PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal? (Security guard sort of showing his gun)

blockfort
08-06-2012, 11:46 AM
From a new story about gold. The caption reads: "Security guard Gus Rodriguez stands outside "El Palacio de Oro" jewelry store in downtown Los Angeles on August 25, 2011. (Damian Dovarganes/Associated Press)"

I thought security guards have to keep their guns holstered unless they are about to use them. Does this count as still "holstered"?

http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/gold_2012/bp26.jpg

Dreaded Claymore
08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Whether or not it's illegal, it certainly seems very rude.

On a related note, I think we now know Gecko45's real name.

spetsnaz
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
it is illegal. but it is LA so really the style out there is thrash anyway

blockfort
08-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't know about rude, it makes a great photo though. I'm just wondering about legality.

adampolo13
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Looks like Voodoo Tacticle got free advertisment out of the story...

glock21fan
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Well he's not pulling it on anyone from what we can tell from the picture. Looks more like a partial draw for a picture. My guess is no different from show and tell in your buddies garage. However a company policy may get him canned

Kodemonkey
08-06-2012, 11:55 AM
bwahahahahahaha... Holy crap. What a badass. I almost didn't see him with all that camo, but he didn't get the tactical ipod earbuds and I could spot him right away.

Kodemonkey
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44413903/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/gold-fever-sweeps-criminal-underworld/#.UCAhdfZlRSQ

"I am not afraid," the former Ecuadorean military man says, patting his pistol. "They call me Rambo."

dfletcher
08-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Years ago I worked for a guard company as a dispatcher. For some reason we had to do a gun & equipment inventory. I called an older guard working at a bank. I asked him a question or two - something like "do you have a Smith & Wesson Model 15 with a 4" barrel and 18 rounds of ammo?". He said "just a moment" and I heard him put down the phone followed by what sounded like a holster being unbuttoned then a handful of marbles hitting a table top.

"What did you do?" I asked.

He said "I do not know the name of the gun so I took it out of the holser to read it - when I checked to count the bullets they fell out of the gun".

Oh Lordy .....

Hopalong
08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
"They call me Rambo"

I wonder if he put that on his application

littlejake
08-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Although not my profession, I held CA armed guard licenses from 1994 through 2007. In my training I was told that was brandishing. And that even resting one's hand on one's sidearm while talking to someone could be considered a 417.

That said, I have seen armored truck delivery guards with their weapon unholstered and pointed down as they carried in or out the money satchel. Seemed like a contradiction to my training -- on the other hand, given the risk, it seemed like good policy.

pc_load_letter
08-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Looks like he's packin' his eye drops in the holster mag pouch...don't want dry eyes while on guard!!

ocmsrzr
08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Clown shoes...

Kodemonkey
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
That said, I have seen armored truck delivery guards with their weapon unholstered and pointed down as they carried in or out the money satchel. Seemed like a contradiction to my training -- and the other hand, given the risk, it seemed like good policy.

20+ years ago when I worked a retail job, the armored truck guys ALWAYS did that. Sometimes it would scare the customers. But he was also collecting a ton of cash, and I never thought twice about it.

Kodemonkey
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Looks like he's packin' his eye drops in the holster mag pouch...don't want dry eyes while on guard!!

I saw that too, but thought it was nasal spray.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Weapons safety is off.

Mstrty
08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Weapons safety is off.

Is there any other way to properly carry it with the hammer forward?

Dantedamean
08-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Well to be a armed guard you need an open carry permit. So as long as he doesn't get busted for pointing the gun in a threatening manner, he should be fine. I agree with the statement about company policy though.

SilverTauron
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Irresponsible.A determined crook with basic combat training could disarm "rambo" in a split second.

'Hey Mr Security guard,I'm trying to find my missing son have you seen him?'

"Well,let me see a picture -" ***punch to the face,grab half unholstered Beretta,start shooting***

There's time honored wisdowm behind LE carrying in retention holsters with active safeties engaged.

kygen
08-06-2012, 12:29 PM
i passed that place every day when i went to work. then randomly they seemed to get armed guards all of the sudden. craziness

BusBoy
08-06-2012, 12:38 PM
That said, I have seen armored truck delivery guards with their weapon unholstered and pointed down as they carried in or out the money satchel. Seemed like a contradiction to my training -- on the other hand, given the risk, it seemed like good policy.

Ive also seen this in Bezerkley when I was at a super market across from Zacs getting some cash from the ATM... finished and turned to see a gun held at low ready and another guy holding a bag. :o Heh hi guys!

Librarian
08-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Thread drift

Hydrogenmaker
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
It's legal if you have a subdued American flag sewn on your tactical vest on the upper right front quadrant. Any other place or no flag and you have a 23-19. He's legal.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

P5Ret
08-06-2012, 1:29 PM
What possible reason could he have to have it half out? I understand the armored car guards, as they could be carrying a large amount of cash. But this guy is just doing it for intimidation factor, or showing off for the camera, so I'm thinking, brandishing as 417 does not require you to point it at someone just display in a threatening manner. That sure seems to be what he is doing, or at least attempting.

