PDA

View Full Version : Cal-FFL Submits Letter Opposing SB 249 to Asm. Appropriations

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
MADERA, CA - Cal-FFL has submitted its SB 249 letter of opposition to the Assembly Appropriations Committee and legislative staff (http://www.scribd.com/doc/102470096/Cal-FFL-SB-249-Opposition-Asm-Appropriations-STOP-SB-249), in which it argues that Senator Yee's attempt to escape state liability for hundreds of millions of dollars in unconstitutional government takings is a non-starter.

"Senator Yee's bill has gone from dangerously incompetent to an outright assault on the property and civil rights of millions of law abiding California gun owners, Cal-FFL members, and the entire firearms ecosystem," said Cal-FFL president Brandon Combs. "Our letter plainly shows how misguided SB 249 is and why Sen. Yee's proposed policies are not right for California, not now, and not ever."

For more on SB 249 or to take action against the bill, please visit Cal-FFL's SB 249 advocacy platform at http://StopSB249.org.

-Brandon

RazzB7
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I think it's very well written. Thanks for all your hard work.

DonFerrando
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Thumbs up!!! Thanks for all your efforts!

383green
08-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Good job! It appears thorough, well-written and accurate to me.

cjc16
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
nice read. Thank you.

spgripside
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Brandon. The fight continues.

Wildhawk66
08-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Nicely done.

the_natterjack
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Very nicely done. May we forward a copy of this document to our local state reps and senators?

- Brian

DartFrog
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Thank you

TakCWAL
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Thank you, I have been waiting to see this...

- Tak

SparkYZ
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
The last part is a stinger! I love it!

hornswaggled
08-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Beautiful!

KeithET
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Very nice read. To bad many in Sacramento don't care about costs!

KeithET

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Very nicely done. May we forward a copy of this document to our local state reps and senators?

- Brian

Please do!

-Brandon

Jason_2111
08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh man, you totally left out... um... nothing.

Great job!!

Mesa Defense
08-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks Mr. Combs. You have our support.

kaligaran
08-09-2012, 1:15 PM
Fantastic article. Very well written.

Thank you!

Wiz-of-Awd
08-09-2012, 1:15 PM
Excellent.

Fantastic letter, and well rounded with supporting evidence - contrary to SB249
Page 4 in particular brought a heart felt sense of pride and hope to me.

"If SB 249 passes in any form, Cal-FFL and its members will, without fail, immediately file a federal civil rights lawsuit – likely in cooperation with The Calguns Foundation, the Second AmendmentFoundation, and others – seeking injunctive and declaratory relief."

You are awesome Brandon.
Keep up the fight and the tremendous amount of work you are doing on this issue. You are appreciated by us all, and your efforts will not be forgotten.

Kindest Regards,
A.W.D.

curtisfong
08-09-2012, 1:19 PM
Nicely done

Uxi
08-09-2012, 1:26 PM
Beautiful

GOEX FFF
08-09-2012, 2:06 PM
Excellent. THANK YOU Brandon and everyone else working diligently on this.

rplusplus
08-09-2012, 2:18 PM
couldn't help myself but as I kept reading to start humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic... And the Truth is Marching On!

mmayer707
08-09-2012, 2:27 PM
Nice read. Any reason you left out the fact that no documented crime has been committed using a BB rifle?

Smokeybehr
08-09-2012, 2:32 PM
Brandon: Should I assume that the lawsuit to be filed in case SB249 passes is already being drafted by the "proper people"?

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 2:33 PM
Nice read. Any reason you left out the fact that no documented crime has been committed using a BB rifle?

Immaterial to the cost focus of this letter. Appropriations is looking at cost factors, not policy.

-Brandon

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 2:34 PM
Brandon: Should I assume that the lawsuit to be filed in case SB249 passes is already being drafted by the "proper people"?

Trust that there won't be any issues filing a timely action.

-Brandon

XD40SUBBIE
08-09-2012, 2:34 PM
Immaterial to the cost focus of this letter. Appropriations is looking at cost factors, not policy.

-Brandon

Right- 1.5B can sure fund a lot of schools in California...

Rock6.3
08-09-2012, 2:35 PM
To all the folks who are busy congratulating Brandon for doing what he already knows was a good job:

Have you informed at least 20 people about the need to take action against SB249? If not then you are not helping Brandon as well as you could.

IEShooter
08-09-2012, 2:38 PM
Good job on the letter. Very nice read.

Like you, I think the taking issue will be what kills this bill. While I know that some courts in CA are downright hostile to our 2A rights, I still have high confidence that we'd be granted an injunction while it plays out in court.

This bill absolutely does not clarify existing law. It is a new law that seeks to ban hundreds of thousands of guns that are legally sold and owned in the state.

