PDA

View Full Version : Unregistered hand-me-downs question

mkashew
08-08-2012, 12:48 AM
I have two hand guns that my grandpa gave to my Dad, and my Dad just gave to me that I want to register but I'm not sure if I can (I'm still new to guns).

I have a Colt Commando Special (the unpolished one made during the strike) that my grandfather bought 30+ years ago and also a Walther PPK given to him by a friend.

The registration papers for both weapons are gone. My grandpa is 90 years old and there is no point to even ask him if he still has the papers (I asked my dad though and he has no idea).

As for the PPK, it was given to my grandpa by a friend who left the country many years ago back to China, he's dead now.

Can I just take it to a store and register them to my name, or will there be complications?

Any help would be appreciated.

unusedusername
08-08-2012, 1:01 AM
When did your dad give it to you? Was it a long time ago, before transfer paperwork was required (1994? Not sure of date...) or more recently?

If it was given to you a long time ago, owning an unregistered gun isn't illegal. Why do you want to register it?

If it was given more recently, there is the interfamily transfer form at the DOJ that you need to mail in. The form is online, but I can't dig up the link now as I'm posting from my phone.

Going to a store is useless as they can't do it there.

Jeepers
08-08-2012, 1:05 AM
Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf?)

Ron-Solo
08-08-2012, 1:20 AM
Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction (http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/oplaw.pdf?)

This is the legally correct way to complete the transfer. You will need a Handgun Safety Certificate before submitting the form.

mkashew
08-08-2012, 2:03 AM

Wow seems easier than I thought (after getting a certificate).

I really like guns now but like I said I'm still new to it. I just assume if I want to shoot it at an indoor range I should have it registered.

I've actually already shot both at a camping trip at some blm-owned? land, also wonder what happens if I get caught by a ranger or something if it's not registered.

mkashew
08-08-2012, 2:08 AM
When did your dad give it to you? Was it a long time ago, before transfer paperwork was required (1994? Not sure of date...) or more recently?

If it was given to you a long time ago, owning an unregistered gun isn't illegal. Why do you want to register it?

Going to a store is useless as they can't do it there.

My dad gave it to me just a few months ago, but my grandpa gave it to him 20+ years ago.

I guess my main concern is whether or not I would get punished for a situation like shooting it at blm land or a range without registration.

In 1994 I was 7 so it wouldn't be good to tell an authority figure that my dad gave me a revolver and pistol at that age lol

Flintlock Tom
08-08-2012, 11:50 AM
There is no mandatory gun "registration" in CA.
You must, however, report the transfer to the firearms division of the CA DoJ on the form linked above.
If a LEO checks the serial number he will be informed that you are the current owner of that firearm. All legal and above board.

Librarian
08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Welcome to Calguns!

Question asked and correctly answered - see also the link to the wiki FAQ page, below.