View Full Version : Looking to get into ISSF shooting

08-06-2012, 6:16 PM
I was looking at getting into ISSF skeet shooting, the stuff they do at the olympics. They use O/U shotguns mainly. What's a good entry one? How does one join the ISSF? Any tips or tricks for using an O/U because I only have pump experience so far.

08-06-2012, 6:39 PM
I'm guessing you should walk before you run.

Once you're accomplished in American Skeet, you can move up to Olympic (International) Skeet.

Take the class here everybody talks about.

08-06-2012, 8:42 PM
What is your pump experiance so far?

Have you shot American Skeet with your pump?

Can you shoot and break clays from a low gun position shooting American Skeet?

ISSA is not a good starting point

Get out there.....get good at American Skeet...have fun......THEN get humbled

08-07-2012, 5:35 AM
Keep in mind that American Trap, American Skeet & American Sporting clays are watered-down versions of their International counterparts.

Clubs are in the business of throwing targets. The better you do, the more you go to the club, the more money the club gets.

08-07-2012, 5:52 AM
Some good advice in this thread. The international standards that ISSF administers are a cut well above pretty much anything we do here in the states. At my club the machines throw between 40 and 45 mph, while at the Olympics the targets are launched at 60+ mph. Huge difference.

As to a gun, fit is everything. You can get into clay games for less than $1000 for a gun, but if you are doing the volume of shooting required to be simply be competitive in ISSF sanctioned clays, you'll wear that gun out long before you set foot on an international field. Recent gold medalist Kim Rhode has been shooting pretty much the same gun in competition her entire career, and she fires several thousand shots a week in practice.

If you do find the games to your liking your path will be through club, regional and state competitions building and honing your skills. If you're really serious you should be prepared to drop some pretty hefty bucks on guns that have names starting with B or P. As to an entry level gun, you can land a Grade 1 Browning Citori for <$2K, assuming it fits you decently. You would want to shop around and try a number of guns on for size before you make a buying decision. Starting your search at clubs in your area with a pro shop and guns to try is the best path.

08-07-2012, 7:23 PM
Your question regarding the O/U shotgun, you will mostly see Krieghoffs and Perazzis with the top competitors. However, keep in mind that many are sponsored shooters by shotgun manufacturers, and also by shotshell manufacturers. So what shotgun or ammo they are shooting may not be what they prefer. Personally, I would favor the Beretta DT10 over a Perazzi and save the dough. Krieghoff's are the Mercedes of the O/U world and are also the heaviest that I've shot. Many prefer it as it smooths out their swing but I do not.

I shoot NSSA and use a Browning Citori 625 Sporting w/ 30" barrels. If you want to start out with a O/U for skeet, I would recommend that you look for one of these used or a used Beretta O/U. Barrel lengths are always trendy in Skeet and swings between 26" to 32" and currently on the longer lengths for about a decade now. Skeet is about quickness, repetition, and muscle memory. You must learn to shoot with both eyes open and let your muscle memory lead you that was honed through repetition. Repetition means shooting weekly or twice a week if you can swing it. I usually try to shoot every weekend and Thursdays after work. We can shoot year around here in CA.

Since you will probably not be sponsored by Winchester or Remington, you will need a MEC 9000 to reload your hulls. Otherwise, it will be expensive shooting about a case a week.

Go to NSSA's website and check out the clubs in your area. You will find skeet shooters are friendly and welcome people. No real need for a class if you know how to shoot safely. In fact, most newcomers start with an auto loader like a Beretta Urika or Remington 1100. If you need to save bucks and go minimal, look for a used Urika or 1100. Check out Todd Bender's instructional videos (excellent) at bendershima.com.

Try not to show up with a home defense shotgun.

I use MEC 9000 reloaders and currently favor 12ga. 3/4oz for practice with:

Downrange DR XXL pink wads (waiting on the new Claybuster 3/4oz 12ga wads on the BBT)
Alliant e3 powder.
#8.5 or #9 shot.

I prefer Winchester AA hulls over Remington Premier/Nitro simply because the roomy Remington results in more dishing. So where you go, look for either one being thrown away and pick those up (once fired). Most other hulls are not worth reloading with the exception of a few like Remington Gun Clubs.

Two things to always remember about skeet is to stay safe and have fun. You will pick up a circle of friends from skeet who will become your squad mates in competition. My skeet friends have been together for more than 10 years and friends have only departed in moving out of state or passing away. We continue to email each other weekly sharing skeet and reloading information, plus coordinating who will be out there at our usual field for the coming weekend. You will know their spouses and family, attend their weddings, graduations, and unfortunately funerals. You will help them out with favors on your off-the field skills (usually what you do for a living) while they reciprocate and do the same for you.

That about sums up my quick mini-brain dump of skeet.

08-08-2012, 3:58 PM
Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall (Southern CA) has a skeet field setup to throw International targets. It's where Kim Rhode practices on.

08-10-2012, 9:47 PM
So, as a beginning gun, would my pump mossberg 500 with trap barrel be good enough? Or should I sell off some of my others to get an 1100 or something?

08-10-2012, 10:08 PM
So, as a beginning gun, would my pump mossberg 500 with trap barrel be good enough? Or should I sell off some of my others to get an 1100 or something?

As a beginner, shoot that gun for a while and decide if you want to continue with a competitive mindset. One can have a lot of fun shooting clays with ANY shotgun with a long barrel and a decently large gauge

08-10-2012, 11:23 PM

For american skeet your good to go with your Mossberg. You may want to get an extra barrel with interchangable choke tubes and run a CYL or Skeet choke. You can start with what you have.

Advise: Shoot singles to start and get into the habit of pumping your shotgun after each shot while the gun is still mounted and without moving your cheek from the stock.......your brain will soon pump the shotgun for you automatically.

Get out there and have fun