PDA

View Full Version : Where is Alan Gura?

misterjake
08-09-2012, 10:39 AM
We sure could use him right about now...

taperxz
08-09-2012, 10:42 AM

He is currently working hard fo all of us. He doesn't do lobbying as he is a lawyer:)

wildhawker
08-09-2012, 10:48 AM

What are you talking about? :confused:

-Brandon

Uxi
08-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I would love to see him suing Sacramento and/or Los Angeles instead of just Chicago and DC. Want SOME of my tax money to go to something useful, after all

safewaysecurity
08-09-2012, 11:03 AM
All over the place. His cardio must be phenomenal.

G60
08-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Srsly?

taperxz
08-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Guys, I'm assuming he asking where AG is in regards to AB249.

safewaysecurity
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
SB 249 hasn't even passed out of committee yet. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

08-09-2012, 11:16 AM
http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-056.gif

hoffmang
08-09-2012, 7:17 PM
He was actually in LA this morning arguing a stealth 2A case. No it will not help you or us, but yes it is important.

Our litigators can only attack that which is passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor.

Know that he's well aware of our goings on in California. If only NRA-ILA would have asked for en-banc on Heller II....

-Gene

jonzer77
08-09-2012, 7:20 PM
Hey guys

:gura:

GettoPhilosopher
08-09-2012, 7:54 PM
This thread makes him sound like Batman.

"Do you think he'll come back? I've been running the Gura Signal for days now...." :D

wash
08-09-2012, 7:57 PM
But Batman secretly wishes he was Alan Gura.

77bawls
08-09-2012, 8:28 PM
Know that he's well aware of our goings on in California. If only NRA-ILA would have asked for en-banc on Heller II....

-Gene

What would that have done?

GettoPhilosopher
08-09-2012, 8:33 PM

He's not the attorney we need.....he is the attorney we deserve. *DUN DUN DUN*

huntercf
08-09-2012, 8:38 PM
This thread makes him sound like Batman.

"Do you think he'll come back? I've been running the Gura Signal for days now...." :D

If it goes through I'm sure batman (uh I mean AG) will be back. Until then it is only a proposal.

five.five-six
08-09-2012, 8:40 PM
He was actually in LA this morning arguing a stealth 2A case. No it will not help you or us, but yes it is important.

Our litigators can only attack that which is passed by the legislature and signed by the Governor.

-Gene

I need to donate more money to CGF

five.five-six
08-09-2012, 8:43 PM

Chuck Norris wishes he was Alan Gura.

jmlivingston
08-09-2012, 8:46 PM

So does Chuck Norris. Sigh.... too late.

huntercf
08-09-2012, 9:09 PM
If Chuck Norris had a son (go with the pun) he would look like Alan Guru!

yellowfin
08-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Actually he needs to sue Delaware next. It would be EXTREMELY useful to you in CA as well as NJ and MA. I actually wonder why he hasn't already.

Kodemonkey
08-09-2012, 10:49 PM
You know that this SB249 is like pheromones for Alan Gura. If this passes we need a 2A dream team to come and just smack this bill.

hoffmang
08-09-2012, 10:54 PM
What would that have done?

En-banc had a high likelihood of being granted (and we have some specific comments from justices of the DC Circuit Court of Appeals that lead us to believe that) and if not, the dissents would have been strong enough to probably get a cert grant on AR-15s way before we all were expecting it...

-Gene

Jeffersonian
08-09-2012, 11:53 PM
What am I missing? Why wouldn't he ask for en banc? There isnt a negative if they deny it. It they granted it, the opinion wouldn't be worse.

safewaysecurity
08-09-2012, 11:57 PM
What am I missing? Why wouldn't he ask for en banc? There isnt a negative if they deny it. It they granted it, the opinion wouldn't be worse.

Probably feared that En Banc would also rule against thm and probably wanted better decisions on other 2A issues like carry and age restrictions etc to build up strong and persuasive arguments to help get a better decision later on back when it's appealed to CA again. Just my guess though. It's good to get a lot of good decisions on the smaller stuff before moving on to what some might consider the more controversial stuff imo.

misterjake
08-10-2012, 12:03 AM
I mean he's been involved with major cases and the Brady Center to Prevent a snowballs chance in surviving rated California with an A.

That alone should send Alan our way.....

Why not fight the biggest battles here? Afterall, California sets the trends.

Jeffersonian
08-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Probably feared that En Banc would also rule against thm and probably wanted better decisions on other 2A issues like carry and age restrictions etc to build up strong and persuasive arguments to help get a better decision later on back when it's appealed to CA again. Just my guess though. It's good to get a lot of good decisions on the smaller stuff before moving on to what some might consider the more controversial stuff imo.
I guess. . . But if thats the thinking then it seems the underlying case was premature. I haven't been following this stuff consistently enough but it seems that this was mismanaged from the beginning.

safewaysecurity
08-10-2012, 12:10 AM
I guess. . . But if thats the thinking then it seems the underlying case was premature. I haven't been following this stuff consistently enough but it seems that this was mismanaged from the beginning.

