PDA

View Full Version : um, okay...

mike_the_wino
08-07-2012, 2:19 PM
Got a text today from a buddy today telling me to put lithium grease on my buffer spring to reduce 'sproing'. So I tell him I am gonna file that under 'things I learned the first day shooting my AR". Yeah, I am dick. Whatever.

Back and forth and then he throws out 'I lay all of my rounds out on a towel and spray silicon on them to prevent jams'. WTF? Has anyone heard of/ actually done this? He is shooting Wolf and apparently had a jam or two last time out. I have heard some negatives about Wolf but are they really that bad or just he just have a finicky rifle?

the86d
08-07-2012, 2:32 PM
I think Wolf and TulAmmo are about the same caliber of quality.

When I last tried out some Tula, I left 4 full boxes of 20 on the shelf behind the range bench when I went to go shoot some pistol...

Silver bear worked okay, but if you can reload for less than Tula, or Wolf, then there is no reason to subject even yourself to that. :)

Tula and *Bear had problems cycling the action on my AR when it started to get dirtier (only like 100 rounds in with Tula/Bear).
I slapped some Federal .223 in, and it had ZERO issues, at the same range trip.

cabinetguy
08-07-2012, 2:43 PM
I would think spraying silicone would increase the chance of a jam, as it will cook off of the rounds and leave some residue behind. That being said, I have never had a jam with steel cased ammo so far

mike_the_wino
08-07-2012, 2:58 PM
I was curious about using silicone in a firearm as well but it's okay. Dude is an engineer, so he is all good, right? :facepalm:

Paper Boy
08-07-2012, 3:07 PM
Never heard of that. Never had Wolf or Tula jam in any of my AR's or my AR pistol and I have shot them in temps from 8 degrees to 110 degrees. My buddy had an AR that would jam every three or four rounds with Wolf so I think it depends on your rifle.

the86d
08-07-2012, 3:11 PM
I have heard that 16" barrels don't burn up all the powder in an AR because they have a short barrel... leading to more "buildup" with the cheapest of ammo, but I only have a 20", so I cannot compare directly.

TheExiled
08-07-2012, 3:37 PM
Fire a few brass cased, higher quality rounds after every 50 of the cheap stuff

Fate
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Got a text today from a buddy today telling me to put lithium grease on my buffer spring to reduce 'sproing'. So I tell him I am gonna file that under 'things I learned the first day shooting my AR". Yeah, I am dick. Whatever.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24607889.jpg

anymoose
08-07-2012, 10:32 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24607889.jpg

this post has made more sense than any other post in this thread so far.

Gryff
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM
I lay all of my rounds out on a towel and spray silicon on them to prevent jams'

I know a couple of people in the competitive action pistol arena that do this. They usually do it at the match, or immediately before, though.

Fishslayer
08-08-2012, 9:27 AM
I have heard that 16" barrels don't burn up all the powder in an AR because they have a short barrel...

Too bad nobody has come up with a system that doesn't blow all that crap into the chamber area... ;)

rpm2day
08-08-2012, 1:19 PM
I used the dry silicone trick with my Makarov when shooting steel case, seemed smoother and ejected spent rounds waay out there.

I'm gonna tell J.C. that you're trash talkin' him...

EagleScout
08-10-2012, 1:51 PM
We all know wolf is cheap but I havn't got into the reloading biz yet.

The spray propellent dries leaving the coating on the rounds. Picking up
the towel and gently rolling them back n forth a couple times was quick n
easy.

I've cleaned the rifle well and it's all good. It was only the 1st jammed casing and hasn't happened since...more credit to the cleaning than the spray.

----------------------------
Well regulated in CA

joker70
08-10-2012, 4:29 PM
I've heard of both tips but since I don't run my AR hard, it's never been an issue.

mike_the_wino
08-10-2012, 4:35 PM
I'm gonna tell J.C. that you're trash talkin' him...
Joe? Dat ju?

Go ahead, I say worse to him in person. :p Like the back and forth about 'breaking in a rifle', that's one he and I will never agree on.

rpm2day
08-26-2012, 1:10 PM
:43:Ya, me. He bailed on shooting today. I'm hitting him hard for that!