PDA

View Full Version : AK receiver side plate options

jingerale
08-06-2012, 3:57 PM
So....thinking about adding a red dot to the AK. Been looking around and like the primary Arms micro and AKML bundle.

Anyway, looked at some of the side plate and most of them use rivets. I'm hoping to find one that comes with a drill template and use screws.

I found a UTG branded plate(screw), not sure about the brand and quality.

Any recommendations?

Lagduf
08-06-2012, 5:05 PM
In many cases you'll need to remove one of the rivets from the rear trunnion to install a side mounted optic plate. They serve double duty to affix the trunnion and the optic mount. It's not so hard to remove if you have a forked trunnion.

I'd like to put a side mount optic rail on my 7.62 AK except I'm being super lazy and want to pay someone to do it. Anyone in the Sacramento area that can do this? I just need to go to a build party (or finally get a 10 ton press.)

jingerale
08-06-2012, 5:09 PM
In many cases you'll need to remove one of the rivets from the rear trunnion to install a side mounted optic plate. They serve double duty to affix the trunnion and the optic mount. It's not so hard to remove if you have a forked trunnion.

I'd like to put a side mount optic rail on my 7.62 AK except I'm being super lazy and want to pay someone to do it. Anyone in the Sacramento area that can do this? I just need to go to a build party (or finally get a 10 ton press.)

thanks for the tip, I'm hoping to avoid anything that requires a trip to somewhere with a press or bolt cutter. Kinda want to just do this at home with a drill press and loctite.

jingerale
08-06-2012, 8:06 PM
ok so I think I'm gonna go with the MPK-2 side mount.

Anyone have experience with this?

Lagduf
08-06-2012, 8:27 PM
ok so I think I'm gonna go with the MPK-2 side mount.

Anyone have experience with this?

Well that is pretty neat little solution to the problem. If this is a viable product I would also add this to my 7.62 AK.

EDIT: Quick search yield this thread on the product (http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_64/135378_.html)

Plisk
08-06-2012, 8:50 PM
Or you can avoid dinking with the receiver and just swap in a new gas tube.

http://ultimak.com/M1-b.htm

Lagduf
08-06-2012, 8:59 PM

"Dinking" with the receiver is worth it to use an RS Regulate Side mount.

Scope demand a side mount.

I hope the RS Products AKOG mount comes out soon, I want try the Primary Arms Compact 3x on my AK.

Plisk
08-06-2012, 9:15 PM
"Dinking" with the receiver is worth it to use an RS Regulate Side mount.

Scope demand a side mount.

I hope the RS Products AKOG mount comes out soon, I want try the Primary Arms Compact 3x on my AK.

No argument that the side mount is the only way to run a magnified optic, but OP stated he wanted to mount up a red dot. Gas tube rail is a simple effective way to go about it. Added benefit is also an ideal place for a weapons light.

Lagduf
08-06-2012, 9:35 PM
No argument that the side mount is the only way to run a magnified optic, but OP stated he wanted to mount up a red dot. Gas tube rail is a simple effective way to go about it. Added benefit is also an ideal place for a weapons light.

I hear that, but...those RS Regulate Mounts are just soooo nice and the OP did state that's what he wanted (RS AKML) They're like the LaRue of AK mounts. Seriously man, worth every penny. They're also QD.

They are pricey.

I'll keep watching this thread but I might just order that mount.

jingerale
08-07-2012, 2:33 AM

thanks but no Ultimak for me. I spent some time refinishing the wood and would like to keep it. and my buddy is already running it, if I get it, it'll just be another thing that we copied him on. I'd rather not hear it. Plus, I prefer the red dot in the middle or towards the back. Not crazy about having it way out there.

BruinGuy
08-07-2012, 3:53 PM
Anyway, looked at some of the side plate and most of them use rivets. I'm hoping to find one that comes with a drill template and use screws.

I found a UTG branded plate(screw), not sure about the brand and quality.