Everyone has said that the case was poorly constructed and tackled too many issues too soon so yes your assessment is correct. But Dick Heller wants what he wants.

Wherryj
08-10-2012, 9:23 AM
He is currently working hard fo all of us. He doesn't do lobbying as he is a lawyer:)

Yes, and I DO have a feeling that he may be providing some services should this abomination pass. I also forsee a brief by Mr. Kilmer as following almost immediately after said vote.

CA is going to waste a LOT of money with this bill. It WILL ultimately fail, if for no reason other than depriving honest citizens of property without compensation. We all know that CA can't even begin to fund ANY sort of buy back and Yee seems absolutely dead set against a new registration period.

I also hope that this wakes up the gun owners in CA. I've seen far too many on this board who state "I'm not a single issue voter" and continue to vote in these right-snatching pols. THIS SHOULD BE ALL THAT YOU NEED to decide whether to throw ANY of the clowns out that even so much as vote for this.

Our pols seem to forget that gun ownership is a pretty large minority-far more than the gay/lesbian/transgender group, far more than the illegal aliens or other groups that they seem so afraid of alienating. This is far more than another incremental attack on the 2A. This may just awaken those who make excuses for their local representative when they cast their vote.

You SHOULD be a single issue voter when it comes to depriving us of rights. It is a sign of not only the desire but the will to take whatever they can get away with. They MAY say that they support your "privacy in the bedroom", but anyone having no respect for your Constitutionally protected RIGHTS will do WHATEVER they wish given the opportunity.

ALL gun owners get out and vote against ANYONE who so much as votes for this bill. PERIOD. NO EXCUSES, NO PASSES. I don't care what "history" your representative has on ANY issue. Show them the curb next election.

dantodd
08-10-2012, 9:35 AM
I mean he's been involved with major cases and the Brady Center to Prevent a snowballs chance in surviving rated California with an A.

That alone should send Alan our way.....

Why not fight the biggest battles here? Afterall, California sets the trends.

Before you ***** about something you should at least know who is litigating the important 2A cases that are being argued in CA.

Moonshine
08-10-2012, 3:22 PM
I still can't see how this could hold up in a court when the sponsors are the same people who gave the green light for hundreds of thousands of AR-15s to be sold lawfully and now they want to confiscate. Any confiscation will be a wake up call nationwide that will make the fed ban look like small potatoes and we all know what haPoened to the folks who supported that bill...

misterjake
08-10-2012, 4:34 PM
Before you ***** about something you should at least know who is litigating the important 2A cases that are being argued in CA.

Wow. So asking a question or making a suggestion is ********? :mad:

No offense to those arguing cases in this state, but this state needs all the help it can get. Alan has done a hell of a job with two very critical cases in recent years.

OleCuss
08-10-2012, 5:12 PM

No offense to those arguing cases in this state, but this state needs all the help it can get. Alan has done a hell of a job with two very critical cases in recent years.

May have been a miscommunication.

To me, your post seemed not so much a question but a suggestion that Gura is in the wrong place for the important litigation.

Interesting that Gura is apparently involved in arguing a case in the last day or two and is tracking any number of cases here in California.

I get the impression that our best use of Gura is in strategic planning and in litigating at the Circuit and SCOTUS level. So you use California litigators for most of the stuff up through the District level while keeping Gura apprised of the important aspects of the cases and the arguments being made so that when he gets the case at the Circuit level or SCOTUS level - the proper preparation has been made and the SCOTUS finds it an attractive case for cert.

Anyway, that's my read on it. And I'm betting that Gura is briefed on each and every major court filing in California - so when something happens on Haynie/Richards, or Peruta, or Pena, or whatever, Gura knows what has happened and why.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of one fallible human being ending up being so central to the cause of freedom. But I have hopes that he is sharing the load and getting checked by other great litigators to help keep things on course.

But of one thing I am quite certain. Gura is in no way ignoring us.

Edit: It might be worth noting that a case was mentioned on Calguns.net. Within days Gura was mentioning that case in a court filing. We also know that the case came to his attention through CGN. I don't know if it is because AG lurks here a lot (I rather doubt it) or because people who are on this forum regularly communicate with him. Net effect is that Gura doesn't even ignore CGN, let alone our general legal plight.

goober
08-10-2012, 6:03 PM
SB 249 hasn't even passed out of committee yet. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

-Gene(emphasis mine)

^THIS

anthonyca
08-10-2012, 6:17 PM
En-banc had a high likelihood of being granted (and we have some specific comments from justices of the DC Circuit Court of Appeals that lead us to believe that) and if not, the dissents would have been strong enough to probably get a cert grant on AR-15s way before we all were expecting it...

