View Full Version : 1022 lots of FTEs, could it be charging handle?

08-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I can't remember if this happened the last last time I went to the range with this rifle and charging handle but just yesterday I was at the range testing out some 40 grain ammo out and I was getting a lots of failures to extract jams. Like every 2-5 shots it will not extract properly. Either there will be a round jammed in the chamber or sticking outside between the bolt and the receiver.

I thought maybe its just really dirty, I didn't clean it since I last fired it all that much because I didn't really fire it that much, I just zero'd the scope for 50 and put it away.

Now I did install a new charging handle assembly. I noticed while cleaning it that the charging handle is all dinged up from the shells hitting it.

I got this custom charging handle from this website: http://www.customruger1022s.com/products.php

I really love the way this one looks but could it be the culprit why my rifle won't extract properly? I got a lot of practice clearing jams by the end of the day. When I bought it came as a whole assembly, could it be the spring is too weak or too strong? Or just the handle is too large now, because it just eclipses the stock charging handle. It is a lot larger than I thought it would be when I first received it.

Also here are some picture of how I did that day:

For some reason my 1022 loves that bulk 36gr Winchester ammo, its such a crappy looking round but shoots well

Federal Automatch 50yards 10 rds not bad stuff

100yards - Not so good at 100 but I found out when I left my bipod wasn't tight so MAYBE that could have been a problem, I was using a sandbag though. So Federal Automatch is probably the best for my 100.

Range report here: http://www.hadesomega.info/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=91113

08-07-2012, 8:42 AM
Probably right. That handle looks heavy and could be pulling the bolt assembly downward slightly thereby causing improper alignment of the extractor. easily fixed...

08-07-2012, 8:56 AM
Try a different handle and then you'll know.

08-07-2012, 6:03 PM
Pick up some high volocity ammo and give it a try. CCI Mini-Mags or better yet the Volositers should have enough kick to heave that knob. If it works ok with that ammo, you might just need a lighter charge spring, or if you haven't already you might need to polish the bolt and the inside of the receiver.

But more than likely it's a bad ejector or dirty chamber. If the chamber hasn't been cleaned the shells my be getting stuck or deformed enough that the extractor can't pull them fully.

08-07-2012, 7:39 PM
I have a heavy charging handle and it did the same think
changed it out for a lighter one and it worked fine