PDA

View Full Version : would having a AK or AR PISTOL parts kit be illegal if YEE'S bill passes?

bob7122
08-09-2012, 7:15 AM
i am curious if it would fall into any part of the bill.

SamsDX
08-09-2012, 7:21 AM
I don't think we've heard of any mention of constructive possession, so the kits should be fine. An assembled AR/AK pistol? That's definitely an issue because it's impossible to not have an AW feature (magazine attachment outside the pistol grip) in those guns. Take away the one thing that put you into the other statutory category of not having a "capacity to accept a detachable magazine" and voila, AW status.

nothinghere2c
08-09-2012, 2:38 PM
I understand you can separate the upper from the lower on an ar15 pistol, but how would you separate out an ak pistol (if sb249 passes and we wait for further resolutions)? Would removing the pistol grip and letting it sit in the safe be sufficient?

adamsreeftank
08-09-2012, 2:56 PM
There will also be a problem with the AR pistol uppers. If you have to disassemble your pistol lower to a non-functional status, would you then have exposure for constructive possession of a short barrel upper.

Conceivably, if you could fix the magazine in an AR pistol, you could still top load it, but for an AK pistol you would need to load through the ejection port. Trying to clear a malfunction would be an accident waiting to happen.

HBrebel
08-09-2012, 3:39 PM
screw Yee and his ludicrous ideals! Men like him are the reason this state is so screwed up.

stix213
08-09-2012, 3:41 PM
A top loading fixed magazine AR or AK pistol should still be legal if this new gun ban happens. Not sure if that is feasible on an AK pistol.

Capybara
08-09-2012, 5:51 PM
Curious, does anyone know what the implications would be for a Title 1 "Other" like the Franklin Armory XO-26? Not a rifle and not exactly a pistol although they transfer as a pistol. So I suppose the same pistol restrictions would apply?

stix213
08-09-2012, 7:44 PM
Curious, does anyone know what the implications would be for a Title 1 "Other" like the Franklin Armory XO-26? Not a rifle and not exactly a pistol although they transfer as a pistol. So I suppose the same pistol restrictions would apply?

CA law says it is a pistol with no ambiguity, so it will have to be dealt with same as any other AR pistol.

Carsgunsandchics
08-09-2012, 7:59 PM
But these pistols pretty much have no featureless option, besides being turned into rifles.

steelrain82
08-09-2012, 8:29 PM
^^^^which would be illegal since a pistol can't be rifle and vice versa. am I wrong?

Carsgunsandchics
08-09-2012, 8:35 PM
^^^^which would be illegal since a pistol can't be rifle and vice versa. am I wrong?

Pistol can become a rifle with a stock and 16" barrel. But rifle cannot become a pistol without a complete de-mil and ATF approved cut receiver, to become a re-weld.

the_natterjack
08-09-2012, 8:57 PM
How would one convert a Draco into a single shot pistol? in an manner that would allow an easy conversion back to semi-auto?

Hmmmm, as a single shot I would no longer need a mag lock and could use +10 capacity mags, couldn't I?

- Brian

Carsgunsandchics
08-09-2012, 9:04 PM
How would one convert a Draco into a single shot pistol? in an manner that would allow an easy conversion back to semi-auto?

Hmmmm, as a single shot I would no longer need a mag lock and could use +10 capacity mags, couldn't I?

- Brian

Still need a mag lock as they come with a sled and mag lock in SSE config. Gas system is intact. Sled would have to be re-installed and the sled fixed without a BB.

ramathorn
08-09-2012, 9:08 PM
Seems that the verdict is to get one before Yee throws a wrench in the mix.

the_natterjack
08-09-2012, 9:14 PM
Edit

Take out part of the gas system?

/Edit

Wouldn't that make this a bolt action, manually operated pistol?

As it's no longer a semi-auto pistol AW rules wouldn't apply and the SSE only applies to original DROS?

I dunno, I'm just fishing for ideas right now.

- Brian

Still need a mag lock as they come with a sled and mag lock in SSE config. Gas system is intact. Sled would have to be re-installed and the sled fixed without a BB.

Quiet
08-10-2012, 6:37 AM
Edit

Take out part of the gas system?

/Edit

Wouldn't that make this a bolt action, manually operated pistol?

As it's no longer a semi-auto pistol AW rules wouldn't apply and the SSE only applies to original DROS?

I dunno, I'm just fishing for ideas right now.

- Brian

Permanently disable the gas-piston operating system and it'll be a straight pull "bolt-action" pistol.
This can be done by removing the gas-piston and welding the gas ports closed. Just removing the gas-piston may not be enough, because it may be considered a "broken" assault weapon (which people have been convicted for having).

As a bolt-action pistol, it is exempt from CA's assault weapon laws and can legally use detachable magazines, a second handgrip & a threaded barrel.