PDA

View Full Version : "Old" vs "New" Marlin 60 trigger guards

bckline
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm considering buying a billet trigger guard and trigger kit (http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156306&CAT=3603) for my Marlin 60, and I've run into some discussion of old vs new style trigger guards. Does anyone know when the transition between "old" and "new" happened? Mine is from 1992, if memory serves, and I want to make sure I end up with a part that will actually fit.

Also, has anyone installed one of these kits from DIP? Do they improve trigger function and look good?

RazzB7
08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I hate you for showing me that website.

bckline
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
I hate you for showing me that website.

hahaha... always happy to drag a fellow calgunner with me down the path of frivolous spending.

Chaos47
08-07-2012, 1:52 PM
First up I love my DIP Trigger, Guard, and Bolt handle on my 795!

Unless there is a change in size of the 60 guard over time that I am not aware of (which is totally possible) The biggest difference over time would have been the addition of the bolt hold open release and the corresponding groove cut into the guard. The Dip guard appears to have the groove cut. If your rifle does not have the BHO then it will just have an extra hole in it. The web says that the BHO was added in 1985 so you should have that feature.

bckline
08-07-2012, 3:17 PM
That makes sense. My rifle does have the bold hold-open feature, so that's good news.

FWIW, there does appear to be a pre/post 2007 difference in the thickness of the tang on the charging handle. DIP sells charging handles that fit pre-2007 models, while Rimfire Technologies sells handles that are optimal for use in post-2007 models, which have a slightly thinner tang.

Chaos47
08-07-2012, 3:25 PM
DIP has both sizes of charging handles they are just not always available for each style.

I got a post (smaller) black straight groove and it took some fitting.

My girlfriend got a pre (larger) silver helical because they where out of the post size. Took a lot of fitting but I was doing it by hand with 220 grit sand paper... Probably could have used a larger grit or a power tool but I like to do firearm stuff by hand..

Both are year old Remington made Marlin 795's

Izzy43
08-07-2012, 3:35 PM
I'm considering buying a billet trigger guard and trigger kit (http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156306&CAT=3603) for my Marlin 60, and I've run into some discussion of old vs new style trigger guards. Does anyone know when the transition between "old" and "new" happened? Mine is from 1992, if memory serves, and I want to make sure I end up with a part that will actually fit.

Also, has anyone installed one of these kits from DIP? Do they improve trigger function and look good?

Drop a line to the DIP folks and tell em what you have and what your need. I would guess they will tell you. Good folks at that company.

rromeo
08-07-2012, 3:43 PM
Crikey, that's nice, but it's $5 more than I paid for my Marlin.

bckline
08-07-2012, 8:25 PM
Crikey, that's nice, but it's $5 more than I paid for my Marlin.

You got a helluva deal. I've already put a Boyds thumbhole and tech sights on mine, so I'm way down the slippery slope. A lost cause. It's turning into a damn fine rifle though... :D

dangerranger
08-07-2012, 8:39 PM
Yours is a new style trigger. The simple answer is if your TG is plastic its a new style. If its aluminum its an old style. There are some technical differences but plastic or aluminum answers the OPs question. The change came in the early 80s. You will like the DIP trigger and the Billit TGs are Very Nice! DR

bckline
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Yours is a new style trigger. The simple answer is if your TG is plastic its a new style. If its aluminum its an old style. There are some technical differences but plastic or aluminum answers the OPs question. The change came in the early 80s. You will like the DIP trigger and the Billit TGs are Very Nice! DR

fantastic! thanks for the reassurance that i'd be getting the correct parts, and that they're nice parts.

rromeo
08-08-2012, 3:27 PM
You got a helluva deal. I've already put a Boyds thumbhole and tech sights on mine, so I'm way down the slippery slope. A lost cause. It's turning into a damn fine rifle though... :D

Well that's how much they cost many years ago. It's not really the cost, is that I usually only fix broken things these days. It helps me avoid slippery slopes. It's the same way with cars, I used to spend every last dollar with Edelbrock, Holley, Hooker, etc. Now I buy cars that have minimal aftermarket support.

hakenlag
08-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I love mine.

bckline
08-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Well that's how much they cost many years ago. It's not really the cost, is that I usually only fix broken things these days. It helps me avoid slippery slopes. It's the same way with cars, I used to spend every last dollar with Edelbrock, Holley, Hooker, etc. Now I buy cars that have minimal aftermarket support.

as a dyed-in-the-wool DIYer, i can definitely appreciate that approach. once you bring one of these broken relics back from the dead, though, don't you end up wanting to put money into it to make it look or perform better? i think if i'd started with an old, broken marlin 60 action and put a bunch of work into restoring it to functionality i'd be even more likely to buy accessories for it and make it look pretty. for me, that initial investment of time and effort is just the start of the slippery slope!