PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about gun transfer if I move out of state.

818gtiguy
08-06-2012, 6:43 PM
When/If you move out of state, then decide to sell your pistol when the state does not require a FFL, what should I do? Bill of sale??Should I also contact CA DOJ because the pistol I just sold is registered under my name? Or should I just go to a FFL?Just looking for some advice.

Librarian
08-06-2012, 7:06 PM
When/If you move out of state, then decide to sell your pistol when the state does not require a FFL, what should I do? Bill of sale??Should I also contact CA DOJ because the pistol I just sold is registered under my name? Or should I just go to a FFL?Just looking for some advice.

Don't have to contact CA DOJ, but beyond that? Well, I still live here, and we can't sell handguns without the 'blessing' of an FFL, so I don't know.

818gtiguy
08-06-2012, 8:21 PM
Don't have to contact CA DOJ, but beyond that? Well, I still live here, and we can't sell handguns without the 'blessing' of an FFL, so I don't know.

The reason I ask is what if I moved to AZ, sold my pistol to another AZ resident. Then years later they move to Cali. Will he have problems registering it here because it is still registered in my name and we never did a transfer at a FFL in AZ?

SilverTauron
08-06-2012, 8:31 PM
The reason I ask is what if I moved to AZ, sold my pistol to another AZ resident. Then years later they move to Cali. Will he have problems registering it here because it is still registered in my name and we never did a transfer at a FFL in AZ?

I asked this same inquiry last month. The responses to that thread are that once a gun is registered in the DROS system, it is permanently registered to the last known owner until it changes hands in California. The CA DOJ doesn't purge DROS data.

In this situation, if the new owner takes the pistol back to CA it will still show to the CA authorities as being registered to you.

As far as transfers without an FFL , what most gun owners do is notate the new buyer's drivers license number, information, and phone number plus a generic Bill of Sale proving the weapon was sold. In the event of Law Enforcement contact, this serves to keep the private seller out of potential hot water.

Librarian
08-06-2012, 8:38 PM

I don't know what AZ requires from dealer sales, but since there is no Federal registration, CA couldn't learn about an AZ sale from that, and I don't know if CA would have a reason to ask AZ (the gun could have been purchased anywhere) nor do I know if AZ would co-operate with such a request, even if it were possible.

CA doesn't generally check the registration status of a gun coming in to the state or sold through a CA FFL - too many guns are legally owned (like, all long guns except RAW) and not registered.

See the wiki -- http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Firearms_registration