PDA

View Full Version : I called Gov. Browns office re BB

1987foxl90
08-08-2012, 5:33 PM
I called the office of the Governor and spoke to one of his "aides". I voiced my opposition to SB 249 and was told that it would be passed on to the Governor. The aide was mildly interested at best and between you and me I think my views were probably not expressed to the Governor. I think the cards are stacked against us gentleman! We have to keep fighting and let these idiots know that this will be an expensive fight in the courts if they pass this! The next step is important and we cant give up because god knows they wont! What is this? The third go around for this bullet button lunacy? Also we need to get smarter! How did our handgun open carry demonstrations go? Not to good! Now they are going after our long gun open carry. Also demonstration videos re alternatives to BB also give these idiots ideas about what to go after next. These people dont have a clue until we give them ideas!

IPSICK
08-08-2012, 6:16 PM
Why are you even dealing with the Governor at all yet? Quite a bit premature.

desertjosh
08-08-2012, 6:18 PM
I agree loose ships ect ect...good ideas should be done via pm with members that have a good history here. Or better yet phone.

ewarmour
08-08-2012, 6:28 PM
Now they are going after our long gun open carry.

Going after?

From our Senate:

(Open carry ban)

A.B. No. 1527-Portantino et al.
An act relating to firearms.
Vote required: 21
May 3-Read third time. Passed. Ordered to the Senate. (Ayes 44. Noes
29. Page 4661.)
May 3-In Senate. Read first time. To Com. on RLS. for assignment.
May 17-Referred to Com. on PUB. S.
Jun. 26-From committee: Do pass and re-refer to Com. on APPR. (Ayes
5. Noes 2.) (June 26). Re-referred to Com. on APPR.
Aug. 7-From committee: Do pass. (Ayes 5. Noes 2.) (August 6).

Bruceisontarget
08-08-2012, 6:35 PM
E-mails are better... they create a permanent record. As I wrote the Governor earlier this week, the fixed magazine is a safety hazard. The bullet button is a safer way for the gun owner to comply with California law. Yee gets his way "men die, women die, children die, everyone die."

1987foxl90
08-09-2012, 6:51 AM
Thanks for the info on the rifle open carry......I love this state but unfortunately its run by liberal idiots...time to leave when I retire unless something changes radically in our favor. These people that want our guns are all about controlling what you do. Take away our guns and we have to do what they say. No matter how stupid and or corrupt. I will be damned if they ever get any of my guns.

1987foxl90
08-09-2012, 6:55 AM
Premature to contact the Governor? I don't think so . We need to let him know this is going to be a major fight and we "will not go quietly into the night"! We need to voice our opposition everywhere we can.

IPSICK
08-09-2012, 7:42 AM
Premature to contact the Governor? I don't think so . We need to let him know this is going to be a major fight and we "will not go quietly into the night"! We need to voice our opposition everywhere we can.

Yes, premature because you should focus on the Assembly Appropriations Committee members now, then the full State Assembly if it passes Appropriations, then the State Senate if it passes in the Assembly, then the Governor if it gets that far. Diluting your efforts to contact someone who just might have more immediate concerns like the state economy, pension reform, education, etc. while SB249 is still barely on the edge of his radar is premature.

You could however prepare a detailed letter on why you oppose this bill now to send to him later. And from what I've heard, a detailed letter carries a lot of weight than calls and emails.

SocomM4
08-09-2012, 7:53 AM
Yeah, we should all wait till its on his desk before telling how we feel. :rolleyes:

sjwolf
08-09-2012, 8:01 AM
I can't shake the feeling that this will come down to Brown neither signing nor vetoing and we're stuck with it anyway

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2012, 8:33 AM
Of course the Governor's staff is going to blow you off for contacting him about a bill that hasn't even reached his desk yet.

Call the appropriations members.

1987foxl90
08-09-2012, 9:09 AM
I have sent e-mail to the appropriations members. I am concentrating my efforts there. I disagree about the Governor however. We don't all have to agree about how we go about this. In the end we still have the same goals.

1987foxl90
08-09-2012, 9:12 AM
Also I did write that the next step is the most important....I was talking about the appropriations committee

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2012, 9:15 AM
I have sent e-mail to the appropriations members. I am concentrating my efforts there. I disagree about the Governor however. We don't all have to agree about how we go about this. In the end we still have the same goals.