I'm sure they will try and argue that AR's and AK's could be converted to "featureless" by the owner to be brought into compliance. Even if the court buys this argument, what about the tens of thousands of other guns that use bullet button type devices to comply with the fixed mag reg?

There is simply no safe way to bring these rifles into compliance.

I see this as little more than a hail mary pass by the anti's that has little chance of becoming enforceable law here in CA.

XD40SUBBIE
08-09-2012, 2:42 PM
To all the folks who are busy congratulating Brandon for doing what he already knows was a good job:

Have you informed at least 20 people about the need to take action against SB249? If not then you are not helping Brandon as well as you could.

I posted it on FB, I have over 1800 people there...sent it to Assembly person Conway, sent it to my FFL.

RMikeL
08-09-2012, 3:18 PM
Another post to say "Good job."

Mike

Glock22Fan
08-09-2012, 3:28 PM
snip
For more on SB 249 or to take action against the bill, please visit Cal-FFL's SB 249 advocacy platform at http://StopSB249.org.

-Brandon

Went there. Why is there an FAQ button with unreadable very dark grey type on a black background? Are we supposed to be able to read this? If not, why have it?

Oh yes, and Wes's video overlaps the Tweets box.

I know that this may be DHTLM/CSS coding (I hate that inconsistent cr@p), but if it doesn't look right on I.E., it should.

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 3:29 PM
Went there. Why is there an FAQ button with unreadable very dark grey type on a black background? Are we supposed to be able to read this? If not, why have it?

Perhaps your browser is rendering improperly?

-Brandon

OlderThanDirt
08-09-2012, 3:30 PM
"If SB 249 passes in any form, Cal-FFL and its members will, without fail, immediately file a federal civil rights lawsuit likely in cooperation with The Calguns Foundation, the Second AmendmentFoundation, and others seeking injunctive and declaratory relief."

Perhaps we should point out that gut and amend bill SB124 can still be amended to allocate more money from the general fund to pay for judgements against the state.

DonFerrando
08-09-2012, 3:33 PM

It's just graphic design. If you click the banner it will take you to the FAQ.

Root66
08-09-2012, 3:47 PM
To(o) bad many in Sacramento don't care about costs!

Or citizen's rights.

Glock22Fan
08-09-2012, 3:47 PM
Perhaps your browser is rendering improperly?

-Brandon

Seeing as I earn my living modifying commercial client/server intranet software (you would easily recognize most of my "big name" clients), I think I would have noticed.

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 3:53 PM
Seeing as I earn my living modifying commercial client/server intranet software (you would easily recognize most of my "big name" clients), I think I would have noticed.

Seeing as you're the first person in 50,000+ to mention this, and didn't offer a screenshot for me to better understand the issue, maybe you could help me make the site better by doing so.

-Brandon

SanPedroShooter
08-09-2012, 3:54 PM
Beautifully written. Shared.

tbhracing
08-09-2012, 3:56 PM
Great letter and thanks for all of the hard work.

Farrier-1
08-09-2012, 6:09 PM
Man-o-man. I wish my brain has those capabilities.

Thank you Brandon.

Saigon1965
08-09-2012, 6:30 PM
Brandon -

I can't seem to locate the donate to button on Cal-FFL site -

Lu -

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 6:49 PM
Brandon -

I can't seem to locate the donate to button on Cal-FFL site -

Lu -

Cal-FFL is not a 501(c)3 like CGF is (in order to be more politically active), but we do accept donations at paypal@calffl.org.

-Brandon

SWMP15
08-09-2012, 7:04 PM
Wow, that is an excellent letter. Thank you Brandon!

smirnus3000
08-09-2012, 7:26 PM
Right on!! Now they know where we stand and what will happen if they pass this law. I will be joining cal-ffl as well as donating to cgf. Thank you very much for all that you do. People like yourself try to bring sanity back to our laws.

mconrad
08-09-2012, 7:33 PM
Well done. Thank you. Several months ago I enrolled in an automatic monthly payment to CGF, and I only regret that I can't afford more.

tankarian
08-09-2012, 7:38 PM
"Senator Yee's bill has gone from dangerously incompetent to an outright assault on the property and civil rights of millions of law abiding California gun owners, Cal-FFL members, and the entire firearms ecosystem," said Cal-FFL president Brandon Combs. "Our letter plainly shows how misguided SB 249 is and why Sen. Yee's proposed policies are not right for California, not now, and not ever."

The million dollar question is: DO THEY CARE?

Looking at the pitiful mess California is in right now due to their incompetence and corruption, my guess is: NO, THEY DON'T.

wjc
08-09-2012, 8:27 PM
Yup.

Unless it hits them where it hurts...in their re-election hopes.

ColdDeadHands1
08-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Nice work Brandon. Thank you!

Brick562
08-10-2012, 7:50 AM
Strong. Good work.

tankarian
08-10-2012, 8:04 AM
Yup.

