PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Raptor

WWDHD?
08-08-2012, 8:53 PM
I saw a Kimber Raptor 2 (blue) today at a local GS. I really liked the finish and the machine work on it (scales). I even liked the stock grips and the sights were ok (could do with out the nightsights). Does anyone have any experience with the Raptor? How does the blue finish hold up? Long term durability? How would a Raptor compare to a Springfield TRP? Did a quick search here and mostly found stuff from the marketplace section. Thanks.

XVIga_Rob
08-08-2012, 10:25 PM
The Raptor is the same as the TLE or custom II, just the cosmetics are different. ;) Love my TLE! Next 1911 will be a stainless Raptor :D
As for how it compares to a TRP, well it's all in who you ask. Personally, I don't care for magwells, or the TRP's overly aggressive front strap checkering. Plus, springfields just seem thick & bulky to me. :rolleyes: I'll take a Kimber over a Springer anyday.

WWDHD?
08-08-2012, 11:05 PM
I was looking for a Springfield Loaded when I stumbled upon the Raptor. I know the SA TRP is a very well regarded pistol but costs just a bit more than my budget. I'm a bit leery of Kimbers simply because they have a rep for putting out a few to many lemons mixed in with lots of brilliant pistols.
Still I was impressed with the look and feel of the Raptor. Is it just a pretty face or is it a good quality gun? The GS guy said it was from the "Custom Shop", what does that mean?

sffred
08-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Kimber would be my choice! I believe SA frames are made in brazil now? I think

jessegpresley
08-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Are those the famous nutter butter grips?

SgtMerc
08-08-2012, 11:28 PM
The Raptor is the same as the TLE or custom II, just the cosmetics are different. ;)

I own a Custom II, and from trying out the Raptor in the stores, it seems to have better grip to the slide serrations.

I have wondered how that tackiness would be affected by a light film of oil. Any Raptor owners that can give their opinion?

SgtMerc
08-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Are those the famous nutter butter grips?

The raptor doesn't have peanut grips. You're thinking the Kimber Warrior and Desert Warrior.

I believe Kimber calls Raptor grips "snakescale" or something to that effect, and they're made of zebrawood. (I didn't even know that zebras grew on trees.)

Cyc Wid It
08-08-2012, 11:31 PM
I would put the Raptor in the same class as a SA loaded...

SamayouSamurai
08-08-2012, 11:34 PM
save the money and put aside more money for another year and buy Ed Brown Cobra Carry...:reddevil:
I have a TRP. I like it but it's a bit big. I'm buying Ed Brown Cobra Carry next.

glockman19
08-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I have the 3", 4" & 5" Kimber Raptors...IMHO, the finest firearms comming out of the custom shop.
There is a member selling one in the marketplace.

fremont lapua
08-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I have the raptor ultra 2 and I like it. I also like the scale serrations better then the traditional checkering.

BlackDrop50
08-09-2012, 5:09 AM
8000 rounds with only regular spring changes. No failures past break in period.

My Raptor feels tighter and more accurate than the TRP I rented right before I bought the Raptor.

dholla
08-09-2012, 11:38 AM
My Raptor runs like a top, pretty much my go to for single stack and range fun.

WWDHD?
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Sounds like mostly good opinions about the Raptor. Sure is a great looking gun. I think if I find one for a decent price before I find an SA Loaded stainless I'll jump on it. I knew the 1911 experts here would have the info I needed.

WWDHD?
08-09-2012, 8:46 PM
I visited another local gun shop and they told me that they have a Kimber Raptor 2 (blue, Gov size) coming in to them "sometime" but they don't know when. Their price is pretty good (lower than Bud's who is out of stock anyways). The GS said they're a "Master Dealer" and should get some priority over other dealers.
So what do you guys think: Should I put down a 50% deposit and hope for the best or am I walking into a bear trap? A few weeks or a month I think I could tolerate but much more than that I think I will really be kicking myself for getting into this. Does the "Master Dealer" thing really mean anything? Thanks for the advice.

