PDA

View Full Version : My E-mail to the Governor

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 3:01 PM
Dear Governor,
I am deeply concerned with the many flaws in State Senator Leland Yee's authored SB249. I believe the bill if passed, will create a public safety hazzard. A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine can be an accidental death waiting to happen. Without the ability to easily remove the magazine when a double feed malfunction occurs, there is a risk of accidental discharge. Every gun safety instructor teaches their students to first drop the magazine before attempting to clear a malfunction, while maintaining safe muzzle direction. The bullet button device allows for easy removal of the magazine and therefore safe clearing of the firearm. The bullet button is a safety device... not a loophole.
Imagine a situation with a fixed magazine AR15 rifle that has a double feed malfunction and an inexperienced recreational shooter attempting to clear it at a busy weekend gun range. The shooter attempts to take apart the firearm while it is LOADED!! There is a reason manufacturers engineered their AR style firearms with quick and easy magazine removal. Does Senator Yee know more than the firearms industry when it comes to safety design?
Another concern I have with this bill are all the lawsuits that will be filed against the State, burdening taxpayers with millions in court costs for political folly. California simply can't afford such nonsense. There are thousands of Californians who purchased semi-automatic rifles with the bullet button installed to comply with current California law. To then make their firearms illegal, with confiscation and without compensation will be a fiscal disaster for the State. It is still not settled whether California's Assualt Weapon ban would survive a Supreme Court challenge, I'm sure it wouldn't, since the AR15 and similiar semi-automatic rifles are now considered "common use" firearms nationally. The Heller vs. DC decision already establishes the right of the US citizen to use common use firearms for self defense.
I urge you to veto SB249 if it passes, and I urge you to rein in the political motivated demagogues who would make law-abiding citizens criminals for politiical brownie points, yet do absolutely nothing to reduce real violent crime in California.
Thank you for your consideration,

Rand B. Wilson
08-06-2012, 3:02 PM
I doubt he'll understand it

NotEnufGarage
08-06-2012, 3:15 PM
Its not time to contact the governor yet

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

taperxz
08-06-2012, 3:15 PM

What you don't understand is that Jerry Brown as AG had no problem with the use of the BB. Now his successor wants to act on this and take it away illegally?

There is a good chance JB may VETO a passed AB249.

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 3:31 PM

Why? My assemblyman is Jerry Hill. What point is there in contacting him? I think writing to the Governor is the only way to stop this awful bill. If he came out and stated that he was going to veto SB249... it would be dead. This is the time to contact the Governor IMO...

SinglePoint
08-06-2012, 4:16 PM
Hey "Bruce", I applaud you taking the time to write the Gov. and then sharing it with CG. Taking action is a good thing. I have written assembly members and senators, but did not think of the Gov. Sadly, if the Bill does pass, he might be the last hope before trouble really begins for a lot of folks.

POLICESTATE
08-06-2012, 4:18 PM

Hah, I doubt he'll even read it.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 4:19 PM
Why? My assemblyman is Jerry Hill. What point is there in contacting him? I think writing to the Governor is the only way to stop this awful bill. If he came out and stated that he was going to veto SB249... it would be dead. This is the time to contact the Governor IMO...

The governor does not always look into bills that has not left even a committee yet. If it gets through committee it then goes to the senate and then the assembly where i can be rewritten and then back to the senate. THEN to the governor for his sig or veto. In fact we have not yet seen the final language in the current bill that still has to go through the appropriations committee.

Its a bit early.

GMG
08-06-2012, 4:25 PM
Bruceisontarget,

Do I have your permission to copy your letter?

ewarmour
08-06-2012, 4:45 PM

You need to make an appointment with that guy if you can and look him in the eyes while you air your grievance. Take the family and show him who this abortion of a bill affects.

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 4:46 PM
Bruceisontarget,

Do I have your permission to copy your letter?

I would be honored if you use any of my posts for the fight against the gun grabbers. Thanks for asking, but you don't need my permission.

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 4:54 PM
The governor does not always look into bills that has not left even a committee yet. If it gets through committee it then goes to the senate and then the assembly where i can be rewritten and then back to the senate. THEN to the governor for his sig or veto. In fact we have not yet seen the final language in the current bill that still has to go through the appropriations committee.

Its a bit early.

I don't agree. If enough people wrote to the Governor instead of wasted efforts on political demagogues, he might actually make a public statement that could stop this bill in it's tracks. The Governor could give Senator Yee a public biatch slap for presenting such a flawed POS.

disturbed1
08-06-2012, 6:49 PM
The pen is migthier than the sword

disturbed1
08-06-2012, 6:50 PM
So let write some angry and inspiring letters!

safewaysecurity
08-06-2012, 6:54 PM
The bullet button isn't a safety device. It's a device that came about because of stupid laws by stupid politicians. It doesn't improve safety at all. In fact in a defensive situation it will make you less safe.

