View Full Version : Guns and Insurance

08-06-2012, 5:26 PM
I am thinking about adding my firearms to my homeowners policy. The agent actually mentioned that most guys don't do that due to the fact that the insurance company needs the serial numbers. He also hinted that some insurance company's are more than willing to provide these numbers to any government agency who asks for them.

Since California has your handgun numbers via the DROS, what harm could come from providing these to the insurance company? I think I would elect to not separately insure the long guns at this point as the state doesn't even know what they are. He was not aware that the long gun serial numbers are on the DROS until I mentioned it to him.

Ideas/comments anyone?

08-06-2012, 5:30 PM
If you are a NRA member, you can get ArmsCare plus insurance. They don't require serial numbers.

Sam .223
08-06-2012, 5:37 PM
i just talked to my insurence agent today and he didn't say anything about serial numbers, he did mention a few different types of policys to cover up to certain values of firearms.

08-06-2012, 6:17 PM
Mine is thru AAA and the NRA. Neither of which needed serial numbers.

08-06-2012, 7:12 PM
I have AAA, they require serial #'s, pictures, and description at time of claim.

08-06-2012, 7:13 PM
I have triple a too and they weren't asking for numbers.

08-06-2012, 9:26 PM
You will either schedule your guns individually or blanket them. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. If you schedule they will require Serial Numbers. Often times the blanket coverage will contain an per item limit. Schedule is less expensive and helps to pre-determine the value of the items.

08-07-2012, 2:28 PM
I just emailed my Farmers agent out of curiosity. Attached to my homeowner's policy, I have: "$3000 of coverage on theft of firearms, including their scopes or mounts whether attached or not, and all other firearm related equipment and ammunition. It is about $8.00 per thousand for additional coverage. This is subject to the perils in your policy and a $1000 deductible."