View Full Version : 17HMR Handgun Reviews?

08-06-2012, 5:54 PM
Can any of you that own 17HMR handguns give some info on real word performance? Barrel lengths, chrono data, accuracy?

Ruger Single Six, Taurus 17's Freedom Arms, others?

08-06-2012, 8:00 PM
I have a Ruger Single Six in .17 HMR. (for sale if interested). The thing shoots great and can get out to 100 yards. It has a 6" barrel and would be worth putting a scope on to get the performance out of it that you can't get through open sights. Trigger on it is great at about 3 lbs or so. Fun little pistol I just don't shoot it enough to justify keeping it.

08-06-2012, 9:13 PM
I had the Ruger the other fello mentioned.It was a nice gun.
I only sold it because I picked up a S&W 647.It is a 8 3/8" barrel and off sandbags or a rest,it will take out 6" balloons at 200yds.It raises heck on rabbits also.I never chronoed it,due to only buying ammo that is supposed to be around 2500fps,based on a rifle.They only made those a couple years,like the 648 in 22 mag.They are both wonderful really and feel the same as my 617 and 686.The 17 HMR will set a person back $800-$1200 depending on condition.I have seen them new in box for as much as $1400.Now that would take all the fun out of it for me.
My friend has the Taurus SS and it is OK.I would probably opt for the Ruger still over it.I do not know the Freedom Arms

08-06-2012, 9:19 PM
I had a 647, worked fine but sold it years ago.

I even had a 17 barrel for an Automag II, but I traded it for a bottle of Scotch.

I've still got a Rough Rider 17 that I picked up to go with my 96/17. Not particularly impressed with it even after swapping in some Ruger parts. Accuracy is a word in the dictionary when it comes to this piece of equipment.

I may put a 22Mag barrel in the 96 someday but I'll most likely sell off the whole mess before that happens.

Quite frankly, I can't see the damn holes at any kind of distance.