HowardW56
08-06-2012, 6:56 PM
So let write some angry and inspiring letters!

Angry letters will get you labeled as a nuit.

A clear concice well worded letter will accomplish more, except for Senator Yee's office... While we should still send letters, better to send them to comittee for now...

berto
08-06-2012, 6:56 PM
The gov shouldn't be contacted until the bill hits his desk. Pressuring him now is stupid. He's got his own agenda to get through the legislature right now and Yee's nonsense isn't it. Brown isn't in a place to get in a pissing match with his own party right now and this isn't something he's going to go to war over. A quiet veto later? Hopefully.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 6:57 PM
I don't agree. If enough people wrote to the Governor instead of wasted efforts on political demagogues, he might actually make a public statement that could stop this bill in it's tracks. The Governor could give Senator Yee a public biatch slap for presenting such a flawed POS.

Well, it doesn't really work that way. This is politics! It makes for strange bed fellows.

Just because one bill is on the table doesn't mean you embarrass the other guy. If the governor has something he wants passed and needs Yee's vote what do you think Yee would do after a public flogging? He certainly wouldn't help the governor now would he?

Brown will quietly let things play out and let the legislative process work and make a decision when it hits his desk. It really is politics 101 and the reality of how politics works.

Thinking any other way is simply foolish IMHO. Additionally CGF has asked us not to send anything to Brown "yet"

Right now its best to let the experts like Ed Worley (NRA ILA) play cards with the governor at this point. He is the expert IMHO

HowardW56
08-06-2012, 6:58 PM
Well, it doesn't really work that way. This is politics! It makes for strange bed fellows.

Just because one bill is on the table doesn't mean you embarrass the other guy. If the governor has something he wants passed and needs Yee's vote what do you think Yee would do after a public flogging? He certainly wouldn't help the governor now would he?

Brown will quietly let things play out and let the legislative process work and make a decision when it hits his desk. It really is politics 101 and the reality of how politics works.

Thinking any other way is simply foolish IMHO. Additionally CGF has asked us not to send anything to Brown "yet"

Right now its best to let the experts like Ed Worley (NRA ILA) play cards with the governor at this point. He is the expert IMHO

Agreed! :iagree:

wjc
08-06-2012, 6:59 PM
With your indulgence...

"Hazard" not "hazzard"

"Politically motivated demagogues" not "political motivated demagogues"

And you might want to put a blank line between those paragraphs.

SgtMerc
08-06-2012, 7:16 PM
The bullet button isn't a safety device. It's a device that came about because of stupid laws by stupid politicians. It doesn't improve safety at all. In fact in a defensive situation it will make you less safe.

I assume you're arguing the fact that the bullet button does not improve safety in relation to the original magazine release.

While i agree, and would prefer a standard magazine catch, your statement comes across as unhelpful and stubborn. We are not arguing for the return of the standard catch. We are showing the politicians how the bullet button is not a loophole, and how it is safer than top-loaders or welded magazine-wells.

Don't get the arguments confused. We all need to stay focused.

XD40SUBBIE
08-06-2012, 7:23 PM
I don't know if I would call it a safety device. It is a restrictive device to restrict the rate of reload per the desires of the CA DOJ BATF. After all, there are hundreds of thousands of AR patterned rifles in other states without a bullet button and they are just as safe.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 7:26 PM
I don't know if I would call it a safety device. It is a restrictive device to restrict the rate of reload per the desires of the CA DOJ BATF. After all, there are hundreds of thousands of AR patterned rifles in other states without a bullet button and they are just as safe.

It is the safest device an AR owner can have legally without a RAW to release the mag and clear the jam in CA

XD40SUBBIE
08-06-2012, 7:42 PM
It is the safest device an AR owner can have legally without a RAW to release the mag and clear the jam in CA

Well, yeah if you put it that way...LOL;)

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 8:10 PM
... Thinking any other way is simply foolish IMHO. Additionally CGF has asked us not to send anything to Brown "yet"...

Uhoh... did I break a CGF rule? Sorry... I thought I was a free citizen who was free to write my Governor regarding my civil rights being violated by poorly written legislation. Again, sorry... (rolling eyes)

Don't wear an NRA hat and pro gun Ted Nugent t-shirt to townhall meetings. Because afterall, snobs in three piece suits have the gun grabbing politicians ear...LOL.

When e-mailing your rep, make sure to use proper spelling and grammar... because e-mails are such a formal form of communication these days...LOL.

