PDA

View Full Version : Which scope to get for Remington 700 p?

PistolPete75
06-11-2007, 10:55 PM
What kind of scope do you recommend for a 700 p which includes rings? I'm shooting .308

My objective is for medium to long range precision shooting.

Budget is around $1,000.

Nikon Tactical 4-16X 50mm Matte (Side Focus) 30MM Tube -Mildot
I was looking at this. Any thoughts on this?

Must have are excellent glass, good eye relief, and holds good ground zero. I don't need no fancy illuminated recticle.

Comstock Lode
06-12-2007, 7:01 AM
zeiss.

ocabj
06-12-2007, 8:43 AM
A friend of mine, Todd Spotti, reviews lots of optics, and recently he brought up Zeiss's warranty policy which is very strict.

Basically, Zeiss has a very particular warranty that requires you to do such things as send in the warranty card within X amount of days, otherwise the product is not warranteed. Also, the Zeiss scope must be purchased from one of their authorized dealers, otherwise it is not warranteed (thus, you can't get one used or secondhand otherwise there is no warranty). Also, if they deem the scope was damaged due to misuse or abuse, they will not service the scope.

I understand the misuse/abuse to some extent, but what does that mean to them? Would they consider putting a Zeiss on a .338 Lapua Magnum abuse? Or how about a 50BMG? What if you send in your scope just suddenly stops tracking and you send it in and they claim it's because you dropped the scope when you didn't?

Not a very good warranty policy considering the name that Zeiss is as far as the optics industry is concerned.

Anyway, $1000 is a pretty good budget. I figure you'll spend around $175-$250 for a base and rings. That leaves around $800 for the scope. You can get the Leupold MK4 3.5-10 scope for $800 plus shipping from the big two Internet vendors with a C&R/dealer discount.

Another good scope is the Burris Xtreme Tactical 3-12x50. It's a mildot and comes in black or OD.

http://www.bigrivertactical.com/catalog/item/1899447/1323961.htm

Big River Tactical has an excellent price on them that's about the same as you would get with a C&R discount from either of the big two.

I don't know anything about the Nikon Monarch line, but I heard the Nikon Tactical series is good glass.

wildcard
06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
$1,000 is a darn fine budget. I'd go with either the IOR Valdada Heavy duty rings and base or the Badger Tactical ones. That'll leave you with about $700 left for the optic.

I would definitely recommend a fixed power (no greater than 10X) with a side focus/ parallax adjustment and range finding reticle such as the Mil-Dot. Maybe even with a illuminated reticle. Take a look at:
Leupold MK4 - http://www.swfa.com/pc-2897-297-leupold-10x40-mark-4-lrt-30mm-riflescope.aspx (out of budget)
IOR
Millet
US Optics
Nightforce
There is also of course the Super Sniper.. but make sure you get the one with the side focus. http://www.swfa.com/pc-4305-231-super-sniper-10x42-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

1911whore
06-12-2007, 12:50 PM
whats your budget. i have a MK4 leupold for sale right now for 900 in new condition. with mk4 QD rings and bases

Comstock Lode
06-12-2007, 1:07 PM
I realized I put the Zeiss on my Rem 700 hunting rifel (3-9).

I used a Leopold on the Rem 700 5R (similar to the 700P): LEUPOLD VXIII 6.5 x 20 X 40mm LR Tartget. I don't think you can get this from Leopold any more, but can be found online. Great long distance scope, and keeps the overall weight within sillouette contest allowables.

PistolPete75
06-12-2007, 5:30 PM
I went with the Leupold Mark 4 Long Range/Tactical M1 6-20x50mm miltdot recticle, Leupold Dual Dovetail DD Rings, and Leupold Dual Dovetail DD Base. This will be a permanent fixture on my Remington 700 P. Now all I need to do is learn how to shoot the dam thing!

I figure this will be my final rifle that can do it all, hunting, benchrest target practice, varmint, etc. Went over budget but hey it's my last rifle....at least this is how I could justify the purchase. :)

wildcard
06-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Nice scope.. but I would upgrade to more heavy duty or tactical rings. Like you said.. it's going to be a permanent fixture.. attach it with something nice. Nice rifle and a nice scope needs a nice base and rings with 1913 picatinny rails for that solid yet versatile fit :)

Comstock Lode
06-13-2007, 7:01 AM
I went with Dual Dovetail rings/base... In fact, I've used DD on just about everything... The target scope is not great for hunting though. While I've taken a boar with it, the 6x was too much, and the 700P (5R) too heavy for real hunting... Perfectly fine if simply cruising around on an ATV looking for little piggies though!

Comstock Lode
06-13-2007, 7:16 AM
I went with Dual Dovetail rings/base... In fact, I've used DD on just about everything... The target scope is not great for hunting though. While I've taken a boar with it, the 6x was too much, and the 700P (5R) too heavy for real hunting... Perfectly fine if simply cruising around on an ATV looking for little piggies though!

SES50
06-13-2007, 7:52 AM
IOR 3-18x42. Good glass, Very Nice Reticle, Comes with Rings, SunShade and Lens Covers.

Bongos
06-13-2007, 10:13 AM
I went with the Leupold Mark 4 Long Range/Tactical M1 6-20x50mm miltdot recticle, Leupold Dual Dovetail DD Rings, and Leupold Dual Dovetail DD Base. This will be a permanent fixture on my Remington 700 P. Now all I need to do is learn how to shoot the dam thing!

I figure this will be my final rifle that can do it all, hunting, benchrest target practice, varmint, etc. Went over budget but hey it's my last rifle....at least this is how I could justify the purchase. :)

I would highly suggest you replace your base and rings with TPS rings and TPS 20 MOA Base, these are not as pricey as the Badgers and Leupold, but are solid..should be around $120 for both. Keep in mind the ring screws should be torque to 8 lb and the rings to base is 65 lbs. This is important as accuracy has everything to do with this, you can have a nice rifle and scope, but it ain't worth ***** if the rings and base are not good quality, it can make a 4" group down to a 1" group. It's like anything else, you can invest in a nice rod and reel, but it won't land the fish if you use cheap line. Not saying your Leupold base and rings are any good, but you have a tactical rifle......The You picked a nice scope, now you just have to learn about Mil-Dot and range estimation. Great choice Pete, you live only minutes from Angeles Range.:D

PistolPete75
06-13-2007, 11:01 AM
well, choice was already made. Product is in transit, so I'm gonna try my rings and mounts out. If it doesn't hold ground zero well, then I guess I just got to buy another set. From what I hear from other people, no one had any issues with these mounts, so I hope for the best for mine. tnx guys for the help!

tiger222
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
the Nikons never really made it big in the tactical market ~ apparently there is a version 2.0 coming. I really like the Zeiss clarity, and of course Schmidt Bender is the bee's knees :) For $1K I finally found a Leupold I like (shock!) its a #54560 (?) a 4.5x14x50 LRT MK4, got a deal on it with the Barret adjustable rings. Nightforce is real nice too.