PDA

View Full Version : Amazon delivers a SIG716 instead of a TV

vantec08
08-08-2012, 5:07 PM
http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Man-Orders-TV-from-Amazon-Gets-High-Powered-Assault-Rifle-Instead-165494346.html

All Seth Horvitz wanted was a Westinghouse 39-inch LED television. Instead, he got a high-caliber, semi-automatic assault rifle.

Scratch705
08-08-2012, 5:11 PM
lucky man.

Sunday
08-08-2012, 5:39 PM
I find that hard to believe. Think about the whole gun sale procedure.

MrEd
08-08-2012, 6:37 PM
I wouldn't be too upset to find a sig 716 instead of a TV waiting for me when I come home , I would be way to busy playing with it to even notice I am missing a TV !!!!! :p

ir0nclash86
08-08-2012, 6:38 PM
I dont find it hard to believe because this just happened to me as well.

m98
08-08-2012, 6:46 PM
I dont find it hard to believe because this just happened to me as well.

Please do tell.........do tell.......

Peter.Steele
08-08-2012, 6:47 PM
Hm. I think I'd probably just shut up and run out real quick and find another TV just like it.

FourLoko
08-08-2012, 6:51 PM
if only it were a gun person

I want one

ir0nclash86
08-08-2012, 7:11 PM

The story is a little long. Do you want the quick version or the long one.

bob7122
08-08-2012, 7:16 PM

loooooooong version please.:D

m98
08-08-2012, 7:16 PM

Doesnt matter, us cgnnrs like to read about stuff like such. As long as it aint a

"Kool story bro"

Scratch705
08-08-2012, 7:20 PM

as long as it can fit into one post? :D

ir0nclash86
08-08-2012, 7:24 PM

I had mailed in my ar trigger and scar 16 lower a couple of weeks ago for some trigger jobs to Bill Springfield. Anyways I got them back less than one week later and all was great. One week later i received another package in the mail from him but was wondering what it could be since i already got my stuff back. Thought maybe it was some free t shirts or merchandise or something. I sliced the box open and surprise surprise! Inside was a sigp226! I was shocked to say the least and double checked the shipping info and sure enough it was addressed to me.

I noticed there was an old shipping label with a return address to a place in Torrance but it was a toyota dealership address with no shippers name but it did have a number. I called them to see who shipped a package to Bill but they couldnt figure it out. I called Bill Springfield and told him what happened. I offered to deliver it to the guy since the place he works at is only 40 minutes away as long as he could get me the guys name and home address. He agreed to do it. Well i never heard back from Bill after 6 days of waiting. I sent him a couple emails and called him numerous times with no avail. Wasnt sure if he was ignoring me or something bad happened to him. I decided to go ahead and ship the gun back to him since he wasnt responding. I wasnt gonna keep the damn thing. Last thing i need is to get busted if this gun gets reported stolen when im just trying to help the owner out.

I was goin to reuse the old box that it came in and when i was pulling the two shipping labels off i found a third shipping label! This time it had a name and home address. I called the toyota dealership again and asked if that guy worked there and they connected me to the guys office number. Told the owner what happened, he laughed, thanked me and i went ahead and got it back to him the next day.

Rand B. Wilson
08-08-2012, 7:30 PM
Just think how pissed the guy is gunna be opening the box on his new rifle only to find a krappy Westinghouse TV..

Don the savage
08-08-2012, 7:35 PM
Surprisingly enough they got a brady quote in on the Click through

snobord99
08-08-2012, 7:36 PM
I find that hard to believe. Think about the whole gun sale procedure.

Really? You find it hard to believe someone could put a shipping label on the wrong box?

I don't know that's what happened here, but that's how easy this could happen...

Carbuncle
08-08-2012, 7:38 PM
Wow, I didn't even know Amazon sold actual firearms!

shortyforty
08-08-2012, 7:41 PM
That's kinda scary. Did Bill Springfield ever make contact with you? I hope the owner appreciated your honesty and effort!

Spartanmk1
08-08-2012, 7:47 PM
Did you guys read the whole article on the Washington Post?

They felt the need to slip this little tidbit into their article.
James Holmes, the madman suspected of shooting 70 people, killing 12, in Aurora, reportedly purchased thousands of bullets and ballistic gear on the Internet in the months before the massacre.

Caroline Brewer, a spokesperson for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said in a statement to Fox 5 News that she's glad the gun Horvitz received didn't end up in the wrong hands.
"This mishap could have led to another tragedy," Brewer said."

ir0nclash86
08-08-2012, 7:47 PM
That's kinda scary. Did Bill Springfield ever make contact with you? I hope the owner appreciated your honesty and effort!

