PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Redhawk or S&W 629?

1911Luvr
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a Super Redhawk with about 100 rounds through it. I always loved the look of the Super Redhawk but I've also always wanted a Smith 629. Which would you pick?

Fishslayer
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I I always loved the look of the Super Redhawk

Doode... are you drunk right now? The SRH looks like it was put together by Soviet era peasants after a really bad week long wodka bender. :D

But... if you want to tamp as much 2400 into a .44 Magnum case as you possibly can and then touch it off... The SRH will probably handle it. ;)

Depend on which 629 as well. A P&R shrouded rod type... I am there.

Seriously... an apples & oranges kind of thing, really. You should get both! ;)

44fred
08-09-2012, 11:18 AM
I owned a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk for many years. The hotter the loads the more accurate it was. 25yd one ragged hole, 185gr at 1900fps! They are built like a tank. SA trigger was ok.

Any S&W revolver will set you back more $. The action and trigger are usually worth the price of admission.

I would consider both if I was looking for a hunting gun.

I still have an almost new old school green camo bandelaro holster that was made for my old gun with a scope if you are interested. Also have a Leopold M8 4X silver scope as well. Both were used with the Ruger.

PS make sure you get the rings with the Super Red if you decide to buy, they come with the gun from the factory. The Smith will set you back another $100 or so for mount and rings if you scope it.

shooting4life
08-09-2012, 1:11 PM
I like my 629 p&r
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_3029.jpg
And 629pc carry comp
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2929.jpg
And if you really want to get a 44 cal bullet moving you can try and find a Dan Wesson 445 supermag. Below is my hunter pack.
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/fed2cd1b.jpg

Vacaville
08-09-2012, 1:27 PM
I envy people who have either. Voted for the 629 though.

Legasat
08-09-2012, 6:12 PM
The S&W is a great one, but so is the Ruger and less money.

maidendeth13
08-09-2012, 6:25 PM
Doode... are you drunk right now? The SRH looks like it was put together by Soviet era peasants after a really bad week long wodka bender. :D

But... if you want to tamp as much 2400 into a .44 Magnum case as you possibly can and then touch it off... The SRH will probably handle it. ;)

Depend on which 629 as well. A P&R shrouded rod type... I am there.

Seriously... an apples & oranges kind of thing, really. You should get both! ;)

Glad I'm not the only one.

The price is much nicer on the wallet than the S&W's though...

I'm at the same place looking for a .357 (except I saved up a bit more so I'm not considering Rugers anymore :))

den888
08-09-2012, 6:32 PM
I would buy the Ruger, more rugged and less $. Probably just as accurate. I have owned a Super Blackhawk, Redhawk and S&W Model 29, but sold them all. I found the SBH the easiest to shoot.

1911Luvr
08-10-2012, 12:01 AM
I owned a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk for many years. The hotter the loads the more accurate it was. 25yd one ragged hole, 185gr at 1900fps! They are built like a tank. SA trigger was ok.

Any S&W revolver will set you back more $. The action and trigger are usually worth the price of admission.

I would consider both if I was looking for a hunting gun.

I still have an almost new old school green camo bandelaro holster that was made for my old gun with a scope if you are interested. Also have a Leopold M8 4X silver scope as well. Both were used with the Ruger.

PS make sure you get the rings with the Super Red if you decide to buy, they come with the gun from the factory. The Smith will set you back another $100 or so for mount and rings if you scope it.

It does have the rings and both the original grip and a Hogue grip. The Ruger is well under $600, so after reading your post I can't say no. I don't plan to hunt at all; I just wanted a .44Mag and a gun I've always liked. I will eventually own the 629 or possibly a 29 if the right deal comes along, but at the $$ they go for (pre-lock versions) it'll be awhile...

1911Luvr
08-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I like my 629 p&r
And 629pc carry comp
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/IMG_2929.jpg
And if you really want to get a 44 cal bullet moving you can try and find a Dan Wesson 445 supermag. Below is my hunter pack.
http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu30/shooting4life/fed2cd1b.jpg

Man that's a nice DW! Can I pet it? lol

orangeusa
08-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Seriously, the way things are going in the revolver market, I'd buy both, and shoot the heck out of the Ruger, and put the S&W in storage.

Sell the S&W when you need money.

Neither gun will let you down. And I like S&W's, but the Ruger RedHawk has a cool rugged look to it.

