PDA

View Full Version : Any clays/skeet clubs near Coachella Valley?

Fherot
08-08-2012, 4:31 PM
The sporting clays / skeet bug is biting harder and harder and I really miss my highschool days of wandering around the meadows of Blythe with a 20g O/U and doing dove hunting in season.

I'm wandering if anyone knows of any good places for a beginner that's near Coachella Valley (Palm Springs). If there is one I can justify buying a second pump action to get started and eventually work my way up to an O/U like a browning or beretta. My Supernova has ghost ring sight on the receiver an barrels are so expensive I'd rather just buy a field version instead if there's a club/range to try out.

I broke clays out in desert with my Mossberg 500 and will do same with my supernova when I pick it up but dying to really get into this sport more.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

RayPDA
08-08-2012, 8:02 PM
It's about a 40 some mile trip from the palm springs area, but Redlands shooting park is a great place to shoot- they offer trap, sleet, a short sporting course... And in the near future; wobble and bunker from what I hear.

Fherot
08-08-2012, 8:23 PM
Thanks I didn't even know Redlands had a shooting park, I don't mind the drive there at all.

GunninIt
08-09-2012, 2:08 PM
Since you're willing to drive, definitely hit up Redlands Shooting Park. Here's my review:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=596153

Fherot
08-09-2012, 6:56 PM
Looks like a nice big open space to have fun.

I just need an appropriate shotgun now...

Decided to tighten the belt and not buy a single accessory for anything I have and save up madly. The rails and MBUS for my Sig 522 have to wait...

Torn between a Browning Citori and a Benelli M2 or Vinci. I really love the classic over/unders with polished walnut and such... But since I am a poor guy the M2 is several hundred dollars less and is a lot more versatile in the long run.

Isn't money a pain?

GunninIt
08-09-2012, 7:55 PM
Looks like a nice big open space to have fun.

I just need an appropriate shotgun now...

Decided to tighten the belt and not buy a single accessory for anything I have and save up madly. The rails and MBUS for my Sig 522 have to wait...

Torn between a Browning Citori and a Benelli M2 or Vinci. I really love the classic over/unders with polished walnut and such... But since I am a poor guy the M2 is several hundred dollars less and is a lot more versatile in the long run.

Isn't money a pain?

I own a Benelli M2 Field 12 gauge with a 28" barrel. I love it - absolutely love it. I have not had it hunting yet, so I'll only speak to sporting clays and skeet. It's an impeccable shot/target gun. I've not had ANY issues with it to date, having put 1000+ rounds through it already. I mostly have used 1 1/8 oz target loads, but have put through a couple boxes of 1 oz target loads with no issues. Before I bought my M2, I demo'd one, and put it through 200 rounds worth sporting clays using 1 oz target loads. It never ftf or ftl. When I run through all my 1 1/8 oz shells, I may switch up, but to be honest, have felt no need to yet.

I was at a skeet lesson with our local coach a few weeks back (check out the stickies up top here) and had a blast (no pun intended). He had me doing things I had no idea I could do. The gun handled it all flawlessly. My times on the sporting clays range have been filled with fun - no frustration. I have no doubt that my days in the field will be filled with the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RayPDA
08-09-2012, 7:57 PM
A field grade Citori would be pretty versatile, but I'd give an edge to the Benellis if your hunting involves water, mud, being dragged thru the bush ;)

Take a look at the newer Winchester 101s too- made by FN in Belgium (the older ones are Olin Kodensha of Japan). I think they might still be available thru CDNN for a hair under 1k. I've handled one and they do feel nice and look well built.

I say save up once, buy a Benelli Semi. Then save up again, and buy a good O/U like a Citori, 686, etc. Or vice-a-versa! :D Get what you like, what fits and feels good to you, and will fit to what you want to do with it.

on a side note, if you're up for some American Trap, Tri-County Trap club has a club shoot every 1st Sun. of the month - people are welcome to shoot as guests. Our final shoot of the season is on the 26th so if you head out there for some sporting, drop by the trap fields and say hi! I'll be one of the handful of guys under 35.

The owner and crew are great people; Terry always shoots some of the higher scores in the club. You'll even see him get in the doubles bunker to load so the trapper can move squads thru faster...and then he'll shoot! Oh, and Kim Rhode shoots out there sometime...our last shoot last Sunday...we had a film crew for some San Gabriel Valley local station filming because of Kim

oh and it's another 30min further than Redlands, but come out to Raahauges too -

crackerman
08-09-2012, 8:33 PM
I really need to get out to redlands because my sister goes to school out there. it looks like a great.

On the gun side if you are set on an over/under look at the Franchi Instinct L. Made by a good company (owned by Beretta) and made in Italy. Retails for about $1000 and has a 7 year warranty. Sure not a B gun but for learning not a bad entry price and sellable down the road if you get B gun serious.

Fherot
08-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I think I'm settled on the Benelli M2 American. If I could shoot slugs all day from my Mossberg 500 I think I could shoot field loads without a Comfortech. Especially for the $400 price difference... $40 for a Benelli hardcase and don't think I'd miss the 2 chokes that don't come with it.

~$800 makes it feel so easily attainable... Stupid property tax in December is $950 alone. ugh.

Think Riverside County would let one payment slide so I could grab a M2?

Edit: I also need to really sit down and read the differences between Trap, Sporting Clays and Skeet...

I'm going to Turner's Sunday to pickup my Benelli Supernova, maybe I'll pass by the range just to make a mental note where it is. Really excited about getting into this sport and making my hobby more 'official' than plinking in the desert.

I used to go with the wife to the Renaissance Faire in Corona (she's a nerd...) and we always heard gunshots from the fields somewhere. I bet that was Raahauges guests having fun... I'm sure the more I get into it I will start driving further and further out, I actually like Corona. Even got used to the cow smell...