PDA

View Full Version : FUD in El Dorado County?

mw20
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post in, as I don't start many posts.

I was up near the Sly Park area this weekend for a little shooting trip. It's been 3 or 4 months since I've been up there, but has something been going on in that area? Have people been getting hassled about their legal AR-15's by forest rangers. I ask because I have not had so many people stop and question me before. In particular one fellow who is apparently a firearms instructor and was having a class up there.

Here is where I'm confused. He said that you can not transport a bullet buttoned AR with a magazine out of the mag well. And that the forest rangers in the area are cracking down on this. And even suggested that we not even have our AR's out there with out a mag inserted. I began to question him on his logic. But he said that's the way the law reads and that even Cal Guns states that keeping the mag in during transportation is a must. I know I've read otherwise on Cal Guns, but I couldn't find a thread on this topic to confirm. I didn't put much stock in what he said as I figured he was probably just trying to drum up more business for himself. Especially since he had one of his students come back and ask if we wanted to take his class.

Anyways, can someone confirm that this guy is full of it. Or have I been wrong this whole time? And, are the rangers up there giving people a hard time?

JeremyKX
08-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Depends on what you consider a "fixed" magazine. Someone will come along here with more info but there have been debates on different threads here about that.

I think the general consensus is that you are fine.

mw20
08-06-2012, 1:19 PM
I figured I was. I read a lot on here and felt confident with what I was doing. But sometimes you get a guy like this that throws his "credentials" and Cal Guns out there and makes me start to doubt myself. Like maybe I missed something or miss interpreted something.

safewaysecurity
08-06-2012, 1:29 PM
It's fud. Having the magazine out just means you've removed the fixed mangazine with a tool. It doesn't mean it's detachable.

Gray Peterson
08-06-2012, 1:35 PM
What Forest ranger agency?

sfpcservice
08-06-2012, 1:55 PM
If the ranger puts his hi-cap in there, then he is guilty of constructing an assualt weapon right?

mw20
08-06-2012, 2:09 PM
He didn't say what agency was doing this. But he said they were busting about 4 guys a month in that area. We did see an El Dorado County Sheriff drive by us, but he never stopped.

skibuff
08-06-2012, 3:20 PM
All the El Dorado County Sheriffs I've talked with up there are very cool up there.

I ran into him about a month ago. It is a US Forest Ranger that is going after illegal guns. He hassled me regarding one of my legal RAW's and 30rnd mags. After a 1/2 hour of him wasting my time running a NCIC check my wife was able to text me a copy of my DOJ letter and he left.

He did tell me he was confiscating illegal guns including: Hi cap mags with BB guns, guns with no BB and guys using the magnetic BB tools that are on the gun. He seems to know the AW laws fairly well.

5thgen4runner
08-06-2012, 3:26 PM
Was his name ken ?

Bizcuits
08-06-2012, 3:43 PM
I shoot in el dorado county all the time, in the same area you do... And I can safely say the forest rangers are definitely cracking down. However they also read our posts. Officer Marcus (the asian) is very knowledgable of OLL's... He even cites the calguns flow chart. However they are not unreasonable and are making a positive impact in the area. I've been hassled by him several times, but he has always been professional and this last saturday as I was leaving I saw him and two other rangers unloading a van full of gangbangers covered in tats off morman trail... Kudo's!

JeepFreak
08-06-2012, 4:26 PM
Slightly off topic, but can one of you guys tell me where exactly it is ok to shoot up there? I just moved to El Dorado County and driving all the way down to the Gun Room is kickin' my ***. Plus, I would love to be able to practice shooting from my holster, "double taps", etc.

Thanks!
Billy

skibuff
08-06-2012, 4:35 PM
The Ranger that hassled me was Asian gentleman but I did not get a name. I'm all in for keeping the douche bag shooters(the ones that shoot live trees intentionally, that don't clean up after themselves, have illegal guns ect...) out of there.

My experience he was not professional and very confrontational at the onset . He rudely accused us of not being aware of our back drop witch took 10 seconds to explain and point out we were shooting hand guns at one angle and the rifle at a different one. Then moved on to hassle me regarding the legal RAW I had at the time.

After he figured out all the guns we had were legal and we were shooting safely he was nice enough. I was just not happy with the confrontational way he came at us.

stix213
08-06-2012, 5:32 PM
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post in, as I don't start many posts.

I was up near the Sly Park area this weekend for a little shooting trip. It's been 3 or 4 months since I've been up there, but has something been going on in that area? Have people been getting hassled about their legal AR-15's by forest rangers. I ask because I have not had so many people stop and question me before. In particular one fellow who is apparently a firearms instructor and was having a class up there.

Here is where I'm confused. He said that you can not transport a bullet buttoned AR with a magazine out of the mag well. And that the forest rangers in the area are cracking down on this. And even suggested that we not even have our AR's out there with out a mag inserted. I began to question him on his logic. But he said that's the way the law reads and that even Cal Guns states that keeping the mag in during transportation is a must. I know I've read otherwise on Cal Guns, but I couldn't find a thread on this topic to confirm. I didn't put much stock in what he said as I figured he was probably just trying to drum up more business for himself. Especially since he had one of his students come back and ask if we wanted to take his class.

Anyways, can someone confirm that this guy is full of it. Or have I been wrong this whole time? And, are the rangers up there giving people a hard time?

FUD

Though since there are some that believe this, it is not necessarily a bad idea to transport with an empty 10 rounder locked in place to just CYA.

If the ranger puts his hi-cap in there, then he is guilty of constructing an assualt weapon right?