Unless it hits them where it hurts...in their re-election hopes.

You are so naive, where do you think you are? In a State where politicians have to fight for their seats?
FYI: this is California, the liberal La-La land, the one-Party nanny State where our Dear Leaders promise us free stuff and in exchange they get elected for life.
"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate" --Dante Alighieri, Inferno

Drivedabizness
08-10-2012, 8:07 AM
I want to be you when I grow up, Brandon.

Top 'o the hat, Sir.

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Over 2,300 reads of our letter so far! (http://www.scribd.com/doc/102470096/Cal-FFL-SB-249-Opposition-Asm-Appropriations-STOP-SB-249)

BigRobb
08-10-2012, 1:00 PM
Great job keep it up!

Not one inch!

BrianRodela
08-10-2012, 1:20 PM
I think the one thing missing are those who use the NM AR-15's for High Power matches. The rules are very specific that no dimensional alterations can be made to the "issued configuration" for "Service Rifle" competition. The grip alterations would be a disqualifying factor in these matches. CMP and NRA have already bent over backwards by allowing the use of the bullet button in competition (for those of us who reside "outside" the rest of the United States!!!) but rules are indeed rules. I'm sure they couldn't give two craps about even members of military marksmanship teams but then I guess I'm asking for too much! Other than that, well written! Thank you

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 1:27 PM
I think the one thing missing are those who use the NM AR-15's for High Power matches. The rules are very specific that no dimensional alterations can be made to the "issued configuration" for "Service Rifle" competition. The grip alterations would be a disqualifying factor in these matches. CMP and NRA have already bent over backwards by allowing the use of the bullet button in competition (for those of us who reside "outside" the rest of the United States!!!) but rules are indeed rules. I'm sure they couldn't give two craps about even members of military marksmanship teams but then I guess I'm asking for too much! Other than that, well written! Thank you

Remember that this is an Appropriations-focused letter. Further, from a policy perspective, NRA match rules are pretty far down the totem pole of arguments.

-Brandon

me109g4
08-10-2012, 2:28 PM
Nicely written, a lot more eloquent than my standard "bull in a china shop" approach to things. Regards, jeff T

Peter.Steele
08-10-2012, 7:26 PM
Over 2,300 reads of our letter so far! (http://www.scribd.com/doc/102470096/Cal-FFL-SB-249-Opposition-Asm-Appropriations-STOP-SB-249)

I'm one of them.

100% agree with you. Very well-written, fantastic job.

wildhawker
08-10-2012, 7:41 PM
I'm one of them.

100% agree with you. Very well-written, fantastic job.

Thank you!

-Brandon

Paul S
08-10-2012, 7:53 PM
Your letter sir, is an excellently crafted factual scorecard on all this is wrong with the proposed legislation.
Well done and we will have to watch closely for the outcome. If it does reach the governor's desk I fear he'll sign it as I doubt he has the stones to veto it.
Paul

nicki
08-11-2012, 4:40 AM
Since this has the potential of being a 1 billion dollar plus liability for the state, the obvious group to ask for support would be the Howard Jarvis foundation.

The California Taxpayer will eventually get hit big on this one.

The other group are government unions. Many government workers had to make concessions because of the state budget and we are not only talking state, but county and city as well.

Those of us who are working for the government should do the following:

Start a petition at our jobs and get our coworkers to sign the petition so that when we talk to our union reps, we can tell them that we took pay and benefit cuts in good faith and we feel the state legislature is acting in bad faith when they push ideological driven bills that will probably cost the state over 1 billion dollars in civil rights damages.

This is a money issue guys, most people don't understand the issue, this is your chance to reach them on our issue in a way that they see affects them.

Our line is simple:

The state passed so called AW bans because AWs carried lots of bullets and magazines could be rapidly changed.

Many people like the "Ergonomics" of AWs versus the old style rifles, so what the bullet button did was create an attachable magazine.

Since the gun had a fixed magazine, unlike non AW semi auto rifles, it is a felony to use about 10 round magazines with the bullet button guns.

Gun owner's in good faith modified their semi auto military patterned rifles so that they would hold no more than 10 rounds and would be slower to reload, thus the high magazine, rapid reload features were removed.

The Supreme court ruled that common arms are constitutionally protected, so Sen Yee's bill is opening up the state for violating the civil rights of gun owners under the 2nd, 5th, 9th and 14th amendments of the constitution.

Nicki

Rob7.62
08-11-2012, 7:01 AM
Very well written and seems to get the point across in many ways. Thank you

Quser.619
08-11-2012, 4:57 PM
Is there a way we can be more vocal to the NRA to see that they get more publicly involved? I'm sure they are already doing things behind-the-scenes...

donw
08-12-2012, 7:23 AM
well done, Brandon.

the only problem i have is with the legislators themselves: logic, common sense and reasoning seem to NOT be present in California state legislature.