PDA

View Full Version : Reuters going after semi HGNs, hicaps, and EBRs

Paladin
08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Title says it all, but their primary targets in this article are semi HGNs and hicaps. I guess they want us to use S&W revolvers, which come in, IIRC, 5, 6, 7 or 8 shot models. Plus, you can carry multiples of those ("New York reloads").

http://news.yahoo.com/handgun-type-used-sikhs-mass-shooting-weapon-choice-051221545.html

XD40SUBBIE
08-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow, as a Springfield handgun owner, I'm offended that they compared the XD to a Glock.:rolleyes::rofl2:

bohoki
08-07-2012, 11:23 PM
whats a HGNs

Paladin
08-07-2012, 11:28 PM
whats a HGNs

HGNs = handguns
(SGNs = shotguns)

bohoki
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM
HGNs = handguns
(SGNs = shotguns)

i thought sgn meant "shotgun news"

Paladin
08-08-2012, 12:08 AM
i thought sgn meant "shotgun news"

No, context controls. For example, in the OP it says, that they want to ban "semi HGNs and hicaps," and offers as an alternative S&W revolvers that hold between 5 and 8 rounds. From the context and knowing even the basics about guns one would know HGNs must therefore be an abbreviation for handguns.

Similarly, OC is commonly used as an abbreviation for Open Carry, the active ingredient in pepper spray, or for Orange County. Again, in the vast majority of uses, context will guide you.

But since you're a newbie to CGN (that stands for CalGuns.Net), your confusion is understandable....

Wrangler John
08-08-2012, 5:18 AM
Good thing Reuters has a poor reputation and little political clout. Read this:

http://www.zdnet.com/reuters-hacked-fake-news-posted-7000002122/

Zartan
08-08-2012, 5:46 AM
Semiautomatic handguns are the weapon of choice for mass murderers

:facepalm:

NotEnufGarage
08-08-2012, 6:48 AM
HGNs = handguns
(SGNs = shotguns)

Those are not common abbreviations. You just made them up to boost your ingerwebs cred.

Stop it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Paladin
08-08-2012, 7:59 AM
Those are not common abbreviations. You just made them up to boost your ingerwebs cred.

Stop it!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2If you can't figure out those by their context, you probably can't figure out what IQ means either.... :p

NotEnufGarage
08-08-2012, 8:17 AM
If you can't figure out those by their context, you probably can't figure out what IQ means either.... :p

Very classy. I happpen to have respect for our language and don't just make up new acronyms to make myself look wiser. I guess you see some need to.

KracknCorn
08-08-2012, 8:31 AM
Not to throw wood on the fire... but HGNs is really ambiguous. If you really wanted to abbreviate Handguns, an HG would have sufficed better.

Chosen_1
08-08-2012, 8:36 AM
Well, at least most of the commenters see through the BS...

MaHoTex
08-08-2012, 9:25 AM
These people are complete morons...

"... Page emptied several magazines in the shooting..."
"James Holmes, the man accused of killing 12 people in a shooting spree last month..."
"Jared Loughner, who is accused of killing six people and critically wounding Representative Gabrielle Giffords..."
"Seung-hui Cho, the Virginia Tech University student who killed 32 people"

What is the common thread here people? Would it be the crazy murderer set on killing people? Nope. Could not be that...

According to the author, "The common thread binding the mass attacks together is that they all used semiautomatic handguns with high-capacity magazines."

Wiz-of-Awd
08-08-2012, 9:41 AM
...But since you're a newbie to CGN (that stands for CalGuns.Net), your confusion is understandable....

bohoki is a newbie here on calguns.net? With 11,000+ posts made?

A.W.D.

Wherryj
08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
whats a HGNs

The Home Gardening Network?

Wherryj
08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
No, context controls. For example, in the OP it says, that they want to ban "semi HGNs and hicaps," and offers as an alternative S&W revolvers that hold between 5 and 8 rounds. From the context and knowing even the basics about guns one would know HGNs must therefore be an abbreviation for handguns.

Similarly, OC is commonly used as an abbreviation for Open Carry, the active ingredient in pepper spray, or for Orange County. Again, in the vast majority of uses, context will guide you.

But since you're a newbie to CGN (that stands for CalGuns.Net), your confusion is understandable....

I thought that OC was an abbreviation for pepper spray? (Oleoresin Capsicum)

bandook
08-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Semiautomatic handguns are the weapon of choice for mass murderers

Sometimes Kool-Aid is the weapon of choice.

Next Up: Yee proposes a 10 day cooling off period before one can purchase Kool-Aid.

Sunday
08-08-2012, 2:04 PM

"James Holmes, the man accused of killing 12 people in a shooting spree last month..."
"Jared Loughner, who is accused of killing six people and critically wounding Representative Gabrielle Giffords..."

What is the common thread here people? Would it be the crazy murderer set on killing people? Nope. Could not be that...

According to the author, "The common thread binding the mass attacks together is that they all used semiautomatic handguns with high-capacity magazines."
I wonder if they were on antidepressants? And would big pharmas clout ever let the facts be known..

bohoki
08-09-2012, 7:42 PM
bohoki is a newbie here on calguns.net? With 11,000+ posts made?

A.W.D.

i must be since ive never seen handguns shortened to HGNS

NotEnufGarage
08-09-2012, 8:08 PM
i must be since ive never seen handguns shortened to HGNS

Its all cool. Apparently, there's an interwebs affectation that hits some and causes them to make up words and acronyms to boost their perceived coolness. LOL

fpeel
08-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Not to throw wood on the fire... but HGNs is really ambiguous. If you really wanted to abbreviate Handguns, an HG would have sufficed better.

HG is already in common use. It means "hang glider." :rolleyes:

bohoki
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
i blame it on sms texting

dustoff31
08-10-2012, 12:09 PM
James Holmes, the man accused of killing 12 people in a shooting spree last month at a theater in Aurora, Colorado, used one .40-caliber Glock handgun and had another one in his car. The weapons were purchased legally within the previous 60 days.

Jared Loughner, who is accused of killing six people and critically wounding Representative Gabrielle Giffords in a January 2011 attack in Tucson, Arizona, used a Glock 9 mm semiautomatic pistol with a magazine that held more than 30 bullets. He also had legally purchased the gun at a local shop and bought ammunition at Wal-Mart.

Seung-hui Cho, the Virginia Tech University student who killed 32 people and then committed suicide in 2007, also used a Glock semiautomatic handgun.

The common thread binding the mass attacks together is that they all used semiautomatic handguns with high-capacity magazines, Spearman said.

But that's not the only common thread. Another is that they were all known nutballs who were ignored.

We all know that making them prohibited possessors wouldn't have stopped them from getting a gun if they really wanted one. But at least we wouldn't have to spend so much time explaining/countering how it is that they could just walk into a store and buy one.

monk
08-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Hey man, makes sense. Vehicles are the weapon of choice for hit and runs and getaway drivers. ban cars!

lordres
08-10-2012, 12:31 PM

Common THREAD? Pants! They all wore PANTS!