PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my handgun, so now what?

hundreddollarman
08-06-2012, 1:03 PM
I scooped up my purchase after the 10-day waiting period. This is my first firearm purchase. Can I fire it out of the box or is there a checklist of things I should do (disassemble and clean it?) before taking it to the range? And if I should need to clean it prior to use, what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

russ69
08-06-2012, 1:13 PM
Yes, field strip it and clean and lube before you shoot it. What did you buy?

frankm
08-06-2012, 1:14 PM
Before you do anything, point it at the mirror and say, "You talkin' to me?".

fremont lapua
08-06-2012, 1:24 PM
In my opinion it depends what you bought, if it is a glock I run a bore snake through the barrel then consider it good to go, anything else I completely field strip clean and lube entire firearm. Just my .02

Everyone has their own opinions on the subject and the owners manual is a good read while waiting the 10 days.

hundreddollarman
08-06-2012, 1:24 PM
Yes, field strip it and clean and lube before you shoot it. What did you buy?

Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm.

FalconLair
08-06-2012, 1:37 PM
nice choice my son just got his on the 20th of last month

when I examined the one he picked up from Turners in Norwalk I was fairly surprised...it was nice and clean and well lubed...it was basically range ready

Ratboy
08-06-2012, 4:54 PM
I was thinking about when I got my pistol. How looong ago that was and how many years I had it before getting instructed on how to properly use it. It was amazing what I didn't know (that I didn't know)! I know I still have a lot to learn.

So, my suggestion would be to take a class. Hell, take several and most of all... enjoy your self!

Hilldweller
08-06-2012, 5:16 PM
If you're asking questions like this you should think about taking a firearm class/course that includes range time.

If you have the right tools you can google search your weapon by name and look for videos. There are usually tons on YouTube on most firearms. They show everything from disassembly/assembly, cleaning, tips/tricks, etc.

Enjoy it, but learn how to handle it safely from a qualified instructor. Proper grip is important so learn it from a pro; not just the person next to you at a range.

Above all, relax and have fun.

Ron-Solo
08-06-2012, 8:44 PM
Buy a gun safe, then get it some brothers and sisters. :D

Seriously, make sure you have secure storage for when you are not home. Burglars know all the good hiding spots.

akoba
08-06-2012, 9:04 PM
My wife just pick up her first firearm (Sig 238) after 10 days waiting. We shoot it yesterday without cleaning and lubing. Works flawlessly. Fired 250 rounds without any malfunction. Then this morning i fieldstrip the firearm, clean and lube it.
So im sure your gun will work out of the box. Post some pic whe you got a chanceand post it here.

phdo
08-06-2012, 9:30 PM
It depends on the person. I like to field strip to clean and lube before I shoot it. It gives me something to do and I feel "closer" to my guns afterwards. It became a ritual to me.

G-forceJunkie
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Now you get training so you use it properly and safely.

G-forceJunkie
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Now you get training so you use it properly and safely.

hundreddollarman
08-06-2012, 10:20 PM
A couple photos of the Beretta. I snapped a few quick shots straight out of the box. Afterward, I field-stripped it and wiped off the excess oil. I gave it a quick cleaning, though it didn't look like it needed much to begin with. Lubed it and it should be ready for the range tomorrow.

How often should I clean my handgun? Opinion seems to be varied from 500 to 1,000 rounds.

stevec223
08-06-2012, 10:31 PM
just about every gun ive bought has the crappy rust preventive on it....comes off light brown and tacky....field strip according to your owners manual....hoppes nitro solvent with toothbrush all over and inside...bore brush with hoppes....blast clean with gunscrubber synthetic (outside !)...wipe off everything with patches and oil (see if you can still get tar crap off on patch)...rem oil spray in places you cant reach...let gun drain out excess oil 10 min or so....reassemble and fondle your newest baby.....cheers...

InGrAM
08-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Before you do anything, point it at the mirror and say, "You talkin' to me?".

This ^

I do it every time I get a new heater, lol. :rolleyes:

kpdiamond54
08-07-2012, 12:00 AM
An NRA class is great idea. Shoot around 250 rds. before cleaning, but follow manual guidelines. Also make sure you use synthetic safe solvent so as not to ruin the finish. ALWAYS REMOVE THE MAG AND LOCK SLIDE BEFORE HANDLING. Safety first.