A buck says that before the picture was taken he was listening to his Ipod.

ir0nclash86
08-06-2012, 1:50 PM
I think he was just posing for the camera. I dont think he stands outside for his whole shift with it like that.

SkyStorm82
08-06-2012, 1:59 PM
He's posing for the picture. That is not a violation of 417 PC.

POLICESTATE
08-06-2012, 2:01 PM
It's just for the picture of the article. Geeeeeeze!

Bobula
08-06-2012, 2:03 PM
Not brandishing of there's no victim. Though he is in violation of bsis and b&p code. You're not allowed to have a badge on your belt. It must be on the left breast for uniformed security.

littlejake
08-06-2012, 2:16 PM
Not brandishing of there's no victim. Though he is in violation of bsis and b&p code. You're not allowed to have a badge on your belt. It must be on the left breast for uniformed security.

Yes.. and my recollection is the BSIS exposed firearm permit is for belt holters only. i.e. -- the traditional Sam Browne rig.

saki302
08-06-2012, 2:34 PM
I'll never forget-

When I was 12 I asked the neighborhood patrol guard from Atlas security questions about his revolver.

When I asked how heavy it was, he pulled it out and handed it to me. LOADED and all :facepalm:

-Dave

j.hors
08-06-2012, 2:42 PM
Are we sure that's even a real gun? I have seen toy guns that same color pattern

Casual_Shooter
08-06-2012, 2:49 PM
It's just for the picture of the article. Geeeeeeze!

Exactly what I was about to post.

P5Ret
08-06-2012, 2:59 PM
^your both right it is just a picture in an article, but it is always people doing stupid stuff that makes everyone else look bad. It is always the stupid things that draw unwanted attention to something. As innocent as it may seem, "Rambo" here should have used a bit more brain power when the photographer no doubt asked "let's see the gun".

CBruce
08-06-2012, 3:26 PM
I ran into a female officer once in a Red Robin. She was standing in the entry handing out flyers for some kind of fund-raising event, charity, something or another. She was in uniform, can't remember if she was on duty or not.

This was back when I was looking into getting a handgun myself and I was checking out her sidearm, which to me looked a bit like a Sig. So I asked her, "What are you carrying? It looks like a Sig."

To which she promplty unholstered her weapon and held it out cradled in both hands for me to see.

(It wasn't a Sig. It was an S&W M&P)

SanPedroShooter
08-06-2012, 4:03 PM
I was standing at a bus bench in Venice beach one time next to a sort of L shaped strip mall with a check cashing place in it. Out of nowhere I see this black pistol stick out from around the corner....promptly followed by a armored car guard with a bag of money... He had it sort of low ready sticking out in front of him. From my perspective I saw the gun first, then the arm, then his body.

Thinking back on it now, I would be afraid someone could snatch it out of my hand if it got to far away from my body.

Mr. Beretta
08-06-2012, 4:33 PM
Not Illegal. He posing for a pic. No victim. no intent.

The Beretta is a two tone, probably 92FS. The grips are the plastic "tan" colored thin ones.

I don't like the holster. Very poor retention if you gotta go asphalt ballet with a GB.

Image is everything. If looking like Rambo gives him an edge with possible bad guys, more power to him.

akoba
08-06-2012, 4:50 PM
The first photo is for posing in the camera. Here's the second photo.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/ap/gold%20thefts--828441238_v2.grid-5x2.jpg

ronlglock
08-06-2012, 6:58 PM

I love the badge. Bigger and badder than any shield I ever wore.

smle-man
08-06-2012, 7:16 PM
Although not my profession, I held CA armed guard licenses from 1994 through 2007. In my training I was told that was brandishing. And that even resting one's hand on one's sidearm while talking to someone could be considered a 417.

The armored car company I worked for always had the messenger with the handgun drawn unless the customer requested otherwise.

Ron-Solo
08-06-2012, 7:30 PM
Rambo is in violation of several other sections that require armed security to wear a distinctive uniform with shoulder patches that clearly state "private security" on both shoulders.

I don't remember the actual sections but some are in the Business and Professions code. We used them when we had problems with a local security company that was out acting like a swat team.

Depending on the circumstances, it might be considered "brandishing in a rude and threatening manner" and be a violation of 417 PC.

This guy is a mall ninja.

ir0nclash86
08-06-2012, 7:35 PM
he does have two patches. they're barely visible in the pictures but theyre there.

Don the savage
08-06-2012, 7:40 PM
On a related note, I think we now know Gecko45's real name.

Epic

anymoose
08-07-2012, 4:25 AM
Rambo is in violation of several other sections that require armed security to wear a distinctive uniform with shoulder patches that clearly state "private security" on both shoulders.

I don't remember the actual sections but some are in the Business and Professions code. We used them when we had problems with a local security company that was out acting like a swat team.

Depending on the circumstances, it might be considered "brandishing in a rude and threatening manner" and be a violation of 417 PC.

This guy is a mall ninja.

i can see that he has a patch, cant read it though. what does it say instead of "private security"?