PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54r Silver tip.

Spartanmk1
08-07-2012, 3:36 PM
It's just the standard mil-surp stuff. Nothing fancy, but it's apparently steel core? Does that mean it's steel penetrating as well?

I want to know because I want to know if it's Range Safe. If anyone is familiar with the range, I go to the Lucerne Valley Lions Club public range.

I usually go shoot out in the desert, but I'd like to take my Mosin to the range one day.

So is silver tip range safe?

BucDan
08-07-2012, 3:44 PM
Nope. Steel core pretty much means it's a penetrator. So no go at local ranges really. Besides, the mosin is a lot more fun to use outdoors.

Spartanmk1
08-07-2012, 3:46 PM
Well, it is an outdoor range. I think the rifle range is 250 yards.

Worst comes to worst I still have the desert.

BucDan
08-07-2012, 3:51 PM
You should ask them about steel core rounds. For the most part, outdoor ranges don't really have a problem with steel core unless there is nothing but shrub around for which the round could strike and spark against a rock.

Spartanmk1
08-07-2012, 3:52 PM
They are open tomorrow, I'll just give em' a call, thanks guys.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-07-2012, 5:00 PM
Silver tip on 7.62x54R usually means light ball. This usually means a steel jacketed projectile with a mild steel core. It's not a hardened steel penetrator. Most outdoor ranges in SoCal ban ammo with steel in the bullet (jacket and/or core) because of the fire danger.

Fishslayer
08-08-2012, 9:19 AM
Steel core doesn't mean armor piercing. I actually asked a guy who has shot engines & he says the light ball makes a mess but nowhere near the penetration of true AP.

hcbr
08-08-2012, 2:16 PM
steel core like everyone else says... and like Fishslayer says, it doesn't mean armor piercing, it's more because steel core can spark and cause fires.

Czsp-01-9mm
08-08-2012, 2:48 PM
I used silver tips all the time, had a few split necks but nothing catastrophic, yeah the stuff is a no go at a lot of ranges as you heard fire is the concern, ammo to go has them 20 bucks for 100rd plus shipping came out to 35 bucks still a lot cheaper than buying new commercial ammo, take her outside and let her fly, find desert,Blm, forest, and have fun,

Peter.Steele
08-08-2012, 6:45 PM
Is this the Czech stuff? Cases are a dark greenish from the lacquer? Comes in greyish cardboard boxes of 20, packed in 2 rows of ten?

If it is, and if you're shooting a Mosin, it's VERY accurate ammo, but keep a hammer and a chunk of 2x4 handy. You'll figure out why after about the 3rd round or so

GDM
08-08-2012, 10:15 PM
It's just the standard mil-surp stuff. Nothing fancy, but it's apparently steel core? Does that mean it's steel penetrating as well?

I want to know because I want to know if it's Range Safe. If anyone is familiar with the range, I go to the Lucerne Valley Lions Club public range.

I usually go shoot out in the desert, but I'd like to take my Mosin to the range one day.

So is silver tip range safe?

Also, the silver tip (well for me) was gooy as heck when I shot it out of my M38.

Plus, its Russian anti Captalist Warewolf ammo :p

Fishslayer
08-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Plus, its Russian anti Captalist Warewolf ammo :p

They're exporting it by the boatload. Sounds pretty Capitalist to me. ;)

Oh... and it's "werewolf."

"Werewolf?"

"Therewolf."

:rofl2: I kill me! :D

Czsp-01-9mm
08-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I never had a problem with the bolt sticking with that stuff guess I was lucky, I would fire 50 rds each time at the range, and no problems beside the split necks like I said before, I miss my mosin, I wish they where free