LovingTheYear1911
08-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I would get the Kimber over a Springfield anyday. I cant imagine paying 1000 plus for a gun made in Brazil, sorry. I'd rather have my money stay here in the States.

Get the Raptor, its a beautiful gun and don't read too much into the internet horror stories. After all, its the internet.

glockman19
08-09-2012, 10:45 PM
The best price I've found for Kimber firearms is from a guy in Texas who is a master dealer.

Jim Jordan
Jim's Firearms & Shooter's Supplies
2318 Oak South
Nederland, TX 77627
409-722-4000
jimejordan@earthlink.net

WWDHD?
08-10-2012, 1:03 AM
I would get the Kimber over a Springfield anyday. I cant imagine paying 1000 plus for a gun made in Brazil, sorry. I'd rather have my money stay here in the States.

Get the Raptor, its a beautiful gun and don't read too much into the internet horror stories. After all, its the internet.

OK, I'm going for it. Risk big-win big. This will be by far the most I've ever spent on a single firearm.

pinoy916
08-10-2012, 6:54 AM
i own a Raptor ll, in blued finish, i also own a few other 1911s in Colts and SA, the Raptor ll would be my go to.
Love it!
Most gun stores have never even had a Raptor 2 come in the shop, Kimber does not produce the Raptors on a daily basis, unless its usually ordered based on what several stores have told me.
Most stores get the Warrior but rarely have a Raptor 2.
I know a 1911 guy that probably has more high end 1911s also tell me that its a great gun.
The slide is like on ball bearings, freakin smooth.

Im not into blue at all, but when i saw this handgun i knew i had to have it. It just shined and glimmered and was calling my name.

They dont pop up for sale often and im surprised the one for sale in the private firearm section has bot been sold yet.
My internals, trigger, grips etc have also all been replaced by Wilson Combat parts. Overall you wont be dissappointed.

It is one of the finest comig out of Kimbers Custom Shop. BUY IT!

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 8:19 AM
OK, I'm going for it. Risk big-win big. This will be by far the most I've ever spent on a single firearm.

Why not just order one from someone who has it in stock?

Damiiaaannn
08-10-2012, 9:10 AM
TRP any day.

WWDHD?
08-10-2012, 2:48 PM
Why not just order one from someone who has it in stock?

Because the price quoted to me on the Raptor from the store I'm dealing with is hundreds of dollars less than anyone else. Even lower than Bud's last price. Even at this price I'm reaching a bit beyond my budget. The other guys prices are simply to much for me.

Cyc Wid It
08-10-2012, 2:53 PM
i own a Raptor ll, in blued finish, i also own a few other 1911s in Colts and SA, the Raptor ll would be my go to.
Love it!
Most gun stores have never even had a Raptor 2 come in the shop, Kimber does not produce the Raptors on a daily basis, unless its usually ordered based on what several stores have told me.
Most stores get the Warrior but rarely have a Raptor 2.
I know a 1911 guy that probably has more high end 1911s also tell me that its a great gun.
The slide is like on ball bearings, freakin smooth.

Im not into blue at all, but when i saw this handgun i knew i had to have it. It just shined and glimmered and was calling my name.

They dont pop up for sale often and im surprised the one for sale in the private firearm section has bot been sold yet.
My internals, trigger, grips etc have also all been replaced by Wilson Combat parts. Overall you wont be dissappointed.

It is one of the finest comig out of Kimbers Custom Shop. BUY IT!

"It's a great gun - except I replaced all the internals with actual quality parts."

It's not a bad gun, but to infer that someone who owns high end 1911's views the Raptor as a basis for comparison even is reaching (a lot).