I think many of you are your own worst enemy. You really think that if you're on your best behavior, dressed in Armani suits, you won't be demonized by the liberal media machine, or at least ignored and invalidated. It is highly debateable whether playing nice with aszh0^es will ever get you anywhere. Do I advocate yelling in their face loud enough to cause ear drum blowout? No. But I see no advantage to treating them with more respect than they deserve.

Also, I've noticed a snippy bulls^it attitude displayed by so called gun rights advocates here on Calguns. In fighting is rampant and airing dirty laundry such as who got permabanned... really? Over a half dozen pages of snippy crap? Maybe you folks should recognize that people like me, with a slight streak of "in your face rebellion" have a voice and will be heard loud and clear, whether you like it or not. JMNSHO.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 8:21 PM
... Thinking any other way is simply foolish IMHO. Additionally CGF has asked us not to send anything to Brown "yet"...

Uhoh... did I break a CGF rule? Sorry... I thought I was a free citizen who was free to write my Governor regarding my civil rights being violated by poorly written legislation. Again, sorry... (rolling eyes)

Don't wear an NRA hat and pro gun Ted Nugent t-shirt to townhall meetings. Because afterall, snobs in three piece suits have the gun grabbing politicians ear...LOL.

When e-mailing your rep, make sure to use proper spelling and grammar... because e-mails are such a formal form of communication these days...LOL.

I think many of you are your own worst enemy. You really think that if you're on your best behavior, dressed in Armani suits, you won't be demonized by the liberal media machine, or at least ignored and invalidated. It is highly debateable whether playing nice with aszh0^es will ever get you anywhere. Do I advocate yelling in their face loud enough to cause ear drum blowout? No. But I see no advantage to treating them with more respect than they deserve.

Also, I've noticed a snippy bulls^it attitude displayed by so called gun rights advocates here on Calguns. In fighting is rampant and airing dirty laundry such as who got permabanned... really? Over a half dozen pages of snippy crap? Maybe you folks should recognize that people like me, with a slight streak of "in your face rebellion" have a voice and will be heard loud and clear, whether you like it or not. JMNSHO.

Lol! In your face attitude? You sent an e mail! I guarantee you won't meet to many people who get "in your face" than me. However, there are times like this and times where it doesn't work. Like YOUR email to the Governor! He doesn't even know what's in the bill yet. Gee, let's get in someone's face when they have NO idea what you are talking about:rolleyes:

Ignorance has no place in politics. You do realize you can actually get a degree in poly sci, right? Political science is a specialty.

phdo
08-06-2012, 8:24 PM
Tagged.

sharxbyte
08-06-2012, 8:29 PM
I vote that we wait for Brandon or Gene to chime in before contacting the Gov.

chillincody
08-06-2012, 8:30 PM
Dear Governor,
I am deeply concerned with the many flaws in State Senator Leland Yee's authored SB249. I believe the bill if passed, will create a public safety hazzard. A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine can be an accidental death waiting to happen. Without the ability to easily remove the magazine when a double feed malfunction occurs, there is a risk of accidental discharge. Every gun safety instructor teaches their students to first drop the magazine before attempting to clear a malfunction, while maintaining safe muzzle direction. The bullet button device allows for easy removal of the magazine and therefore safe clearing of the firearm. The bullet button is a safety device... not a loophole.
Imagine a situation with a fixed magazine AR15 rifle that has a double feed malfunction and an inexperienced recreational shooter attempting to clear it at a busy weekend gun range. The shooter attempts to take apart the firearm while it is LOADED!! There is a reason manufacturers engineered their AR style firearms with quick and easy magazine removal. Does Senator Yee know more than the firearms industry when it comes to safety design?
Another concern I have with this bill are all the lawsuits that will be filed against the State, burdening taxpayers with millions in court costs for political folly. California simply can't afford such nonsense. There are thousands of Californians who purchased semi-automatic rifles with the bullet button installed to comply with current California law. To then make their firearms illegal, with confiscation and without compensation will be a fiscal disaster for the State. It is still not settled whether California's Assualt Weapon ban would survive a Supreme Court challenge, I'm sure it wouldn't, since the AR15 and similiar semi-automatic rifles are now considered "common use" firearms nationally. The Heller vs. DC decision already establishes the right of the US citizen to use common use firearms for self defense.
I urge you to veto SB249 if it passes, and I urge you to rein in the political motivated demagogues who would make law-abiding citizens criminals for politiical brownie points, yet do absolutely nothing to reduce real violent crime in California.