Correct, but he isn't going to arrest himself

Sierra_Gun_Exchange
08-06-2012, 5:33 PM
I've had a few customers mention rangers checking in on them while shooting but nothing that raises a flag. Those cases were involving Tannerite not AR hurrassment.

El Dorado County is extremely firearm friendly and you might run into the random bad apple from time to time. If you run into an officer that goes overboard make sure to keep your cool!

NorCalDustin
08-06-2012, 5:48 PM
Was his name ken ?
I bet anything it was Ken... The guy acts like a complete tool, needs to STFU, leave people alone, giving wrong information, and needs stop sitting in his stupid truck recording the information of people who are leaving brass behind (Paraphrased words directly from his mouth).

The guy once accused me of not cleaning up after myself. I do more than clean up after myself. When I take 100rds of 9mm up to shoot and leave with 2 black trash bags of trash go STFU and leave me alone.

5thgen4runner
08-06-2012, 6:09 PM
I bet anything it was Ken... The guy acts like a complete tool, needs to STFU, leave people alone, giving wrong information, and needs stop sitting in his stupid truck recording the information of people who are leaving brass behind (Paraphrased words directly from his mouth).

The guy once accused me of not cleaning up after myself. I do more than clean up after myself. When I take 100rds of 9mm up to shoot and leave with 2 black trash bags of trash go STFU and leave me alone.

I took his LTC class. During the class, His safety protocol was good but excessive...but I literally had to cleanse my mind from all the craziness with alot of whiskey and cigars after the 2 days of class with him.

I never caught him recording anyone when I lived there but it wouldn't surprise me. I just started to go up to snowmill rd after I heard that he was doing that no body around and open area.

5thgen4runner
08-06-2012, 6:13 PM
Slightly off topic, but can one of you guys tell me where exactly it is ok to shoot up there? I just moved to El Dorado County and driving all the way down to the Gun Room is kickin' my ***. Plus, I would love to be able to practice shooting from my holster, "double taps", etc.

Thanks!
Billy

Off mormon immigrant trail go past the second dam and there is a spot off to the right but a better one is about 5 miles up on the right called snow mill road follow up until you see a safe area. Don't shoot at any trees and don't hang your targets on them either you'll like it up there. Don't take anything illegal(like usual) you never know who's around.

JeepFreak
08-07-2012, 4:50 AM
Off mormon immigrant trail go past the second dam and there is a spot off to the right but a better one is about 5 miles up on the right called snow mill road follow up until you see a safe area. Don't shoot at any trees and don't hang your targets on them either you'll like it up there. Don't take anything illegal(like usual) you never know who's around.

I know right where that's at; I take my Jeep up there in the winter to play in the snow. Thanks a bunch!
Billy

mw20
08-07-2012, 7:03 AM

I don't want to call him out specifically, but that was almost the exact conversation I had with the guy.

I have to say that it was probably the cleanest I've ever seen up there. It's nice to see people picking up after themselves, and others.

Dreaded Claymore
08-07-2012, 8:17 AM
I have to say that it was probably the cleanest I've ever seen up there. It's nice to see people picking up after themselves, and others.

Hah, maybe his behavior was actually accomplishing it then.

hammerhands32
08-07-2012, 8:32 AM
I talked with the rangers up there and they seemed like pretty nice guys........other than the fondling of my rifles without permission and the making us stand around while they looked over my stuff. It was a great experience :rolleyes:

At least they knew their stuff.

NorCalDustin
08-07-2012, 10:15 AM

I and others don't clean up because of him... We clean up because its right thing to do.

Dreaded Claymore
08-07-2012, 5:41 PM
I and others don't clean up because of him... We clean up because its right thing to do.

I don't doubt at all that this is true of many people, including you. But, most of the trash tends to come from people who are not aware that it's your duty to clean up after yourself. So maybe if there were any people like that who were going shooting in the area, he might have taken pains to remind them. Or, maybe everyone there was already the type who clean up after themselves.

phrogg111
08-08-2012, 1:17 AM
The Ranger that hassled me was Asian gentleman but I did not get a name. I'm all in for keeping the douche bag shooters(the ones that shoot live trees intentionally, that don't clean up after themselves, have illegal guns ect...) out of there.

My experience he was not professional and very confrontational at the onset . He rudely accused us of not being aware of our back drop witch took 10 seconds to explain and point out we were shooting hand guns at one angle and the rifle at a different one. Then moved on to hassle me regarding the legal RAW I had at the time.

After he figured out all the guns we had were legal and we were shooting safely he was nice enough. I was just not happy with the confrontational way he came at us.

I was searched by this guy and his very quiet partner twice. They're good - only pop you for something that's genuinely illegal. My two ARs, and my friend's AR, are CA legal, and the guy reads calguns for information, so he was ok with my bolt action non-BB ar and my hicaps.

First time I saw him, he'd collected 6 rifles before he got to my friend and I. There's more than a few a month disobeying laws.

I wish people could step up a little and help teach people to do the right thing, instead of just try to nail them for disobeying an unconstitutionally vague law.

I'm going to ask him for a video interview next time I see him. I hope he sticks around long enough to shoot my .500 S&W this time, too.

beerbeer95648
08-08-2012, 6:05 AM

Usually, if the area off Mormon Immigrant is clean it is because of P.L.I.N.K. volunteers. http://www.edrgc.com/plink.htm

1meanchevy
08-15-2012, 4:45 PM
there something I don't understand here, what is the probable cause these rangers use to seach you guys? Your in a National Forest, hopefully 500ft from roads, structures, trails etc, not shooting trees or whatnot...... what gives them the right to hassle you. Or am i missing something ??