2 friends and their 4 teen age kids. 3 had never shot before. I brought a slew of 'cool' guns ranging from plinkers to .50 cal. We went over safety and worked up the range of calibers. Everyone had a blast.

The one girl comes from 1 anti and 1 pro parents. She turned out to be a great shot and was grinning from ear to ear. Her sister who didnt come because of logistical reasons has never shot before but was eager to go the next time.

Teens do stupid/scary things all the time. This is one experience that I would rather teach my teen myself. If done correctly, they will have fun and tweet about it later in the day!