Well said Bruce , Ill be writing Mr Brown soon I just wanna know that IF IF SB249 makes its to his desk that it stands no chance:D

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 8:53 PM
Lol! In your face attitude? You sent an e mail! I guarantee you won't meet to many people who get "in your face" than me. However, there are times like this and times where it doesn't work. Like YOUR email to the Governor! He doesn't even know what's in the bill yet. Gee, let's get in someone's face when they have NO idea what you are talking about:rolleyes:

Ignorance has no place in politics. You do realize you can actually get a degree in poly sci, right? Political science is a specialty.

Oh pulease. The Governor doesn't know? Are you kidding me? Of course the Governor knows and I'm sure his staff is strategizing as well. That's why I wrote to him and urge others to do the same. Notice my letter is not a rant about the 2nd A, but is a warning for public safety and future fiscal costs. Because most Dim politicians don't give a rip about the 2nd A in Kalifornication. That includes Governor Jerry Edmund Brown 2.

BTW... on a personal note... I like your posts and I agree with you most of the time taperxz. I'm new to this board and was just venting about the problems I see with it. I am not your enemy but an ally. You may not like my methods, but then nobody can control the actions of others now can they?

CessnaDriver
08-06-2012, 8:54 PM
I think in an alternate universe California politicians respond to reason and common sense.

The court seems to be the only place to win battles.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 8:55 PM
Oh pulease. The Governor doesn't know? Are you kidding me? Of course the Governor knows and I'm sure his staff is strategizing as well. That's why I wrote to him and urge others to do the same. Notice my letter is not a rant about the 2nd A, but is a warning for public safety and future fiscal costs. Because most Dim politicians don't give a rip about the 2nd A in Kalifornication. That includes Governor Jerry Edmund Brown 2.

BTW... on a personal note... I like your posts and I agree with you most of the time taperxz. I'm new to this board and was just venting about the problems I see with it. I am not your enemy but an ally. You may not like my methods, but then nobody can control the actions of others now can they?

If Yee hasn't decided on the final wording yet, how can the governor know?

Nothing personal taken from your posts.

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 9:13 PM
If Yee hasn't decided on the final wording yet, how can the governor know?

Nothing personal taken from your posts.

I'm pretty sure Senator Yee's office and Governor Brown's have close correspondence. I'm also pretty sure if enough people stressed the real dangerous ramifications of SB249 for the Governor, he'd want it like hemorhoids on a 12 hour flight.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 9:23 PM
I'm pretty sure Senator Yee's office and Governor Brown's have close correspondence. I'm also pretty sure if enough people stressed the real dangerous ramifications of SB249 for the Governor, he'd want it like hemorhoids on a 12 hour flight.

Nope. He won't know till its done. Theses folks don't hide out in a room and plan this stuff. It truly is like a gigantic Texas hold em table. Seriously!

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 9:34 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure someone on his staff saw the CBS5 crap and Yee's hyperbole and said "sh*t, that's all we need right now, with the budget mess and all." Letters coming into his office will get attention and I certainly don't see how they can hurt our case.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 9:39 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure someone on his staff saw the CBS5 crap and Yee's hyperbole and said "sh*t, that's all we need right now, with the budget mess and all." Letters coming into his office will get attention and I certainly don't see how they can hurt our case.

Bruce, letters to the governor will be relevant at the right time. I applaud your enthusiasm. It's not always easy but to fight them you need to learn their playing field. That's really my point.:)

Bruceisontarget
08-06-2012, 9:49 PM
I think in an alternate universe California politicians respond to reason and common sense.

The court seems to be the only place to win battles.

I don't agree... politicians respond to political pressure and money. The courts are not the only place to win ultimate victory. I would remind you of all the people who have purchased BB firearms in the last two years are so... ARE VOTERS.

Beldin
08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Any time is a good time to let our elected officials know what we think. You can also resend if 249 somehow sees the light of day to "remind" him.

Dear Governor,

BluNorthern
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I disagree. I see no harm in hitting Brown hard and often on the matter.

It's time to quit playing defense and start taking the podium as much as we can.

Its a bit early.

The gov shouldn't be contacted until the bill hits his desk. Pressuring him now is stupid. He's got his own agenda to get through the legislature right now and Yee's nonsense isn't it. Brown isn't in a place to get in a pissing match with his own party right now and this isn't something he's going to go to war over. A quiet veto later? Hopefully.

I vote that we wait for Brandon or Gene to chime in before contacting the Gov.

GMG
08-07-2012, 1:42 PM
I would be honored if you use any of my posts for the fight against the gun grabbers. Thanks for asking, but you don't need my permission.

Changed the wording a little, but not much. Went with pretty much what you already had.

Sent it off today to Moon Beam.