Bill still hasnt contacted me. He always responds to emails the next day but hes left me hanging. I evem sent him another email posing as a different person who wanted some trigger work to see if he would respond. If he responded to that then i wouldve known he was ignoring me but i never received a response. So im not sure if his medical condition is alright since hes pretty old

Yeah the guy thanked me numerous times. Hes a calguns member actually but i dont remember his username.

cabinetguy
08-08-2012, 8:24 PM
since when has amazon had firearms for sale? I call BS. As far as getting a gun from a gunsmith by mistake, it can happen, but I will wait for my abrams tank from amazon in place of my hello kitty mouse pad, just in case. BTW im not worried about the shipping on the tank, I have a prime account.

Rorge Retson
08-08-2012, 8:25 PM
Full story HERE (http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/08/08/13184562-couple-orders-tv-on-amazon-gets-semi-automatic-rifle-instead)

Around 6 o'clock Tuesday evening, Seth Horvitz opened his door, expecting to find a package containing a television he'd ordered through Amazon.com. But instead of his new gadget, he found a semi-automatic rifle.

Horvitz instantly knew that the long, narrow box on his doorstep couldn't possibly contain the television he and his wife ordered. "I actually flagged down the UPS guy and asked if there was anything else for me," Horvitz told TODAY.com. Confused, he took the box inside and opened it.

At first, when he saw some metal parts, he thought, "maybe it was some accessories for the television."

But that thought didn't last long. Horvitz soon found himself staring at a Sig Sauer SIG716.

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=rosagolijan5E84EA98-F38F-98DF-9275-6B27EE918541.jpg
Courtesy of Seth Horvitz

Still surprised, Horvitz logged into his Amazon account and contacted the individual from whom he'd ordered a used Westinghouse television. While he did place his order through Amazon, it was in fact for an item offered by an independent seller with a storefront on the online retail site.

He still hadn't received a response by the time his wife, who is expecting the couple's first child, arrived home. She was followed by a group of friends, due for a dinner party. Naturally, the strange delivery was the main topic of discussion. Eventually someone pointed out that it may be illegal to possess that particular firearm in Washington, D.C., where Horvitz lives. It was time to call the Metropolitan Police Department.

"I just told them the simple truth," Horvitz says, about his call to the police. "I ordered a TV on Amazon and this came instead." Officers came and "they just kinda inspected [the package] and when they determined that it was an illegal firearm they said they had to take it away."

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=rosagolijan66C4296F-2B1F-82EC-8B99-CD575E7FEB77.jpg

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=rosagolijan4DA094F5-E443-1D06-4586-D1F98FF7D0EA.jpg
Courtesy of Seth Horvitz

Officer Araz Alali, a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police Department, was unable to comment on the situation. "The matter is under investigation," he said.

In the meantime, Ginger Colbrun, a public affairs officer for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), told TODAY.com that Horvitz handled the situation properly. "Since he was not the intended recipient of the firearm, or if it is illegal to posses the firearm in his location, the correct action would be to turn it over to law enforcement," she said.

Once the rifle was removed from their home, Horvitz and his wife decided to contact the Brady Campaign, an organization which focuses on reforming the gun industry "by enacting and enforcing sensible regulations to reduce gun violence, including regulations governing the gun industry."

"Why doesn't [a carrier] mark assault rifles if they're being shipped? Everyone down the line should know if there's a weapon in a package," Horvitz said. "Hopefully spreading this story can make things safer in the future."

Volunteers from the Brady Campaign offered to contact local news outlets to get word of the strange mixup out, Horvitz was interviewed by blogs such as DCist, and his friends tweeted about the situation.

"It was clearly the wrong package from beginning to end," Horvitz said, pointing out that even the invoice included with the firearm was quite clear: It was for $1,589 and listed a different seller and buyer.

Horvitz paid $324, including shipping, for his missing television. He won't be using it any time soon, but he is being refunded for the amount.

John Browning
08-08-2012, 8:28 PM
I would have just shut up and ordered another TV.

bohoki
08-08-2012, 8:30 PM
hmm i'm gonna have to order me one of them tvs

is it a armalite ar-10 compatable

BucDan
08-08-2012, 8:32 PM
What brand tv was this? Lol...

dirtyJ
08-08-2012, 8:48 PM
Why don't people mark stuff "assault rifle?" Because every POS who works at UPS and Fedex will steal it. People need to think before they open their mouths and spew moronic comments.

*I am in no way saying that everyone who works at UPS and Fedex is a POS, just that there are plenty of POS's who work at UPS and Fedex :).

Ackrite
08-08-2012, 9:05 PM
http://baemedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/fffffffuuuuuuu-386x300.jpg

Why don't these types of good things happen to me????

MrOrange
08-08-2012, 9:23 PM
-and one of his first reactions is to call the Brady campaign!

