PDA

View Full Version : I'm good to put Nordic +2 on Supernova

Fherot
08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Spent days researching 922(r) crap while thousands of people online and TV run around with their 8-10 shot Benellis. I'm an honest person so I wantedto make sure my Benelli Supernova would comply to 922(r) and I believe it does as of ATF's last shotgun study in 2011.

Quoted:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

A magazine is an ammunition storage and feeding device that delivers a round into the chamber of the firearm during automatic or semiautomatic firing.37 A magazine is either integral (tube magazine) to the firearm or is removable (box magazine). A drum magazine is a large circular magazine that is generally detachable and is designed to hold a large amount of ammunition.

So a manually cycled shotgun does not fall under the category of a magazine fed (semi automatic) shotgun.

No more headaches, I'm getting a Nordic +2!

Emailed ATF anyway, surely they'll see what a sidious evil citizen I am by pestering them to clarify rules so I can comply.

Damn gun owners.

Pipboy5
08-07-2012, 8:29 AM
Please post the ATF response. I also would like to know.

Fherot
08-07-2012, 8:50 AM
I emailed them before I found that study they concluded on or I may not have even bothered. My understanding now is that it's okay to add a tube extension to a pump action shotgun however no flash lights, pistol grip forends, bayonet lugs etc then you're back to 922(r) and must swap out imported parts with American so you're no more than 10 foreign.

Only thing going on the Supernova is +2 Nordic. If I get a M2 or M4 I would change out 3 parts like follower/magazine tube/stock/forend/hammer.

I'll also see what they say in email but I think even the ATF is confused so we'll see if whoever writes me back is abreast of their latest study which is current law.

Sicarius
08-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Interested to know because my understanding of 922, although the wording says any shotgun, applies to semi auto's as AWs from my readings...
Kevin

elSquid
08-07-2012, 12:46 PM
I emailed them before I found that study they concluded on or I may not have even bothered. My understanding now is that it's okay to add a tube extension to a pump action shotgun however no flash lights, pistol grip forends, bayonet lugs etc then you're back to 922(r) and must swap out imported parts with American so you're no more than 10 foreign.

Are there any foreign made pump shotguns - with a capacity greater than 5 rounds - currently being imported?

-- Michael

Fherot
08-07-2012, 1:04 PM
That's the confusing part because I know 922 says you can't make a shotgun with foreign parts resemble a shotgun that cannot be imported.

But if by their wording they list magazine with semi and automatic fire then adding a Nordic extension tube would be the same as mounting a scope would it not?

I know it doesn't, but it's just really confusing. Awaiting their emails because they seem to contradict themselves. By that PDF I linked it looks to me like a Supernova is still 'sporting' with an extension but how do we know if a pump action can be imported with 5+ rounds?

It's also legal to own just not do the mod yourself if you were ignoring 922(r)... ATF confirmed disassembly and reassembly for cleaning didn't count as assembling these features either.

I wonder if criminals go through this same headache making sure they use 10 shot US shotguns not lovely Italian ones.

jessegpresley
08-07-2012, 1:57 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=420442

Fherot
08-07-2012, 2:12 PM
Yeah I've read that one I'm just trying to make things more complicated by raising the question that if ATF recently classes magazines under only auto/semiautomatic devices then can't 5+ round pumps be imported? Since 'all (imported) shotguns can't have magazines that hold over 5 rounds'.

Brain fried yet?