If you call the governor's office and they blow you off, are you saying that you should call them some more as it is somehow worth while? Or am I confused in what you are saying.

I am discovering through the advocacy process here that many, many people do not understand the basic workings of the government and it amazes me. Then again, I am a political science major so maybe I am over educated.

Another thing to think about it is previous governors have passed or vetoed bills just to screw with people. Don't annoy the guy who we want a favor from later.

cjc16
08-09-2012, 9:21 AM
You have the right to contact the Governor anytime you want. He supposedly works for us and we pay his salary. If he or any other elected official acts out of spite they should be recalled. We are not asking for favors here. We are demanding our civil rights.

taperxz
08-09-2012, 9:25 AM
You have the right to contact the Governor anytime you want. He supposedly works for us and we pay his salary.

Just as we all have the right to look in the mirror and preach to ourselves. What do you get out of it?

cjc16
08-09-2012, 9:32 AM
You're right. Maybe if I send him a fruit basket he'll veto sb249 for me.

taperxz
08-09-2012, 9:42 AM
You're right. Maybe if I send him a fruit basket he'll veto sb249 for me.

This is the problem with many here. This isn't about YOU. This is about rights for everyone in this state including the anti's.

It's not personal, it's politics. What the anti's need to understand is that if this is passed, it sets precedent. It allows the government to perhaps some day take away something dear to them. Proper strategy is important when engaging politics. Yelling at the governor now is (using your analogy) fruitless. The time to send the Governor fruit is when the fruit is ripe and the Governor is hungry.

IPSICK
08-09-2012, 9:45 AM
Of course the Governor's staff is going to blow you off for contacting him about a bill that hasn't even reached his desk yet.

Call the appropriations members.

I would also suggest for those who contact appropriations members to ask how they plan to vote. If they support sb249, engage them or their staff in a discussion on why they shouldn't. I will probably do this when I call them again to voice opposition.

cjc16
08-09-2012, 9:47 AM
No one said anything about yelling at the Governor.

taperxz
08-09-2012, 9:53 AM
No one said anything about yelling at the Governor.

Yelling figuratively. IE: Someone confronts you with a problem and wants you to solve it when you don't know all the facts and there is nothing you can do about it yet.

cjc16
08-09-2012, 9:58 AM
After the Fed AWB passed, the NRA came down hard on those involved. They actively campaigned to remove the offenders from office and get new representatives that would be more friendly to 2A. We all know what happened next at the Federal level.The Anti's IMO will never equate taking away gun rights with something they might lose in the future. That, I believe is futile. We need to let the California Legislature know that if they proceed down this path, there will be consequences come election time. Asking for favors IMO is "fruitless".

bwiese
08-09-2012, 9:58 AM
Why are you even dealing with the Governor at all yet? Quite a bit premature.

The CA NRA has asked us to politiely contact the governor and request he retain his stance on this matter that he had when he was AG.

taperxz
08-09-2012, 10:07 AM
The CA NRA has asked us to politiely contact the governor and request he retain his stance on this matter that he had when he was AG.

You mentioned that in another post. Other CGF members have asked us to stand down on this. No one wants to be a fly in the ointment. Which is it?

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2012, 10:42 AM
You mentioned that in another post. Other CGF members have asked us to stand down on this. No one wants to be a fly in the ointment. Which is it?

You have to make up your own mind on that. The theory is that if we remind Brown this might be an issue, he might be able to do some back door tricks to slow it down or stop it.

So if you are going to call the governor, you might as well directly ask him to lead the state and help move away from SB249.

If you call and ask him to veto it, the staffer is going to laugh because it isn't there yet.

We need to let the California Legislature know that if they proceed down this path, there will be consequences come election time. Asking for favors IMO is "fruitless".Except you live in California. There are no consequences for this. I can tell you are new. Give it time and you too will understand threatening legislators with loss of office over passing anti-gun bills in California is an empty threat. Unless you are like me and live in Shannon Grove's district where her voting yes on this would be political suicide. Not only does she know this, she doesn't believe in it and is on our side.

All the liberal controlled districts? No threat whatsoever.

taperxz
08-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks Wes, for those that do want to contact him it would be good to perhaps help people keep the context of their message in line with you suggestion. ( in your CGF hat)