Makes perfect sense, if one sees this as an opportunity to rail against guns.

I'll be surprised if the Metro boys don't end up charging him with possession.

Arisaka
08-08-2012, 9:31 PM
Why the **** would he call the Brady campaign? What a douche.

23 Blast
08-08-2012, 9:46 PM
Well it's a good thing that children are safer with the Brady Campaign in full effect.

vintagearms
08-08-2012, 9:54 PM
Given the last name of the recipient Im not suprised. Jews didn't wake up after WW2 so Im not sure what its gonna take. :confused:

m03
08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
since when has amazon had firearms for sale? I call BS.

-and one of his first reactions is to call the Brady campaign!

Makes perfect sense, if one sees this as an opportunity to rail against guns.

"Why doesn't [a carrier] mark assault rifles if they're being shipped? Everyone down the line should know if there's a weapon in a package," Horvitz said. "Hopefully spreading this story can make things safer in the future."

Hmmm. Something funny is going on here.

Toyman321
08-08-2012, 10:10 PM
Am I the only one that noticed that Seth's fingernails are painted red? May explain why he alerted the authorities instead of insisting that his TV had been lost in a tragic boating accident?

GDM
08-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Its photo shopped, I mean it even has him wearing nail polish :TFH:

Carbuncle
08-08-2012, 10:30 PM
While he did place his order through Amazon, it was in fact for an item offered by an independent seller

Ah, there is the problem. Remember kids, always make sure it's Amazon that is fulfilling the order otherwise you'll never know WHAT you'll get.

Also, yea a pretty douchey move to contact the Brady bunch on what, so far, appears to be an honest shipping mistake.

Am I the only one that noticed that Seth's fingernails are painted red? May explain why he alerted the authorities instead of insisting that his TV had been lost in a tragic boating accident?

Wh,what's so weird about a man having his fingernails painted?
For all we know his wife conned him into letting her paint them with the false promise of sex. And then when she didn't put out, he had to go to work and get heckled by his co-workers over myhis sparkly lavender fingernails!

AndyB
08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Except amazon doesn't sell firearms, this story reeks of anti bull$****

Aces and 8s
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not buying what this story is selling.

Turbinator
08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Except amazon doesn't sell firearms, this story reeks of anti bull$****

No, Amazon wasn't the shipper. Private parties can sell on Amazon, and it sounds like some kind of private party shipping mishap.

Dunno why this dude called the Brady's, though.. That was totally dumb.

Turby

morfeeis
08-09-2012, 3:57 AM
Just think how pissed the guy is gunna be opening the box on his new rifle only to find a krappy Westinghouse TV..
i'd be pissed......

Zartan
08-09-2012, 5:50 AM
Why doesn't [a carrier] mark assault rifles if they're being shipped? Everyone down the line should know if there's a weapon in a package," Horvitz said. "Hopefully spreading this story can make things safer in the future."

Enough with the word assault! Man this guy is a tool.

mt4design
08-09-2012, 8:08 AM
If if this was shipped by another shipper there are serious issues.

#1. Amazon doesn't sell firearms.

#2. Wouldn't any purchase require the involvement of an FFL?

#3. Shipping a weapon to D.C. is restricted.

I don't buy this story. In fact, I'd like to have the serial number run and find out who actually purchased this rifle.

It sounds like "Fast and Furious" but with amazing success in reacquisition of the firearm.

Especially given the move by TPTB to stop online purchases of ammo, re-loading materials, magazines, etc.

This story, along with it's nice quotes about evil black guns and the Brady connection smells of a set up.

1911su16b870
08-09-2012, 8:14 AM
+1 something is fishy about this whole story.

FFL sending to non-FFL.
Person not contacting the FFL (sender), but calling the Police and Brady.

redcliff
08-09-2012, 8:26 AM
I"d say the dude should turn in his man-card, but I doubt he has one.

mt4design
08-09-2012, 8:28 AM
Check this out...

From http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/district-of-columbia.aspx

PURCHASE

A person may buy a firearm only from, or sell only to, a licensed dealer in the District. Delivery cannot be made until the registration certificate for the firearm is approved by the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). Ammunition may be bought only for the caliber or gauge of a firearm registered to the buyer.

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2012, 9:43 AM
This guy is a grade a liberal douche bag. Just call the gun shop and let them know they accidentally sent the wrong package to you. It isn't that hard. Freak.

I am surprised the gun didn't load itself and cause him to go shoot up a school.

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2012, 9:48 AM
I"d say the dude should turn in his man-card, but I doubt he has one.

