PDA

View Full Version : Pistol lock receipt question?

thatsteveguy
08-06-2012, 8:53 PM
I did a search but didn't find anything so I'll bring up the question here. I know that I must show a new gun lock and receipt that is less than thirty days old if I want to use it during a FFL transfer to avoid a lock charge. Now here's the setup to the question; I've had two different CA FFL's tell me two different rules. One FFL that I recently used said that the lock receipt must be from a vendor, he did not accept my receipt for the new lock since it was not a "vendor receipt" and made me buy another lock. The FFL that I normaly use told me that a simple receipt with the CA approved model and make on it could be used if I wanted to use a "new in the wrapper" lock bought from a friend. So my question is; which FFL is correct? :confused:

titleist16
08-06-2012, 9:27 PM
I've had to do this before and the FFL that I went to just said you have to have a receipt of purchase of a lock within the last 30 days. It doesnt have to be from a vendor, I "bought an extra lock my dad had" and wrote up a receipt and had him sign and date it. Just bring in the receipt and lock with you to the FFL

berto
08-06-2012, 9:45 PM
Print your own receipt. Make up a vendor name. Hell, use berto's gun lock company if you need to.

mrdd
08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
I did a search but didn't find anything so I'll bring up the question here. I know that I must show a new gun lock and receipt that is less than thirty days old if I want to use it during a FFL transfer to avoid a lock charge. Now here's the setup to the question; I've had two different CA FFL's tell me two different rules. One FFL that I recently used said that the lock receipt must be from a vendor, he did not accept my receipt for the new lock since it was not a "vendor receipt" and made me buy another lock. The FFL that I normaly use told me that a simple receipt with the CA approved model and make on it could be used if I wanted to use a "new in the wrapper" lock bought from a friend. So my question is; which FFL is correct? :confused:

Pick one of three ways to comply with the safety device law:

1) The transferee (buyer) owns a gun safe, and can provide documentation as such.

2) The transferor (seller) provides a safety device which gets transferred with the firearm.

3) The transferee (buyer) provides his own safety device, and can provide documentation that it was purchased within 30 days of when he actually takes possession of the firearm. There is no requirement that the purchase of the safety device be from a "vendor".

tenpercentfirearms
08-06-2012, 11:46 PM
You don't even need a receipt for me. I will just give you a lock. If you want to give me a different style lock in exchange, that is fine too. Of course I am one of those gun dealers that doesn't try to make money on locks with the idea that helping you be responsible with your money keeps you coming back for more guns.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=254024

donw
08-07-2012, 6:07 AM
good grief charlie brown...

it sounds like we will have to register our gunlocks and safes next...:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

will the insanity ever stop?