TakeFive
08-10-2012, 8:06 AM
If you don't like the looks of the Super Redhawk, why not a Redhawk? It was designed for the .44 Magnum in the first place. Chuck Hawks (Guns and Shooting Online) just reviewed it last month.

Fishslayer
08-10-2012, 8:26 AM
I like my 629 p&r

:Ivan:

VegasND
08-10-2012, 8:26 AM
I've owned them all and like the S&W best.

Currently the only .44mag handgun I own is a Redhawk.

I look at the S&W every time I see one -- they are just nicer revolvers and more enjoyable to shoot than the Rugers.

snubbyfan
08-10-2012, 9:11 AM
S&W 629. I'm a big fan of S&W revolvers.

Neptune
08-10-2012, 2:11 PM
I'd go with the Ruger Super Redhawk for a number of reasons.

Reasons for buying a Ruger SRH

1.) Less expensive by far
2.) Built like a tank. The frame alone is overkill, and the build is robust.
3.) Reloading manuals list wildcat loads as "Use only in Ruger Revolvers" for a reason. See #2
4.) Ruger has awesome customer service. Smith & Wesson customer service sucks. Really. I had an old Model 28 .357 they wouldn't warranty, and wouldn't even consider working on. How's that for backing your product? Not so good, I thought.
5.) Huge transfer bar safety. Feel free to carry all 6 rounds in the cylinder with no fear of a discharge from a hammer impact.

Reasons for buying the Smith & Wesson

1.) Awesome look and lines. Seriously, the 629 is an awesome piece.
2.) Tradition, history, etc. The same reasons guys buy Harley Davidson and John Deere. You grew up with them.
3.) Good enough for Dirty Harry.
4.) Beautiful trigger action. Really nice if you have it tuned. The stock triggers are great though.

I have a SRH in .454 Casull and love the gun. It's awesome, reliable, and capable of taking anything on this earth with complete confidence in it's functional ability. Sorry, but I don't trust my Smith revolvers the way I trust my SRH for when things go sideways and my life is at risk of being eaten.

SRH? Ugly? Perhaps. I don't need good looks when reliability and function count.

__

1911Luvr
08-10-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd go with the Ruger Super Redhawk for a number of reasons.

Reasons for buying a Ruger SRH

1.) Less expensive by far
2.) Built like a tank. The frame alone is overkill, and the build is robust.
3.) Reloading manuals list wildcat loads as "Use only in Ruger Revolvers" for a reason. See #2
4.) Ruger has awesome customer service. Smith & Wesson customer service sucks. Really. I had an old Model 28 .357 they wouldn't warranty, and wouldn't even consider working on. How's that for backing your product? Not so good, I thought.
5.) Huge transfer bar safety. Feel free to carry all 6 rounds in the cylinder with no fear of a discharge from a hammer impact.

Reasons for buying the Smith & Wesson

1.) Awesome look and lines. Seriously, the 629 is an awesome piece.
2.) Tradition, history, etc. The same reasons guys buy Harley Davidson and John Deere. You grew up with them.
3.) Good enough for Dirty Harry.
4.) Beautiful trigger action. Really nice if you have it tuned. The stock triggers are great though.

I have a SRH in .454 Casull and love the gun. It's awesome, reliable, and capable of taking anything on this earth with complete confidence in it's functional ability. Sorry, but I don't trust my Smith revolvers the way I trust my SRH for when things go sideways and my life is at risk of being eaten.

SRH? Ugly? Perhaps. I don't need good looks when reliability and function count.

Thanks for the comparison! I am not a hunter, at least not yet, but I was told I can get hardcast bullets for it that would allow me to hunt even the nastiest North American animals with the SRH. If that's the case and the SRH can be loaded hotter, that seems like it could be a lot of fun!

JTROKS
08-11-2012, 10:40 AM
I had a SRH with 7.5" barrel and it was a great shooter. I've also owned a SBH for more than 20 years now and it hasn't failed me and decided the SRH wasn't needed. With my experience in reloading hot 320 grain hardcast bullets, the SRH can take them and with the longer chambers it can accommodate a few extra grains of 2400 or 296 provided the bullet is seated out a bit. I did all that with virgin brass and large rifle primers and not one hiccup from the Rugers. I wish I can say that with the 454 SRH, but that's a different thread.

john45auto
08-11-2012, 2:30 PM
629 for looks and decent amount of range trips. Ruger to beat everyday