PDA

View Full Version : Moderately priced 1913 rings?

Gary O
06-12-2007, 9:30 AM
Does anyone manufacture true 1913 Mil Spec scope rings for a moderate (under $50) price? I wish to avoid the loose fitting “Weaver-type” rings made these days. Thanks…

maxicon
06-14-2007, 10:03 AM
The problem is the M1913 Picatinny spec is for the rails, and not the gear that mounts to it. If there's a spec for the recoil lugs and such, I haven't seen it, and would appreciate any links.

What this means is that there's a lot of leeway out there in the size and shape of the recoil lugs and/or cross-slot screws, and many people make them small so they'll fit both Weaver and Picatinny slots.

Unfortunately, most vendors don't supply this kind of data with their rings, so you don't know until you actually get a pair in hand and measure them (or find someone who will do this).

So, back to your question:

The popular lower-priced rings in AR world are Warne Maxima, Leupold QRW and PRW, and Burris XTR/Xtreme.

I've got a pair of Warne Maxima, and not only is the recoil lug skinny, it's a separate piece from the rings, and is loose in its slot, so you probably wouldn't be happy with it.

I have a couple of pairs of Leupold QRW and PRW, and they have a recoil lug that's wider and sturdier than the Warne, but are still sized to fit the Weaver-style mounts, so will have some slop.

I don't have any Burris XTR rings, but they're popular over at arfcom. They've got 3 screws per side, and are wider than the Leupold and Warne as a result. If anyone has them, please post pics of the recoil lug arrangement.

The ones more likely to have a tight fit in a Picatinny spec slot are ones like LaRue, ARMS, etc, but they're more expensive.

Best bet for Weaver-compatable rings is to make sure they're pushed all the way forward before tightening.

Here's a pic of a Warne ring disassembled:

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/optics/warne_maxima_30mm_2a.jpg

ocabj
06-14-2007, 10:34 AM
TPS rings. Available via Brownells for a good price if you have a C&R FFL (dealer discount).

mike452
06-15-2007, 1:03 PM
Good luck finding any true 1913 Mil Spec at all! Under $50 would be next to impossible.

I have Leupold Mark4, Nightforce, Badger, and TPS rings. They all have very loose fitting cross slots.

My Armalite aluminum 1-piece 30mm mount/rings has a good fit.

maxicon
06-15-2007, 2:36 PM
I forgot about the Armalite rings. I have a couple of sets of them, and they're pretty sturdy, but I'd have to check the recoil lugs on them and see how well they fill the slot.

You can get them from their clearance page for $30/pair, which is a pretty excellent deal:

http://www.armalite.com/sales/specials/excess/Excess031008.htm
EX0029 ARMALITE 1" SCOPE MOUNT ASSEMBLY (2 PIECE) 89.00 30.00

RobG
06-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Dont know if it will work for you but I have a one piece mount from 10% that is very solid. Right around your 50 too.
http://www.tenpercentfirearms.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=104