PDA

View Full Version : Link for the Yee to Harris letter

SparkYZ
08-05-2012, 9:40 PM
Hey guys I can't find the letter that Yee sent to the AG, asking to redefine the detachable magazine definition. Link please?

G60
08-05-2012, 9:44 PM
http://stopsb249.org/in-sen-yees-own-words/

huntercf
08-05-2012, 9:54 PM
Does this mean that the AG can rewrite laws without the legislature and the governor? This sounds extremely dangerous and illegal.

wildhawker
08-05-2012, 9:58 PM
Does this mean that the AG can rewrite laws without the legislature and the governor? This sounds extremely dangerous and illegal.

No, she can't, which is why SB 249 is such a pivotal issue.

-Brandon

SparkYZ
08-05-2012, 10:10 PM
God that pisses me off. It's their fault for not writing an airtight law in the first place. They f*cked up, so we get stiffed if they try to fix it. Ugh

Don29palms
08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
The state says it's not right for citzens to violate the intent of the assault weapon ban but it's ok for the state to violate the intent of the 2A.

huntercf
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
God that pisses me off. It's their fault for not writing an airtight law in the first place. They f*cked up, so we get stiffed if they try to fix it. Ugh

I don't think they can write an airtight law (and they know it) because it violates the 2A. They just keep trying all this bs because there is no recourse for them violating everyone's rights.

mdimeo
08-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Sorta. The "bullet tip is a tool" bit of the bullet button law we all know and love is actually not in the statutes, it's in the code of regulations. The regs were written that way after SKS owners complained that their rifles would become illegal (fixed magazines removable for maintenance with a bullet tip).

Regulations can be rewritten, but it's not a trivial exercise.

Somebody who knows more could maybe chime in here?

J20DB
08-05-2012, 10:30 PM
"This regulation appears to have resulted in rifles being manufactured and sold in California that meet the definition of assult weapons... yet some claim are legal because they contain a feature known as a "bullet button".

The irony is not lost on me that the "some" mentioned above includes the California DOJ. It's such a nice feeling knowing that our nannies up north want to reverse case law and turn thousands of legal gun owners into felons.

motorhead
08-05-2012, 10:44 PM
did the ag ever reply to this?

dantodd
08-05-2012, 10:50 PM
did the ag ever reply to this?

Not formally, my understanding is that there we (and probably are ongoing) off-the-record face to face meetings between either Harris or her Sr. Staff and Yee but the AG doesn't want to put anything in writing.

easy
08-06-2012, 5:01 PM
"If it's not recorded/written, it didn't happen."

Totally believable

supermanuf
08-06-2012, 5:05 PM
The state says it's not right for citzens to violate the intent of the assault weapon ban but it's ok for the state to violate the intent of the 2A.

I love this. Well put.

bwiese
08-06-2012, 5:19 PM

1. The AG can indeed rewrite regulations, provided they don't create underground regulations, etc. [This can often be hard.] Regulatory law is the function of agencies, not legislation.

2. The AG may well be supporting the Yee bill because she doesn't want to be the focal point of writing regulatory law that will have severe legal issues and conflicts with the past.

3. So it's win-win for Kamala: she keeps her hands 'clean' and lets Yee screw up for her and still gets antigun PR credits.

Understand that Kamala Harris has professional Deputy AGs that more deeply (and without much ideology) understand these issues. It's also why she ran away from reporters in the Ch 5 news segment - she already knows the background of CA's AW law problems.

4. Kamala also likely knows that past employees have no love for the DOJ regardless of their political stance on guns. These folks will, if deposed/ subpoenaed, tell all sorts of interesting background details, history, describe attitudes, enforcement levels, etc. Nobody's gonna perjure themselves for a past bureaucratic employer - even some of our past enemies there.

taperxz
08-06-2012, 5:49 PM
1. The AG can indeed rewrite regulations, provided they don't create underground regulations, etc. [This can often be hard.] Regulatory law is the function of agencies, not legislation.

2. The AG may well be supporting the Yee bill because she doesn't want to be the focal point of writing regulatory law that will have severe legal issues and conflicts with the past.

3. So it's win-win for Kamala: she keeps her hands 'clean' and lets Yee screw up for her and still gets antigun PR credits.

Understand that Kamala Harris has professional Deputy AGs that more deeply (and without much ideology) understand these issues. It's also why she ran away from reporters in the Ch 5 news segment - she already knows the background of CA's AW law problems.

4. Kamala also likely knows that past employees have no love for the DOJ regardless of their political stance on guns. These folks will, if deposed/ subpoenaed, tell all sorts of interesting background details, history, describe attitudes, enforcement levels, etc. Nobody's gonna perjure themselves for a past bureaucratic employer - even some of our past enemies there.

Would this be something to listen to.

ShooterMcFly
08-06-2012, 6:00 PM
I don't think they can write an airtight law (and they know it) because it violates the 2A. They just keep trying all this bs because there is no recourse for them violating everyone's rights.

Can't even keep everything straight in the memo. Goes from "bullet button" to "button bullet" in one sentence. Hope this is some inkling of poorly worded final drafts.

And those first paragraphs about the penal codes don't really prove anything except that the laws are what they are...and that's it. But that's me. On both grammar and substance, just bothers me.