PDA

View Full Version : We need a "prime time" commercial on a major network

Wiz-of-Awd
08-07-2012, 1:39 PM
...to really spread the word and begin to educate the rest of the people - quickly.

Anchors
08-07-2012, 1:40 PM
I wish.

Yugo
08-07-2012, 1:44 PM
...to really spread the word and begin to educate the rest of the people sheeple- quickly.

fixed it for yah!

Wiz-of-Awd
08-07-2012, 1:48 PM
fixed it for yah!

I was actually going to write it that way, but...

A.W.D.

wash
08-07-2012, 1:57 PM
What kind of education do you expect to accomplish in 30-90 seconds while Joe Average is eating his TV dinner?

Social media, web sites and gun owners taking people shooting are better on a cost/benefit analysis.

jwkincal
08-07-2012, 2:01 PM
I was actually going to write it that way, but...

A.W.D.

I am reminded of a George Carlin bit about the literal meaning of 'moron...'

Wiz-of-Awd
08-07-2012, 2:01 PM
What kind of education do you expect to accomplish in 30-90 seconds while Joe Average is eating his TV dinner?

Social media, web sites and gun owners taking people shooting are better on a cost/benefit analysis.

More than is currently happening.
You can't argue the fact that millions of viewers seeing something that they are currently NOT has to help. Reaching out to more people is a good thing, and prime time TV is the way to do it.

Politicians seem to think so, as they have used this media for years to spread their lies and ignorance. Why not use the same forum and audience to go the other direction?

A.W.D.

Gray Peterson
08-07-2012, 2:28 PM
More than is currently happening.
You can't argue the fact that millions of viewers seeing something that they are currently NOT has to help. Reaching out to more people is a good thing, and prime time TV is the way to do it.

Politicians seem to think so, as they have used this media for years to spread their lies and ignorance. Why not use the same forum and audience to go the other direction?

A.W.D.

Media advertisers will refuse to run it at any price. They will run gun control ads as nauseam

joe_sun
08-07-2012, 2:57 PM
I wonder how much a pro gun radio show like Armstrong and Getty would charge for a short commercial

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Anchors
08-07-2012, 3:01 PM
Media advertisers will refuse to run it at any price. They will run gun control ads as nauseam

They run gun shop ads on the radio.

Even fox will turn us down? Lame.

berto
08-07-2012, 3:17 PM
Riiiiiiiiiiight. Because the money is available and it's easy to explain the issue to laymen in 30 seconds. C'mon. Think.

dave_cg
08-07-2012, 3:24 PM

Can political advertising be refused under 1A? Seems like advocating one way or the other on any bill in the legislature should be protected speech.

Gray Peterson
08-07-2012, 3:26 PM
Can political advertising be refused under 1A? Seems like advocating one way or the other on any bill in the legislature should be protected speech.

Private business isn't required to accept advertising.

Anti-Hero
08-07-2012, 3:33 PM
First you wanted "radio silence" - now you want a "prime time campaign" - Epic Lulz

nicktatro
08-07-2012, 3:35 PM
I own a production company. We can film a video and put it on Youtube, and use that to spread the word. 30-90 sec is just not long enough

Tripper
08-07-2012, 3:38 PM
I can likely get something published in the Examiner, if someone has something to submit

sholling
08-07-2012, 4:47 PM
...to really spread the word and begin to educate the rest of the people - quickly.
As Gray said the major networks (other than Fox News) refuse to run any pro-2nd Amendment advertising or any commercials for gun companies. They'll give free and low cost "public interest" advertising slots to gun-grabbers but they won't sell it to us. Fox News (cable) and the Outdoor Channel are about the only choices and they carry lots of ads.

As long as they refuse our advertising I refuse to watch their programming. I've been boycotting KTLA 5 for 12 years and don't miss it a bit. I don't watch CBS, NBC, or ABC content (other than football or races) either. When they start respecting the 2nd Amendment again I'll start watching their programming again which means that I'll probably never watch their primetime programming again. Trust me it's no big loss.

sholling
08-07-2012, 4:52 PM
Private business isn't required to accept advertising.
But you can (or could years ago) challenge their broadcast license at renewal time for not serving the public interest. Not over their advertising policy but over failure to serve the public interest. They'll get renewed but with a few thousand signatures on a petition we might win a few minor concessions.

SilverTauron
08-07-2012, 4:59 PM
This is why that plan would fail.

"Here is a Public Service Announcement on Firearm Safety. Today, we'll be covering the 4 rules of gun-"

Honey can you pass me the remote.

-channel clicks to other news station-

"BREAKING NEWS:America's gun laws are too permissive! Our talking heads at the top of the hour .IN the wake of these recent tragedies......(cue stock film of police tape and spent casings on the concrete)"

OMG Honey!Look at this! Police! Lights! 100 round magazines! Flashy Studio Graphics!