ChaneRZ
08-07-2012, 1:27 AM
I tend to clean my firearms after my outing. It's like a car. Do your cleaning and maintenance and it will serve you well.

CDFingers
08-07-2012, 7:35 AM
So now what? Shoot it.

Buy three or four different brands of ammo and find out what it "likes."

CDFingers

CBruce
08-07-2012, 9:36 AM
I scooped up my purchase after the 10-day waiting period. This is my first firearm purchase. Can I fire it out of the box or is there a checklist of things I should do (disassemble and clean it?) before taking it to the range? And if I should need to clean it prior to use, what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Make sure you put it in the freezer for at least 48 hours before you fire it.

Brass Balls
08-07-2012, 9:47 AM
Read this and take a shooting class before you develop bad habits.

http://covers.openlibrary.org/b/id/6605029-L.jpg

billmaykafer
08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
what happens if a person in military changes duty station from east coast and is station soon in california? if he/she owns a 1911A1 .45 cal do they do the $19 DOJ thingie since they want to bring it??

FalconLair
08-07-2012, 12:22 PM
I clean my gun after every shoot with it, regardless of how many rounds I put through it. For sure the barrel gets pulled and cleaned and the rest depends on how dirty it looks to me. There is always something that could use some attention and you'll wanna make sure the slide and recoil spring are always clean and well lubed

Good gun maintenance will help ensure your gun stays in good working order and help reduce FTF and FTE situations

phdo
08-07-2012, 2:17 PM
I also clean mine after every trip. I like my guns spotless.

SgtDinosaur
08-07-2012, 4:09 PM
I like to clean and lubricate before shooting. I've gotten some crap out of some of them. Lubrication is always a good idea.

0321jarhead
08-07-2012, 4:19 PM
Read the "OWNERS MANUAL!!". This is scary. Buy a gun and not knowing diddly other that it can become a fatal tool in the hands of people that don't learn about firearms before a purchase. WOW!

TempleKnight
08-07-2012, 7:22 PM
Buy a gun safe, then get it some brothers and sisters. :D

Seriously, make sure you have secure storage for when you are not home. Burglars know all the good hiding spots.

Yep, they found my PPK/s several years ago. I was lucky that was all. Now the safes are bolted to concrete.

My wife thinks that the guns are reproducing the dark. Buy the biggest safe you afford.

FalconLair
08-07-2012, 8:10 PM
Read the "OWNERS MANUAL!!". This is scary. Buy a gun and not knowing diddly other that it can become a fatal tool in the hands of people that don't learn about firearms before a purchase. WOW!this is true too, keeping in mind that at one time or another, EVERYONE here handled a firearm without knowing diddly about them. Fortunately, most of us had someone willing to take the time to make our early experiences as safe and responsible as possible. There is a chance that OP wasn't entitled to that, but, in no way should it be a deterrent from him taking the time and opportunity to learn.

Let's face it, gun ownership is a huge responsibility but it is not rocket science, and this is an opportunity for other cal gunners to give him some good advice on the subject. This is where you can contribute to someone asking for some insight.

So, I'm happy for ya OP, taking a class in firearms would be a huge plus for you, learning to shoot, while at the same time getting good basis knowledge of handgun safety. I think you made a good choice too, for a first firearm, the Px4, the safety feature on that gun also acts as a gun decocker, so even with a round in the chamber a simple flip of the safety will keep your gun from any negligent discharging. Just keep in mind that this model Beretta when chambered, will still discharge without the magazine inserted.

Also, as Mr. Solo stated, get yourself a safe to house that firearm when you aren't using it, and a good holster that covers the trigger and holds the gun well in place. Other than that, have lots of fun and lots of safe gunning :) I encourage you to ask questions in this forum, there are plenty of knowledgable firearm guys here and most have no problem helping someone, no matter what the question may be

Thrashard340
08-07-2012, 8:33 PM
Read the "OWNERS MANUAL!!". This is scary. Buy a gun and not knowing diddly other that it can become a fatal tool in the hands of people that don't learn about firearms before a purchase. WOW!

+1. My 1911 said it was ready to shoot out of the box. My FNP9 recommended cleaning before shooting.

Read the manual.