PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd Amendment:Divided or United?

SilverTauron
08-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Its obvious America is undergoing a cultural change regarding persectives on the 2nd Amendment.Just as obvious is that some places are resiliently opposing the exercise of this right with equal vigor.

Does the membership of California gun owners believe its possible one day the entire United States will uniformly respect and protect the RKBA-including your own state,NJ,NY,etcetera?

Or will America be permanently divided into two nations as it is now,with some states protecting the 2A and some all but outlawing ownership and carry for 'public safety'?

Consipracy theories need not apply.

RMP91
08-06-2012, 11:01 AM
More divided than we already are now? Probably.

Sorry for being so pessimistic about it, but that's just how things are.

The states pretty much each others guts because of sports and politics.

That's never going to change.

I honestly do not believe RKBA is going to affect the bad blood between states much, hell, even between cities in the same state (SF and LA come to mind whenever the Giants and Dodgers play).

dfletcher
08-06-2012, 11:16 AM
I think SCOTUS finding private gun ownership as a right will have great benefits normalizing the act. There are those who may not like guns, but they do like rights. There are those who perhaps didn't want to be identified with "the gun nuts" that will be now persuaded to own a gun. I think an older America, perhaps discouraged by social experiments of the 60s and 70s, is more willing to embrace self defense as a right.

The old ways of gun control will not go quietly, but I would make the observation that the loudest and wildest flailing about occurs when things are most desperate. One really doesn't make the loudest noise until they're "circling the drain" so to speak and that's how I view the mayor and the Brady's at this point.

With respect to states like CA, MA, NJ and NY we have a problem, only short term I hope. I do not mean this impolitely, but liberal Democrats run the state legislatures and they don't approve of gun ownership. They can do so with impugnity for a variety of reasons, so I suspect in states like CA the courts will have to be greatly relied upon in the short term. But I do think that eventually the "normalization" of gun ownership will result in change.