PDA

View Full Version : Q for RAW owners

Super Chicken
08-07-2012, 10:58 AM
I would like to ask the all the RAW people if any one here takes them out to the field? Not so much the to the range more as for hunting, let me back track a bit.

I am down to only one RAW now, my beloved Colt R6520. This rifle is on the "till death do us part" list. With that said I haven't shot it since December 31 1999, I did not want to deal with all the gestapo "where are your papers" BS from over eager LEO's, but now I think its time to enjoy my Colt.

I live near BLM land and want to go out hunting yotes, jackrabbits, & tin cans, do You my fellow RAW owners take them out for a spin in the dirt? Is it worth the hassle?

compulsivegunbuyer
08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
My RAW's have not moved out of the safe in a while now. I have mostly been shooting handguns lately. As far as hunting, I use a bolt action 22mag and 223 for varmints, and an over under, or a semi auto shotgun for birds. I just don't prefer AR or AK style weapons for hunting. But that's just me. Hunt with whatever you want. If your hunting with a RAW, make sure your within the law, because F&G has been known to seize gear for breaking regulations.

08-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Keep in mind that under California law a RAW can only be used at a formal range and on other property with the specific permission of the property owner.

Much more restrictive than just going out to the "desert" and plinking with other guns.

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 12276,12276.1, or 12278, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.

Frankly, as much as it pained me to sell my RAW, I decided it just was not worth the trouble. I switched over to mini-14's.

Super Chicken
08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah im 50/50 about using the Colt. To be honest its not so much about hunting with it as it is to be out in the field with it.

Super Chicken
08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Keep in mind that under California law a RAW can only be used at a formal range and on other property with the specific permission of the property owner.

Much more restrictive than just going out to the "desert" and plinking with other guns.

Dam that sucks, thanks for the heads up.

taperxz
08-07-2012, 12:01 PM
My RAW's have not moved out of the safe in a while now. I have mostly been shooting handguns lately. As far as hunting, I use a bolt action 22mag and 223 for varmints, and an over under, or a semi auto shotgun for birds. I just don't prefer AR or AK style weapons for hunting. But that's just me. Hunt with whatever you want. If your hunting with a RAW, make sure your within the law, because F&G has been known to seize gear for breaking regulations.

What regulations would you be breaking?

taperxz
08-07-2012, 12:03 PM

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a .50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.
(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a firearm described in Section 12276,12276.1, or 12278, is specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.

Both BLM and NF allow for the use of a RAW. Shooting restrictions that apply, apply to all firearms. In other words a RAW is simply a centerfire rifle and they don't prohibit AW's specifically. Always check the local shooting rules prior to entry and using your firearm!

08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Now that is good to hear.

OleCuss
08-07-2012, 12:09 PM
My RAW is pretty much an irreplaceable collector's item.

It hasn't been to the range in years and may not get there again for a very long time.

TimRB
08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
If the worst happens and SB249 passes but a new registration period is opened, I guess most would register their rifles. (Duh) I did not have an "assault weapon" when the first registration periods were opened, so I don't know how it worked. Do you have to actually take your rifle down and show it to the cops? Any horror stories about rifle seizures (or whatever)?

Tim

SVT-40
08-07-2012, 1:14 PM
I don't treat the ones I own any different than the other firearms I own. Never ever been questioned about them while shooting...

cindynles
08-07-2012, 1:42 PM
Expect to be harassed if you take your RAW out to BLM of NF land. Many of the Rangers don't understand the laws associated with RAW's (like you don't have to carry of copy of your letter with you). This is what happened to me the last time I took mine out to BLM land. Now I only take them to private range I am a member of........

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=393368

CAL.BAR
08-07-2012, 1:58 PM
Yeah - I have numerous RAW's - they go to the range with me often. I have never had any issues with them. I use them in IDPA style competitions (when allowed) without problem. Burro, Raahaughies and On Target = no problems. All RAW friendly places. Yes, they are "irreplaceable", but ... if I don't shoot them, the "man" wins, and they don't do me much good.

newglockster
08-07-2012, 2:15 PM
What regulations would you be breaking?

I think he means make sure you are following all hunting laws and regulations, transportation, that type of thing...

compulsivegunbuyer
08-07-2012, 2:32 PM
I think he means make sure you are following all hunting laws and regulations, transportation, that type of thing...

Bingo!

veeklog
08-07-2012, 2:50 PM
My RAW is pretty much an irreplaceable collector's item.

It hasn't been to the range in years and may not get there again for a very long time.

Same here

ar15robert
08-07-2012, 3:54 PM
I own one and if i hunted i would probably leave it at home.I shoot it a couple times a year at the desert.I dont bother with public ranges got tired of the hey how come no bullet button,etc,questions.

Never no issues at desert been contacted after the registration began the officer just asked if the gun was "legal".He knew if registered there were no issues shooting it but this was years ago.He was just stopping to see how things were going talked a few then left.

Now a days i shoot then put out of sight til i shoot again.Like said in another post some BLM do not know the laws over the phone i asked one ranger his response was yeh you could shoot a RAW but you cant use a hi cap mag??

tomk556
08-07-2012, 3:57 PM
Expect to be harassed if you take your RAW out to BLM of NF land. Many of the Rangers don't understand the laws associated with RAW's (like you don't have to carry of copy of your letter with you). This is what happened to me the last time I took mine out to BLM land. Now I only take them to private range I am a member of........

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=393368

100% agreed, especially with BLM Rangers in Imperial County. I would NEVER take an RAW into NF or BLM land but no problem taking it to a public range. I concede it's highly strange, but for the cost of a stripped lower and a bullet-button, there's a lot of peace of mind if you swap over when going somewhere questionable if you're just a plinker. I've taken mine out probably 3 dozen times or so since 1999 and I've never had a problem, but never say never.

Super Chicken
08-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies, gave me food for thought. As it stands I think I'll hold off on going out in the field with it but will take it out to the range a few times. I finally got an OLL and will be building it up soon with stripped parts off demilled Bushmasters that I may have owned in a past life.

ptoguy2002
08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
....finally got an OLL and will be building it up soon with stripped parts off demilled Bushmasters that I may have owned in a past life.
Don't do this, this is how it all starts. I bought my first OLL figuring I'd put the take off upper and other replaced parts from the RAW on it. Then I bought another OLL to build, then another. :)
On topic: I take my RAW out to an occasional 3-gun match, established ranges, and to the zombie shoot (strength in numbers & knowledgeable people).
I would not take my RAW out to casual BLM shooting, non-established ranges, or out hunting. I also don't take them all (or most) out at once, figuring if LEO shows up thinking they are going to take one, I'm not out all of them.

TeirHawg
08-08-2012, 11:52 AM
I take the RAW's out every so often. Mostly to a private range, but sometimes to a NF. The NF up here is okay with RAW usage and I don't worry about. I would suggest others make sure the local BLM or NF office is okay with RAW being used in their area.

The biggest issue I see with RAW's is the transportation to and from the range area. Not supposed to make any side trips and need to keep them locked away. I'm not sure if even stopping at the corner Gas-n-Grub is allowed while traveling to the range. Of course, use common sense while transporting RAW's.

Something I've done in the past was to use a OLL with the upper I use on a RAW. The RAW lower can stay home in the safe, while the upper can get sighted in and practiced with.

tpliquid1
08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
I never use my OLLs they stay in my safe. RAW everytime and they are all beat up too. I keep my OLL as shelf queens

OlderThanDirt
08-08-2012, 2:22 PM
I only take my RAWs to privately owned ranges or shoot on my property. I do like to shoot the belt fed stuff on public land.