PDA

View Full Version : SB249 discouraging from buying

jdsmilez
08-08-2012, 9:07 PM
As much as I have wanted to buy some sort of AR for the past 6 months (doing some research, saving money, etc.) I have become discouraged because of SB249 and thinking I should go with a handgun instead. Shot a .40 USP a couple weeks ago and loved it but not sure if I want to spend my saved cash on the pistol just because I am discouraged by a law that has only been proposed so far! Should I just go ahead and keep searching for a rifle (then spending extra money if the BS law passes) or should I wait until the dust settle?

tiechshlime
08-08-2012, 9:14 PM
It's discouraging, my lower gets outa jail on saturday and ordering another one!

doug-y-doug
08-08-2012, 9:17 PM
I would buy the AR first for sure. If it passes, one of two likely outcomes will occur. (1) You go featureless: buy an inexpensive kydex grip that fits over the rifle's pistol grip and remove the flash hider. (2) They reopen the assault weapon registry. You register it and you're good to go.

If you wait until it's too late, you might miss out on your chance to own one for a long time. I read something about Senator Yee saying that we'd need to have the mag release button welded over or the magazine welded on. Nonsense. Ain't gonna happen. INAL, but it sounds pretty sketchy to me. At a minimum, it's logistically and politically difficult, if not impossible.

Mr Wizard
08-08-2012, 9:40 PM
Welcome to Calguns.
Buy the rifletomorrow and while you are waiting for it to get out of jail, blow up (figuratively speaking) your legislators phones and emails demanding they oppose SB249.
Like dougydoug said, you can always go featureless if necessary.

These tools in Sacramento screwed up the first time when they tried to ban sport rifles by name and the OLL was born. You can bet they will screw it up again. They're not that intelligent.

dmcmillenfv
08-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I'm refinishing a pistol to sell, then I'm getting 4 more lowers. My days are numbered in this state anyways, I can't take it anymore!

jdsmilez
08-09-2012, 5:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback guns! On another note I have a responsible friend that is willing to keep the AR at his house and under his name until I move out of my house in a year or so (got some antigun people here). If I give him the money to get it am I held reliable for anything?

CitaDeL
08-09-2012, 5:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback guns! On another note I have a responsible friend that is willing to keep the AR at his house and under his name until I move out of my house in a year or so (got some antigun people here). If I give him the money to get it am I held reliable for anything?

Sounds like a straw buy.

Look, if you are letting a little legislation inhibit your desire to purchase something that is legal now, will you have any skin in the game if they are banned in the future?

I think that we ought to buy the things we want when we are able in spite of Yee and Keigwin's desires. In the event anti-gunners do try to take them, you are now a vested member of the oppressed. You have something to fight for.

sharxbyte
08-09-2012, 5:58 PM
Buy an AR and join the fight!

acolytes
08-09-2012, 7:23 PM
Buy the rifle. IF the law passes, turn it into a featureless..

jdsmilez
08-09-2012, 7:23 PM
Technically it wouldn't be a straw buy would it because it is going to be his and I will eventually transfer it to my name when I move out? I am really thinking about going for it AR already!

SJgunguy24
08-09-2012, 7:45 PM
Technically it wouldn't be a straw buy would it because it is going to be his and I will eventually transfer it to my name when I move out? I am really thinking about going for it AR already!

Technically it may not be a straw purchase (assuming you can own a firearm) but on the 4473 it says are you buying the firearm for yourself. So your buddy will be committing perjury.
Please stop posting about anything that can be used against you.

doug-y-doug
08-09-2012, 8:02 PM
Please stop posting about anything that can be used against you.

Take it easy. He's on the forum to ask legitimate questions. If he knew the law, he wouldn't be asking.

jdsmilez
08-09-2012, 8:10 PM
Thanks Doug! And it wouldn't go against me since if would be considered an illegal straw purchase I wouldn't buy it that simple. I can LEGALLY own a gun and so can he and it would stay at HIS house. Only time that wouldn't be true would be when I would take it to the range usually with him also!

davek8s
08-09-2012, 8:32 PM
Sweet! Another straw purchase debate!

doug-y-doug
08-09-2012, 9:04 PM
I don't know the law, but I would err on the side of caution. A better option might be to buy a stripped lower for now. If you're not familiar, that's the part of the gun the law considers a "gun" for transfer purposes. It's basically an unassuming piece of metal that wouldn't bother any anti-gun people in your house. They wouldn't even know what it is.

