PDA

View Full Version : PAWNING a shotgun

maxwell0700
08-07-2012, 7:52 PM
So my dads a broker and he and my brother found a mossy 590 12ga in an attic of a home they were looking at. Now what I'm wondering is can we sell it to the pawn shop? I don't know who it belongs to.

AAShooter
08-07-2012, 7:55 PM
Call an FFL and ask . . . if you can sell it, clean it up and list it here.

stator
08-07-2012, 8:04 PM
That would be stealing and I'd bet you know it. Tell your father to contact the owner which is probably his client.

daves100
08-07-2012, 8:15 PM
I would ask them if they left a firearm in the house when they moved out and if so have them tell you what it was, Rifle , pistol, shotgun ect...

welchy
08-07-2012, 8:20 PM
That would be stealing and I'd bet you know it. Tell your father to contact the owner which is probably his client.

Taking something left behind in a house is not stealing.

prc77
08-07-2012, 8:24 PM

It does not sound like he owns the house, So it would not be there's to take, it would be stealing.

USMC 82-86
08-07-2012, 9:13 PM
I would at least try to contact the owner before doing anything with the gun. In the words of my Grandfather. "If it doesn't belong to you, it belongs to someone else and taking it is stealing even if you find it." I think his point was you have to make the effort to return it to the rightful owner. If you come across a dollar on the ground you have little chance of finding the rightful owner. Finding a gun in the home should be much easier to find the rightful owner.

P5Ret
08-07-2012, 9:16 PM
And there is always the chance that it is stolen in the first place (before it was found), you try to sell it and that happens you'll have some explaining to do.

Of course this section of the penal code, is food for thought too.

485. One who finds lost property under circumstances which give him
knowledge of or means of inquiry as to the true owner, and who
appropriates such property to his own use, or to the use of another
person not entitled thereto, without first making reasonable and just
efforts to find the owner and to restore the property to him, is
guilty of theft.

maxwell0700
08-07-2012, 9:34 PM
ok, i see, thanks for the info you guys. very informative, ill talk to my dad and see if we can locate the owner again. i think that was foreclosed and became a bank owned home, not sure.

M1NM
08-07-2012, 9:47 PM
It is if your not the one buying the house.

Shooters Sight
08-07-2012, 9:59 PM
Whatever the situation is, you can't sell a firearm you don't own or not registered to your name.

JaMail
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
what does registration have to do with it?

Whatever the situation is, you can't sell a firearm you don't own or not registered to your name.

AdiosKali
08-08-2012, 6:04 AM
P5,

I was going to throw down the same PC section...