I'd avoid the UTG one. It does use screws, but even with Loctite I found it came loose. It's a bad design - the holes for mounting interfere with the use of a FCG retainer on the rear hole (so you have to use clips instead for your pins) and requires dremeling off part of your rail for the front. In the case of the front screw, this makes it virtually impossible to use the nut to secure the screw, and eventually it will loosen. The screws just don't get enough purchase in a 1mm receiver to stay in.

I have this mount on my 74 and eventually had to rivet it in, which was also difficult because it is apparently brittle and the holes in the mount are too small for the rivet heads, so you have to go in from inside the receiver. Not worth the trouble, really - just buy a better mount and see if someone has a bolt-cutter modified rivet crusher you can use.

jingerale
08-07-2012, 4:19 PM
update

ordered a RS-MPK-2 today. Will look for a AKML mount and a PA micro when it's back in stock. I won't be sure until I have the AKML in my hand but I think I can shave some material at the upper dove tail interface to lower the red dot to 1/3 co-witness. We'll see, I don't even know how much it's off by.

Lagduf
08-07-2012, 6:28 PM
update

ordered a RS-MPK-2 today. Will look for a AKML mount and a PA micro when it's back in stock. I won't be sure until I have the AKML in my hand but I think I can shave some material at the upper dove tail interface to lower the red dot to 1/3 co-witness. We'll see, I don't even know how much it's off by.

On my RS AKM I have an Aimpoint 9000sc. It's basically a longer version of the Aimpoint M2 sight, anyway - it does cowitness but the irons are pretty low in the tube. Still absolutely usuable.

Keep us update on this side mount option. I've opted to pay a gunsmith to install a side rail for me after one contacted me via PM and the labor rate was quite reasonable.

jingerale
08-15-2012, 11:54 PM
On my RS AKM I have an Aimpoint 9000sc. It's basically a longer version of the Aimpoint M2 sight, anyway - it does cowitness but the irons are pretty low in the tube. Still absolutely usuable.

Keep us update on this side mount option. I've opted to pay a gunsmith to install a side rail for me after one contacted me via PM and the labor rate was quite reasonable.

well I installed the RS a couple nights ago, it was pretty easy. But I did it the hard way, I measured once and drilled twice. :D

Anyway, what I forgot to check was the red star arms retaining plate. It covers the last hole, so I drilled through it. It was a slight pain to installed the screws on to the rail and if I ever want to remove the retaining plate, I'd have to remove the last screw holding the rail. Other than that, everything is good.

Duracoated and I am finally done.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj28/jinws/PhotoGrid_1345099435906.jpg

NastyNate
08-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Did you brush on, or airbrush your duracote?

jingerale
08-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Did you brush on, or airbrush your duracote?

airbrush.

Lagduf
08-16-2012, 9:28 AM
Looks really good, let us know how it appears to be holding up after a range session or two.

chead
08-16-2012, 10:22 AM
well I installed the RS a couple nights ago, it was pretty easy. But I did it the hard way, I measured once and drilled twice. :D

Anyway, what I forgot to check was the red star arms retaining plate. It covers the last hole, so I drilled through it.

LOL you should see the retaining plate in my AMD. It's just say the safety hold had to be.. "modified". Don't worry about it, if it's retaining the FCG, it's fine.

Nice work :)

raymond200m
08-16-2012, 6:58 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/583331/b-square-military-weaver-style-scope-base-with-1-rings-ak-47-and-mak-90-receiver-mount-gloss

i had one on my AK47 very easy to install. the bad thing about it is you have to remove 4 screws to take the rail out for cleaning. but it works great with AKs that dont have the side mount. the rail mounts using the trigger pin holes, it comes with new pins that are used to mount the rail.

raymond200m
08-16-2012, 7:02 PM

i would not use that it looks like it clamps to the barrel of the gun.

chead
08-17-2012, 2:16 AM
i would not use that it looks like it clamps to the barrel of the gun.

The Ultimak tube is an exceptionally good product.