PDA

View Full Version : s+w 22a pistol, anyone have one?

jokat989
08-07-2012, 2:19 AM
who has experience with this.
how does it compare with the ruger mk series and others like p22 and mosquito?

thanks in advance

DisturbedAle
08-07-2012, 6:49 AM
I cannot compare it to the MK Series, but compared to the Mosquito is it night and day. However, it is unfair to compare, the 22A is a target pistol, spot on accurate.

The 22A is a love it or hate it. I have a reflex sight on mine and love it, 1k rounds through it and it feeds anything. Some people may complain about the ugliness or the plasticy feel, hold it yourself and if you like it, buy it. If not, try the MKIII or 22/45.

dtp
08-07-2012, 8:32 AM
I have the MkIII 22/45 and I've shot the 22A. I was actually going back and forth between the two.

The biggest difference is how they feel in your hand. The grip on the 22A feels much more substantial in my hands. I thought it shot well enough.

I probably would have been happy with either one but I bought the 22/45 because of aesthetics, its stellar reputation, and because its control layout is the same as a 1911, which I would like to own someday.

Now that my daughter likes to go shooting with me I'm also glad I didn't get the 22A... it might have been a bit big for her hands.

Chameleon Loco
08-08-2012, 12:29 AM
I have shot both pistols and prefer the ruger. I prefer it's looks and trigger over the smith and wesson. It's has also been around alot longer so there are more aftermarket parts out there.

sonicenergy
08-08-2012, 12:34 AM
I have all those, 22a, p22, mkiii hunter, and mosquito

I like MKiii the best, but the lone barrel is just a little bit too heavy, but it is super accurate

22a is just a very regular gun with no problem , much more reliable than p22 and mosquito.....

NSR500
08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
The 22A is very reliable for what it is especially in contrast to most tactical looking rimfires. That said... It's aftermarket isn't as strong as the Ruger.

Dionyn
08-08-2012, 2:35 AM
I have a 22S and a friend of mine has a Mk III. They are completely different IMO and on top of it all, it feels like my 22S with the 5.5 inch bull barrel is twice as heavy as his 5.5" Mk III. They both shoot very well though so you should try them both out and decide for yourself. The actions are a little different between the two so if that's a factor you may want to take a good look at them side by side before you make your decision.

An aside: The 22A or 22S is cheaper than a Mk III typically so if cost is an object, that might also be factored in. I found my 22S with the wood "target grips" used when there was a cold spell on the Mk III so I decided to buy it. It's treated me very well and it's far more consistent than my Walther P22.

Izzy43
08-08-2012, 8:57 AM
I have the 22A-1 but not the others so can't really compare. I will say that the 22A-1 has been trouble free for over 2 years and 2-3000 rounds, I don't count them but I shoot a lot. It has fired over 10 different brands of ammo without fail including Std Vel, High Vel and Hyper Vel (no Stingers). It is more accurate than I am and is super easy to break down and clean (no hammers required).

I just recently added wood target grips from Altamont which are even bigger than the original. I have small hands but still like the feel of the grips and the added weight in the rear seemed to help the balance of the pistol. Oh yeah, its a heavy pistol but that helps to stay on target.

Paper Boy
08-08-2012, 9:16 AM
Have one - love it.
Shot over 2500 rounds with it no problems other than the occasional .22 misfire that you get with any .22 rifle or pistol.
Extremely accurate pistol and fun to shoot. Maybe not the best looking but who cares as long as it shoots great and is reliable.

TKM
09-05-2012, 5:45 PM
I have all those, 22a, p22, mkiii hunter, and mosquito

I like MKiii the best, but the lone barrel is just a little bit too heavy, but it is super accurate

22a is just a very regular gun with no problem , much more reliable than p22 and mosquito.....

You should get a $50 Chinese made air rifle. I think you will find it more your speed.

And your mommy probably won't mind.

ramathorn
09-05-2012, 5:57 PM
Mine is reliable and accurate. No complaints. They are really inexpensive and S&W has a good warranty for it.

gwanghoops
09-05-2012, 9:35 PM
Love mine for what it does -- basic target practice at a cheap price. Picky on ammo -- use the Federal and CCI standard velocity stuff and avoid the Remington golden.

Few replacement grips available. Mags are easy to load. Must push them hard to ensure proper insertion. Customer service from S&W is stellar -- I shot my recoil spring into the lawn and S&W shipped one to me in a few days, no charge.

Compared to my Ruger MkIII Hunter -- the Ruger will last forever, better sights, longer sight radius, and probably shoots better but costs twice as a much. You get what you pay for.