-Gene

Why didn't they ask for it?

postal
08-10-2012, 6:43 PM
I'm confident Mr Gura is well up to speed on this, and probably drooling just waiting to act. Probably very busy researching MANY avenues to exploit this fiasco to the fullest extent.

Dont worry. He's on it.

misterjake
08-10-2012, 7:10 PM
May have been a miscommunication.

To me, your post seemed not so much a question but a suggestion that Gura is in the wrong place for the important litigation.

Interesting that Gura is apparently involved in arguing a case in the last day or two and is tracking any number of cases here in California.

I get the impression that our best use of Gura is in strategic planning and in litigating at the Circuit and SCOTUS level. So you use California litigators for most of the stuff up through the District level while keeping Gura apprised of the important aspects of the cases and the arguments being made so that when he gets the case at the Circuit level or SCOTUS level - the proper preparation has been made and the SCOTUS finds it an attractive case for cert.

Anyway, that's my read on it. And I'm betting that Gura is briefed on each and every major court filing in California - so when something happens on Haynie/Richards, or Peruta, or Pena, or whatever, Gura knows what has happened and why.

I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of one fallible human being ending up being so central to the cause of freedom.But I have hopes that he is sharing the load and getting checked by other great litigators to help keep things on course.

But of one thing I am quite certain. Gura is in no way ignoring us.

Edit: It might be worth noting that a case was mentioned on Calguns.net. Within days Gura was mentioning that case in a court filing. We also know that the case came to his attention through CGN. I don't know if it is because AG lurks here a lot (I rather doubt it) or because people who are on this forum regularly communicate with him. Net effect is that Gura doesn't even ignore CGN, let alone our general legal plight.

Ever read up on this guy named, George Washington? :stuart:

OleCuss
08-10-2012, 7:57 PM
Ever read up on this guy named, George Washington? :stuart:

Who?!!! Sounds vaguely familiar. . .

But seriously, GW had a lot of people around him giving advice. Only the bad generals are not listening to those around them.

My hopes for AG are similar.

And I really appreciate your pointing out the similarities between AG and GW. To a significant degree I think AG is securing the freedom GW fought for several centuries ago.

wash
08-10-2012, 8:40 PM
Why didn't they ask for it?
Ask the lawyer that Dick Heller hired.

It's not Alan Gura.

Any way, my guess is they didn't think an en banc would help them win and they just ignored the opportunity to create good case law in a loss.

dantodd
08-10-2012, 9:11 PM

He is also doing great work on cases right here in CA. The fact that you don't know that is certainly understandable. The fact that you don't know he is leading some of the CA 2A cases yet complain that he should be show is not so much understandable.

misterjake
08-10-2012, 10:03 PM
He is also doing great work on cases right here in CA. The fact that you don't know that is certainly understandable. The fact that you don't know he is leading some of the CA 2A cases yet complain that he should be show is not so much understandable.

His name scares a lot of people who are not our friends. I think he should show his face more. MLK didn't hide for civil rights, he was up front and center always in the front of rallies and freedom marches.

Gray Peterson
08-10-2012, 10:38 PM
His name scares a lot of people who are not our friends. I think he should show his face more. MLK didn't hide for civil rights, he was up front and center always in the front of rallies and freedom marches.

Charles Hamilton Houston and Thurgood Marshall didn't go in front of cameras much or made themselves the center of public attention. They left that job for the plaintiffs who were sympathetic, such as men like Oliver Brown. People like Rhonda Ezell and Otis McDonald are the public faces of 2A because they are injured directly by gun control.

They scared the southern DA's and AG's ****less. The only time the legal side cared what the political side did was when the political side tried to stomp on the legal side at inopportune times.

Leave the rallying to Brandon, Gene, Bill, Wes (tenpercentfirearms), and Brett (The_Quark) here in California. We're doing a pretty good job causing a massive storm over it. The possibility of a no win scenario for the state (2M in legal fees costs, over 1B in potential takings payments ordered by a federal judge, or a third scenario that is as bad for them) is starting to sink in.

wildhawker
08-11-2012, 12:39 AM
If it doesn't sink in, I'll be happy to help facilitate our lawyers' kids' post-baccalauréat educations.

-Brandon

NotEnufGarage
08-11-2012, 5:41 AM
If it doesn't sink in, I'll be happy to help facilitate our lawyers' kids' post-baccalauréat educations.

-Brandon

Plus, doesn't CGF have plans for the damage awards already? Gura would want a cut.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2