WWDHD?
08-10-2012, 8:46 PM
So I went down to the GS to put a down payment on that Raptor that is supposed to come in "soon". Now the sales guy doesn't want to take my down on it until he can get a better idea of when it will be shipped. They didn't hear back from Kimber today and the GS is closed on Monday. I feel like this deal is falling apart and I'm just not meant to get a Raptor at a price I can live with. I'll try to keep my patients until next week to see where this is going. I really like the Rap but maybe its not meant to be.

skosh69
08-10-2012, 9:26 PM
So I went down to the GS to put a down payment on that Raptor that is supposed to come in "soon". Now the sales guy doesn't want to take my down on it until he can get a better idea of when it will be shipped. They didn't hear back from Kimber today and the GS is closed on Monday. I feel like this deal is falling apart and I'm just not meant to get a Raptor at a price I can live with. I'll try to keep my patients until next week to see where this is going. I really like the Rap but maybe its not meant to be.

Get ahold of Yan at City Arms East in Pleasant Hill....they're a Kimber Master Dealer.

Last time I was at Guns, Fishing and More in Vacaville, they had 2..both blued models...

gmcal
08-10-2012, 9:42 PM
Kimber makes a good 1911. You should be aware that just because Kimber puts custom shop on it doesn't make it a custom gun. I believe Kimber did away with their custom shop several years ago. Internally the pistol will be a run of the mill Kimber, the same as a TLE II or Custom II mentioned earlier. That is not a bad thing, but you're paying for "scales", night sights, and grips (IIRC, the Raptor has an ambi-safety as well), not a trigger job, and hand fitted parts.

The TRP has some upgraded parts (extended magwell, ambi safety), armory kote finish, night sights and some very minor parts fitting. It's not a custom gun either.

IMO, if you can a good deal on them, they are both very good 1911's worth owning. I have a "tactical" 1911 so I would prefer the Raptor because I think it is a unique and good looking gun. I handled 1 years ago and I liked the scales.

.45heat
08-11-2012, 2:37 AM
Raptor, TRP Can't go wrong with either. Worst case scenario, say you only end up with the Springfield Loaded, you will be happy. But my advise if you really want a Raptor, get it, or you might not be happy with what you get instead. Then you will sell what you got instead, lose some money on that, and end up getting the Raptor after all. This is what I have experienced, bet other Cal gunners can agree.

WWDHD?
08-11-2012, 7:21 AM
Raptor, TRP Can't go wrong with either. Worst case scenario, say you only end up with the Springfield Loaded, you will be happy. But my advise if you really want a Raptor, get it, or you might not be happy with what you get instead. Then you will sell what you got instead, lose some money on that, and end up getting the Raptor after all. This is what I have experienced, bet other Cal gunners can agree.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I'll play footsy with this GS until the end of next week to see if they come through with this gun at the quoted price. If I get it, great. But if not at least I learned a lot and had an interesting discussion about a unique pistol that I didn't know anything about just a week ago.
By the way, I checked with two other GSs that had Raptors. Both were about $1500 (thats close to TRP $$$) which is way to much for me. This GS I'm dealing with quoted me $1150.

keenkeen
08-11-2012, 8:01 AM
Because the price quoted to me on the Raptor from the store I'm dealing with is hundreds of dollars less than anyone else. Even lower than Bud's last price. Even at this price I'm reaching a bit beyond my budget. The other guys prices are simply to much for me.

As I suggested "order one from someone who has them in stock"...They are on GunBroker for $1164 with free shipping. Seems reasonable.

Harley
08-11-2012, 8:03 AM
I got one for sale if your interested ...I can have it shipped out on Monday to your FFL .

WWDHD?
08-11-2012, 1:21 PM
I got one for sale if your interested ...I can have it shipped out on Monday to your FFL .

Thanks for the offer. I'm going to see how things go this week with my local GS. They are trying their best to make this deal happen. Apparently Kimber is not an easy company to get information (or a call back) from, even for a "Master Dealer". I'll keep your offer in mind.
Sometimes the Wanting is better than the Having.

.45heat
08-11-2012, 7:15 PM
By the way, I checked with two other GSs that had Raptors. Both were about $1500 (thats close to TRP $$$) which is way to much for me. This GS I'm dealing with quoted me $1150.[/QUOTE]

1150 for the Raptor is a bargain. I would jump on it also. Good Luck

cpatbay
08-13-2012, 4:51 PM
I have a raptor and it's reliable and accurate. Love it! $1150 is definitely a very good price for it.