If you go this route, you won't have to worry about any unexpected DOJ interpretations of SB249, assuming it passes. A lot of things could happen. INAL, but it seems like SB249 leaves room for bans on featureless weapons as well, and if this happens, you won't have to deal with prohibitions on transferring the weapon back into your name. They might even reopen the registry, in which case you'd be good to go. During the time you're living with anti-gun folks, you can learn more about the platform and figure out what parts you want to buy for your new rifle. It will also give you time to save up for a nice optic and plenty of ammo.

Scratch705
08-10-2012, 12:30 AM
or just buy it yourself, and just keep it at your buddy's house. you don't have to make him buy it just to keep it at his house. especially if he has a gun safe.

Arkangel
08-10-2012, 8:29 AM
Buy all the AR's you want, don't let those beatnecks discourage you, my next lower gets out next Tuesday and I'm working on my pistol AR.

CSACANNONEER
08-10-2012, 8:33 AM
If anything, you should be buying EXTRA OLLs. Featureless rifles are so much easier to deal with than mag locked ones. Besides, you can use +10 round mags in them and really piss Yee off.

SilverTauron
08-10-2012, 9:37 AM
As much as I have wanted to buy some sort of AR for the past 6 months (doing some research, saving money, etc.) I have become discouraged because of SB249 and thinking I should go with a handgun instead. Shot a .40 USP a couple weeks ago and loved it but not sure if I want to spend my saved cash on the pistol just because I am discouraged by a law that has only been proposed so far! Should I just go ahead and keep searching for a rifle (then spending extra money if the BS law passes) or should I wait until the dust settle?

Buy the AR15 now. As far as case precedent is concerned, the California government cannot ban guns in common use, such as an AR pattern rifle. Problem is legally forcing the CA government to abide by that case history is going to take time. Life might be uncomfortable for a few years, but once the case is decided in your favor-court precedent being what it is now-you'll be glad you bought your AR15 before the prices went up.

SJgunguy24
08-10-2012, 9:29 PM
Thanks Doug! And it wouldn't go against me since if would be considered an illegal straw purchase I wouldn't buy it that simple. I can LEGALLY own a gun and so can he and it would stay at HIS house. Only time that wouldn't be true would be when I would take it to the range usually with him also!

or just buy it yourself, and just keep it at your buddy's house. you don't have to make him buy it just to keep it at his house. especially if he has a gun safe.

If your gun stays at your buddys (or in his possession) for more then 30 days, your supposed to transfer that firearm via a CA FFL. That means DROS and the 10 day wait. Then when you want it back, he would have to transfer via ffl back to you, DROS and the 10 day wait again. This is of course if you follow the law.
I understand new members tend to jump the gun a bit with their ideas, but some of the talk in this thread could be a gray area if not outright illegal.
Please don't take this as a put down in any way. Just get into the penal code and really read through everything and maybe look up some case law. Take this from a guy who has worked at an FFL and as a builder for an 07/02 SOT had to have a full grasp of state and federal firearms laws. Things that can be done in other states simply can't be done in CA legally.

Kinsel83
08-10-2012, 9:32 PM
Buy now bro, while you can.

CBruce
08-10-2012, 10:03 PM

What makes you think you'll be safe with a magazine-fed, semi-automtic handgun. That's a weapon with actual, verifiable statistics to back up legislative attention. I'm honestly surprised the anti-gun crowd hasn't made handguns the focus of their campaign. Likely because they've done such a good job of vilifying "assault weapons" and making people afraid of any black rifle with a pistol grip, that switching focus now might come across as disengenous.

If you're really worried about laws, stick with a pump-action shotgun. That's probably going to be one of the last firearms they try to take and one of the best things you can buy for HD. They're fun to shoot too.

jdsmilez
08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Thanks SJ.! No offense taken. I am simply going to buy a stripped lower or 2 and keep em at home.

ninjawho?
08-11-2012, 2:24 AM
go featureless and continue the battle.....dont give up...dont move..

Ruiner
08-11-2012, 2:40 AM
The only thing discouraging is that I have to wait a few more weeks to get my SCAR and PTR91 :(