View Full Version : Mk3 sights

08-08-2012, 5:25 PM
I just picked up a ruger mk3 target. I really like the sights that it came with the gun, however, they are very hard see over a black or draker target.
Im planning on painting the rear inner blade portion of the sight in white and may be paint the back portion of the front sights red or orange. Similar to some of the revolver sights.
Or buying a different front sight, however i feel that those hi-viz that ruger offers look so tacky on the stainless steel mk3. Im looking for something more subtle like a dot. And i dont want to replace the rear sightsp

What do you guys think? Pictures would be very helpful

08-08-2012, 8:13 PM
Try painting the front sights first and see how you like it. I made a mistake of painting both and my eyes didn't like the rears painted. Fluorescent green is what it used.

08-09-2012, 9:17 AM
You can get replacement parts from Ruger direct.....

They have a white dot front sight for $9.75.

They sell the rear sight blade for $2.50, but I didn't see a painted white outline version like I thought I would, so you might have to ask them if such a version is available. At the very least you won't have to worry about not being able to replace any screwed up attempts!!

08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
i have the target model. the front sight won't work, since its made for standard and height is different. and that's the blade that i have on my target mk3

08-14-2012, 6:06 AM
I have a similar problem with the MKIII sights being too dark to be seen over dark targets. It didn't cause a problem for me centering them windage-wise, but I had a heck of a time judging elevation hold. So I "painted" the front site post white using liquid-paper correction tape and it helped quite a bit.

I may eventually paint it permanantly, like with paint, but the correction tape has held up well, even shooting in the rain.

08-14-2012, 10:07 PM
I went to the hobby shop today to pick up some flourescent red for the front and flat white for the rear. Im going to paint the front sight first and see how i like it.

08-15-2012, 9:00 AM
I have a MKII bull barrel. I'd love to change out the front sight with this:

But it states it's for the III. Does anyone know whether it will work for the older II? Would I also have to swap out the rear so that the height was matched?

08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Thats for the regular mk3, target models have higher profile

08-15-2012, 10:19 PM
just painted the front sights...i like it a lot. still debating if i should paint the rear sights.