There's a reason media outlets shun RKBA friendly media beyond ideologue. A video of someone responsibly carrying and shooting a gun ain't much fun to watch. A stock montage of a full auto M4 doing a mag dump, followed by the scintillating images of blood and chalk outlines tend to hold viewers' attention.

Wiz-of-Awd
08-07-2012, 5:18 PM
Well, I can't say that your point here is a bad one...

Come to think of it, except for a particular weather girl for a few minutes in the morning, I can't say really that I watch much of anything on those networks either.

Not for any particular reason even - just don't seem to "watch" them.

A.W.D.

As Gray said the major networks (other than Fox News) refuse to run any pro-2nd Amendment advertising or any commercials for gun companies. They'll give free and low cost "public interest" advertising slots to gun-grabbers but they won't see it to us. Fox News (cable) and the Outdoor Channel are about the only choices and they carry lots of ads.

As long as they refuse our advertising I refuse to watch their programming. I've been boycotting KTLA 5 for 12 years and don't miss it a bit. I don't watch CBS, NBC, or ABC content (other than football or races) either. When they start respecting the 2nd Amendment again I'll start watching their programming again which means that I'll probably never watch their primetime programming again. Trust me it's no big loss.

Wiz-of-Awd
08-07-2012, 5:26 PM
First you wanted "radio silence" - now you want a "prime time campaign" - Epic Lulz

Yes, and here's why:

Radio Silence was directed at all the little helpful hints this forum was divulging about weaknesses in the bill - hints to the GOV to rewrite and resubmit a newer & stronger SB249.

Prime Time Commercial is (read:can be) about trying to promote the positive aspects of firearms ownership in America, while accurately portraying criminals as individuals who do not follow laws.

Hell, maybe the Boy Scouts of America can jump on this bandwagon and do a bit of an ad for themselves with strong "Shooting Sports" undertones, imagery and promotion.

You may all think me crazy, but it could actually work ;)

A.W.D.

Capybara
08-07-2012, 5:33 PM
You've obviously never priced prime time airtime. The thing is, commercials are generally only effective when they are ran repeatedly for weeks and or months. The money it would take to run that, if you could even find a non-cowardly network not owned by anti-gun forces, would be astronomical. I agree, that same money could be spent far more wisely with social media, YouTube, on-line and lobbying or (ethically, legally) taking down the careers of a couple of anti politicians.

Wiz-of-Awd
08-07-2012, 5:58 PM
fixed it for yah!

You've obviously never priced prime time airtime...

Nope, certainly have not.
Astronomical number - I can only imagine.

'Tis why a partnership is mandatory. A pooling of resources to an equally astronomical level.

A.W.D.

ldivinag
08-07-2012, 8:11 PM
i have one that's actually simple to make.

go read the ARMED CITIZEN column in every issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN.

just run white text on black background.

problem is the MSM never reports stuff like this. on the "bad" aspects of gun mass murders...

pHredd9mm
08-07-2012, 8:17 PM
Need a "Ted Nugent" style reality show incorporating the 2nd amendment and firearms shooting/safety on a major network. Oh wait... not going to happen (sigh).

senorpeligro
08-07-2012, 8:39 PM
Think outside the (idiot)-box. We need a channel on youtube (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=9085615#post9085615). Easy to link to from social media such as facebook and twitter too.

m16
08-07-2012, 8:45 PM
People with a DVR wouldn't even see it.

I know I wouldn't.

senorpeligro
08-07-2012, 8:46 PM
People with a DVR wouldn't even see it.

I know I wouldn't.

We'll send you a link to subscribe too. You'll get notified of new content by email. What could be easier. Spread the message, like a virus.

m16
08-07-2012, 8:50 PM
Already subscribed!

Just sayin', I don't know too many people that watch commercials these days...

senorpeligro
08-07-2012, 8:51 PM
Already subscribed!

Just sayin', I don't know too many people that watch commercials these days...

Ohhhh, I'm with you!

senorpeligro
08-07-2012, 9:29 PM
I own a production company. We can film a video and put it on Youtube, and use that to spread the word. 30-90 sec is just not long enough

You in? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=605558)

TKM
08-07-2012, 9:34 PM
Hey noob.

Let the grownups handle the complicated parts.

senorpeligro
08-07-2012, 9:40 PM
Hey noob.

Let the grownups handle the complicated parts.

Over to you.

Capybara
08-07-2012, 10:03 PM
Someone who is talented at viral video creation needs to team with the mind share of StopSB249 and come up with something like Wes's video but something a little more professional and slick that has a surprise/gimmick/shock in it. That is the essence of viral video and would get a ton of YouTube views, IF, it is clever, compelling and interesting.

I am a producer but probably not that viral video expert that we need, it is it's own distinct little sub-genre, I do historical documentaries and stuff for corporations.