PDA

View Full Version : are non-incendiary tracers legal?

mossy
08-05-2012, 9:40 PM
first off i am not interested in buying these as i have absolutely no use for them and they are rather expensive, i just thought they were interesting and wanted to know if they were legal.
fiocchi is making tracer shells that are not incendiary, they have a glow stick in them that is activated by the recoil of the shotgun. what is the legality of these in CA?

http://www.luckygunner.com/fiocchi-12-ga-ammo-10-rounds-3-4-oz-8-shot-lead-12-ga-ammunition-from-fiocchi

FLIGHT762
08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Actually, the only tracers that are legal in California are Shogun shell tracers, they are exempted from the law.

The new Fiocchi Shotgun shell glow stick tracers would be legal here.

Merc1138
08-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Yup, the Fiocchi shotgun shell tracers are legal. Anything else isn't. Refer to CA penal code 16460.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=16001-17000&file=16100-17360

You'll notice that the way it's written doesn't specify that tracers have to be incendiary, generate heat, etc. Also that shotgun shells are specifically exempted.

fremont lapua
08-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Awe, it says dry Ice bombs are illegal, I guess what they say is true. If it is fun, it is banned in California. Is it illegal to own tracers or just use them in the state. I saw stickers that we're able to be placed on the back of bullets for reloaders, that made them into tracers, without the heat but did not buy them.

saki302
08-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Tracer and incendiary projectiles themselves are illegal to own.

I think they banned these because of extreme fire risk while shooting.

As far as the stickers go- I have no idea. Stuck on the back, well, technically the projectile itself does not contain any chemical or incendiary compound.. and it doesn't violate the intention of the law (won't start fires).

Wouldn't painting the back of the bullet white do the same thing?

-Dave

Merc1138
08-06-2012, 1:03 AM
Awe, it says dry Ice bombs are illegal, I guess what they say is true. If it is fun, it is banned in California. Is it illegal to own tracers or just use them in the state. I saw stickers that we're able to be placed on the back of bullets for reloaders, that made them into tracers, without the heat but did not buy them.

You could probably argue that those sticks aren't contained within the bullet itself, but asking for a possible legal battle just to use some crappy stickers isn't a very good idea. The PC specifies nothing about the tracer material itself needing to be inside the bullet, and a steel or even lead core(think about a jacketed round) would actually be a bullet containing a chemical substance(steel and lead alloys, even elemental lead are chemicals by definition). The sticker would be adding the "commonly called a tracer" part to trigger being a DD.

That same PC is the reason why mixed tannerite is a problem(portion 6, tannerite fits that definition. heat and flame are not a requirement for an explosion).

Merc1138
08-06-2012, 1:08 AM
Tracer and incendiary projectiles themselves are illegal to own.

I think they banned these because of extreme fire risk while shooting.

As far as the stickers go- I have no idea. Stuck on the back, well, technically the projectile itself does not contain any chemical or incendiary compound.. and it doesn't violate the intention of the law (won't start fires).

Wouldn't painting the back of the bullet white do the same thing?

-Dave

Negative. You're trying to apply logic, that's the progressive anti 2a excuse for them being banned. The rest of the anti 2a laws in CA show that. It's not like a "sniper scope" as defined by the PC(NV scope with an illuminator) is somehow more dangerous to the general public than a passive NV setup.

Additionally, the word "compound" is not specified within the PC either. A copper jacketed lead bullet does indeed contain a chemical substance(lead, as I mentioned above).

fremont lapua
08-06-2012, 12:08 PM
So can you own tracers in Ca as long as you shoot them out of state where it is legal. Are the legal in NV.

Merc1138
08-06-2012, 12:16 PM
So can you own tracers in Ca as long as you shoot them out of state where it is legal. Are the legal in NV.

NO

Possession of destructive devices without proper permits in CA is a huge no-no. 5 years per DD if I recall correctly, so a 440 round can of tracers could get you 2200 years(in theory). And yes, there have been people convicted for it(here's just one example from a quick google search, you can look up more on your own http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jan/21/local/me-sherburne21 )