Truth!

bombadillo
08-09-2012, 9:52 AM
Story writers are tools, guy receiving package was a tool, and idiot brady party is a bunch of tools as well. Who know, maybe a well constructed plot by an idiot lib in the shipping industry who wanted to make a statement. May be a little tinfoil hat, but honestly could easily be the case with the colorado shooting, SB249, and everything else on the table right now.

As for the gun being shipped, I would have ordered another TV right quick being a crappy westinghouse. Must be a lib to have ordered a crappy TV without looking up a decent one anyway :D

SNCaliber
08-09-2012, 9:55 AM
umm..why would you say anything, just keep it haha

Montu
08-09-2012, 10:01 AM
what the hell are you guys talking about

it was purchased from a private party who mixed up the packages (anyone can sell on amazon)

in the first article I read it said the invoice showed a shipping address of an ffl

Res
08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Story seems very strange indeed.

.45heat
08-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Can you imagine how more pissed he would of been if he had ordered more nail polish, and instead got the Sig. This guy is a major tool and a half. Check out the pic closely his finger nails are painted black. Maybe the Sig didn't go with his outfit.

tenpercentfirearms
08-09-2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/09/dc-musician-orders-tv-gets-assault-rifle-instead/?test=latestnews

Turns out the gun shop mailed it to the correct address, UPS switched the labels.

TNP'R
08-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Mix up with the shipping company rather than Amazon, Amazon doesn't even sell ammo much less guns. If there's a secret site let me know lol.

Wnick308
08-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I would feel sorry for the guy waiting for his rifle to show up at the FFL.

1911su16b870
08-09-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/09/dc-musician-orders-tv-gets-assault-rifle-instead/?test=latestnews

Turns out the gun shop mailed it to the correct address, UPS switched the labels.

Thanks for the answer!

dustoff31
08-09-2012, 2:09 PM
"Why doesn't [a carrier] mark assault rifles if they're being shipped? Everyone down the line should know if there's a weapon in a package," Horvitz said.

Because it is against federal law for a carrier to do that, for obvious reasons. That is a common sense gun law I can agree with.

The War Wagon
08-09-2012, 2:13 PM
Enough with the word assault! Man this guy is a tool.

Gaydar has pinged a WELL-DEFINED target! Definitely too wussy to know a GOOD thing when he sees it... :rolleyes:

HonkingAntelope
08-09-2012, 2:57 PM
There's is no way a UPS label would simply 'come off'. As someone pointed out in a dupe thread, some thief working for UPS probably switched the labels to keep the TV without realizing there was something a lot more valuable inside the other box.

russ69
08-09-2012, 3:05 PM
If you order a TV and you get a package that is not the right size for a TV, you call the store you bought the TV from and let the shipping company handle it. You do not open it up, take pictures of everything, thumb through the owners manual and call the police and the media. The guy is a stupid attention seeking whore.

hcbr
08-09-2012, 3:21 PM
I would of just kept the gun and not say a damn word. I would of just bought another tv and call it a day

nothinghere2c
08-09-2012, 4:37 PM
sure private parties can sell stuff on amazon but I've never seen any private party functional firearms on there... Of course I could be wrong but this story does seem too coincidental. A firearm arrives to the perfect brady campaign candidate who gets interviewed and a story is spun to make it sound like we barely dodged the bullet on another batman massacre...

hmmmm....

nothinghere2c
08-09-2012, 4:41 PM

aaahh this makes more sense... Just annoys me how they spin the article and keep claiming "assault rifle!"

Nitro Express!
08-09-2012, 4:53 PM
"It's an assault weapon rifhurr! It kills babies while they sleep! Mark the post office packages in florescent colors for the kittens and small children!"

:rolleyes:

ArkinDomino
08-09-2012, 6:46 PM
This guy's story is national news and he gets pictures taken with him wearing nail polish....

Wow.

gasol1ne
08-10-2012, 3:58 AM
similar thing is happening to me now. i order a crate of surplus ammo and i wasnt home to sign for the delivery. So in the infinite wisdom of the UPS delivery dude, he goes and leaves it at my neighbor's house and has them sign for it, and he leaves a note at my door saying that he delivered it at my neighbor's house. I go to my neighbor and all of the sudden they have no idea about any package.

I call UPS and they say its been signed for, I call the place I ordered, and they tell me its arrived. What a hassle that UPS dude has caused me.

m03
08-10-2012, 8:13 AM
I would of just kept the gun and not say a damn word. I would of just bought another tv and call it a day

Until the receiving party realized that their merchandise never arrived, and they started tracing what happened to the package...

keenkeen
08-10-2012, 8:47 AM
Given the last name of the recipient Im not suprised. Jews didn't wake up after WW2 so Im not sure what its gonna take. :confused:

Wow...

Bigoted much?

Keep this kinda crap in OT where they will put up with it.

:mad: