PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Best Semi Automatic Pistol in .22LR

The Right to Bear Arms
08-05-2012, 5:49 PM
Good Evening Rimfire Heroes of Calguns !

I'm fishing for opinions on the best Semi Auto Pistol in .22LR minus the debates. I am not brand myopic and price point isn't an issue. I'm basically looking for value, performance, reliability, and a degree of aesthetic appeal.

I encourage enthusiasm in your respective platforms so let's hear it. It will fill a practice and training role.

Thanks for your attention, gentlemen.

Shoot Well and Stay Safe,

RBA

cudakidd
08-05-2012, 6:19 PM
S&W 41 versatile with quick change barrels and types of barrels available, super accurate, good looking, reliable...all you could want. And a heirloom collectible as well!

Mine...not even showing all the extra barrels I have!

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo284/cudakidd/CIMG4161.jpg

nitroxdiver
08-05-2012, 6:31 PM
Smith 41, get both barrel setups if price isn't an issue. Beatifully crafted, accurate, made the way guns use to be. Have fun!

Excelsior
08-05-2012, 6:47 PM
Good Evening Rimfire Heroes of Calguns !

I'm fishing for opinions on the best Semi Auto Pistol in .22LR minus the debates. I am not brand myopic and price point isn't an issue. I'm basically looking for value, performance, reliability, and a degree of aesthetic appeal.

I encourage enthusiasm in your respective platforms so let's hear it. It will fill a practice and training role.

Thanks for your attention, gentlemen.

Shoot Well and Stay Safe,

RBA

For what types of shooting? In my world of action rimfire shooting the Ruger MKxyz and 22/45 are unbeatable. They feed more reliably than anything else.

orangeusa
08-05-2012, 7:02 PM
Ceiner 22LR slide kit on my Beretta 92. Seriously. And I'm NOT using CCI ammo - just good old Federal 22LR in humongo pack.

And I've shot S&W 41 - nothing wrong with it AT ALL, but the Ceiner kit was 1/4 the price and feeds as reliably. Also the Ceiner mag is the easiest to load of ALL 22LR pistols I've ever shot.

BushcraftToday
08-05-2012, 7:09 PM
For me it was the Ruger Mark III. BUT, that is because when I handled different models that were all highly recommended, it was the most comfortable in my hand. If it isn't comfortable, you won't want to pick it up, you won't practice, and it will have been a waste of time and money. IMHO. Good luck!

Sent from my Tactical Communication Device.

davek8s
08-05-2012, 7:38 PM
Ruger MKIII
I have the plain & cheap standard model, it never fails me.

The Right to Bear Arms
08-05-2012, 7:55 PM
For what types of shooting? In my world of action rimfire shooting the Ruger MKxyz and 22/45 are unbeatable. They feed more reliably than anything else.

Hi Excelsior,

Target shooting and if there is a tactical handgun class that will allow a rimfire pistol to be used. haha. This is definitely a training purchase.

Everyone: Thanks for the replies so far. It looks like the Smith 41 and Ruger Mark 3, and Beretta 92 at this point. Smith owners. Help me out here. What's the benefit of having different barrels?....

Excaliburr
08-05-2012, 8:10 PM
On the different barrels, think threaded end and possibilities? Definitely S & W 41 is tops, Ruger Mark iii & 22/45 are very good also. Browning Buckmark has been around for a long time too.

ckyrulez
08-05-2012, 8:13 PM
Browning Buckmark. I've shot my friend's Mark III many times but still don't like the feel of it as much as my buckmark.

You might also consider a Ruger SR22. I picked one up a couple months ago and love shooting it as well.

OIF0708
08-05-2012, 8:55 PM
Grrrrrrr, dbl post.

OIF0708
08-05-2012, 8:56 PM
I second the Ruger SR22, love mine, shoots anything. Great for plinking.

Tank 57
08-05-2012, 9:04 PM
I have several .22 handguns.Smith&Wesson 41 is the last one I would part with.

Excelsior
08-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Hi Excelsior,

Target shooting and if there is a tactical handgun class that will allow a rimfire pistol to be used. haha. This is definitely a training purchase.

Everyone: Thanks for the replies so far. It looks like the Smith 41 and Ruger Mark 3, and Beretta 92 at this point. Smith owners. Help me out here. What's the benefit of having different barrels?....

You need to break this down a bit more. When you say "target shooting" do you mean like bullseye shooting where you would be standing still shooting at paper targets? One handed or two handed? Something along the lines of a Hammerli Xesse will out-shoot the S&W Model 41 and it's less expensive too.

When you say "tactical handgun" do you mean something along the lines of Steel Challenge shooting rimfire or do you mean defensive shooting practice?

The Beretta 92 is a 9mm centerfire pistol...

Different barrels in this context equates to different sight radii. Long barrel = longer sight radius = easier and more accurate when using steel sights. This is variable is not as critical when using optics, red-dots, etc.

cudakidd
08-06-2012, 5:49 AM
I shoot Steel Challenge and Bianchi with my S&W 41s. A quick barrel switch and it's a plinker, Want Iron sights? Barrel Switch, Red Dot? Barrel Switch.

That's the advantage the 41 has over all others, combined with super high quality, accuracy and value retension it's THE standard all others are combined with.

CSACANNONEER
08-06-2012, 6:04 AM
The 41 is a great option. Ruger rimfires can't be beat for the price. If you want versatility, I've been having fun with my new Kimber Conversion on my old Kimber Classic II. For a little more than a 41 (which would be a better dedicated .22lr), the Kimber is able to shoot both .22lr and .45acp.

Intimid8tor
08-06-2012, 6:41 AM
Its always a tough call. I have the mp22, sr22, and p22. The mp has been great. The ruger showed some slide wear after about 1000 rounds which bummed me out.

I want to get a 22/45 for a steel challenge. I have seen a fair number of them jam though. But there could be a lot of reasons for that.

Other than what has been mentioned:

Browning buckmark
Tacsol upper for 1911

Good luck on your quest.

Furncliff
08-06-2012, 10:42 AM
High Standard, only those made in Ct. (Used). Shoot only SV in them. Prices range from ~$350-950, depending on condition and model. Beautifully made, accurate, fast take down, sweet sweet trigger.

Cons... the good magazines that came from the factory are stupid expensive, when you can find them.

MyOdessa
08-06-2012, 11:15 AM
If you really want the "best" .22 LR target guns, these would be on top.

Feinwerkbau AW93
Pardini SP/SPE
Benelli MP90
Hammerli SP20
Walther SSP

Otherwise, Ruger MKII with 5.5 or Government or Slabside with 6.75 barrels do just fine.
Izh 35M also very good if you can find it.

beerman
08-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Well, I sold my three Rugers after buying my 1st model 41. Not that Rugers are bad, because there fine guns, and better suited for out in the woods banging around. But the 41 is in another class. Best American made 22.

Excelsior
08-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Its always a tough call. I have the mp22, sr22, and p22. The mp has been great. The ruger showed some slide wear after about 1000 rounds which bummed me out.

I want to get a 22/45 for a steel challenge. I have seen a fair number of them jam though. But there could be a lot of reasons for that.

Other than what has been mentioned:

Browning buckmark
Tacsol upper for 1911

Good luck on your quest.

That's interesting. The Ruger MKxyz and 22/45 (and their highly modified variants from places like Volquartsen and others) are the standard when it comes to reliable feeding in tactical shooting using .22's.

I have seen people shoot the M41, 22a, Buckmark, Neos, etc. and they simply are not as reliable.

Excelsior
08-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Well, I sold my three Rugers after buying my 1st model 41. Not that Rugers are bad, because there fine guns, and better suited for out in the woods banging around. But the 41 is in another class. Best American made 22.

How so?

When it comes to tactical shooting I see far more competitors shooting Rugers for their reliability. It's not about money either. Some of the Ruger-based Volquartsen and Tactical Solution "race guns" cost far more than an M41.

Excelsior
08-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Feinwerkbau AW93
Pardini SP/SPE
Benelli MP90
Hammerli SP20
Walther SSP

Otherwise, Ruger MKII with 5.5 or Government or Slabside with 6.75 barrels do just fine.
Izh 35M also very good if you can find it.

It would depend on the TYPE of shooting. Some of those are one-handed models. Some are limited to 5 rounds.

The Right to Bear Arms
08-06-2012, 3:48 PM
When you say "target shooting" do you mean like bullseye shooting where you would be standing still shooting at paper targets? One handed or two handed?

When you say "tactical handgun" do you mean defensive shooting practice?

Hello Excelsior, one and two handed shooting at paper targets while standing still.

Yes, I do mean defensive shooting practice. I feel having a " tactical " mindset is key to surviving a real life emergency though. In fact, the platform used is secondary to the mindset of the person employing it.

The Right to Bear Arms
08-06-2012, 3:51 PM

Feinwerkbau AW93
Pardini SP/SPE
Benelli MP90
Hammerli SP20
Walther SSP

Thanks MyOdessa, I know of Walther and Bennelli but until now you could have told me the other three were elements on the periodic table and I wouldn't have known the difference !

I've got some research to do.

morrcarr67
08-06-2012, 4:49 PM
Just gotta throw my Nickle into the wishing well.

Any of the Colt Woodsman Series; all of them are C&R and roster exempt. Mine is a Challenger model made in 1950

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/morrcarr67/2012-07-09_17-05-16_641.jpg

There is a really nice Target model out there. (Not mine, found picture on the interwebs)

http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/coltpistol/DSC00909.jpg

Just for the fun of it - The Beretta Neos. Not on the list so PPT the easiest way to get one.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/morrcarr67/2012-02-18_13-03-51_723.jpg

Excelsior
08-06-2012, 5:07 PM
Hello Excelsior, one and two handed shooting at paper targets while standing still.

OK, good. For this sort of shooting with iron sights I don't think you can beat a Ruger MKxyz or a Ruger 22/45 with the longest barrel you feel comfortable with. I would use a shorter barrel if I planned to use electronic sighting.

If I wanted to spend a bit more (you're going to have to get quite proficient to out-shoot a Ruger listed above) I think I would go with the Hammerli Xesse. As other people have suggested the S&W M41 is also viable. So is the Colt Huntsman Match Target if you happen to run into one at a good price.

Yes, I do mean defensive shooting practice. I feel having a " tactical " mindset is key to surviving a real life emergency though. In fact, the platform used is secondary to the mindset of the person employing it.

A different kettle of fish. I would want to choose a .22 pistol that would be mimic my carry gun while still being reliable. I would recommend a Ruger MKxyz or a Ruger 22/45 once again or an S&W M&P 12-shot .22.

jakuda
08-06-2012, 5:17 PM
Marvel Precision Unit 1 22 conversion (or Unit2 if you don't care about the sub-1" group at 50 yards), on top of a RIA 1911.

JDeere
08-06-2012, 6:48 PM
Browning Medalist

tonygg
08-07-2012, 1:52 PM
Thanks MyOdessa, I know of Walther and Bennelli but until now you could have told me the other three were elements on the periodic table and I wouldn't have known the difference !

I've got some research to do.

Do you want to shoot Bullseye matches? Is money no object? Then yes, check
out the ISSF class match pistols and also include Morini CM22 and Morini CM22 RF
and Matchguns MG2 to that list. Most of the ISSF guns will cost $1900-$3000.
Are they worth the difference..yes; If you want the ultimate in ergonomic adjustability
and trigger adjustablity: 1st or 2nd stage pull wgt and lengths, overtravel
and return length; they all have some kind of recoil absorber(not referring to a compensator).
These pistols all have anatomical grips. It is easier to shoot 10's with these pistols.

But the amusing surprise is that some good Ruger mk's, S&W mod 41s and even
Browning Buckmarks have 50 yd accuracy that is almost the same as the ISSF
pistols. Sorry, forgot to include High Standard target pistols in that group.
If you're really going to shoot rimfire Bullseye, I recommend a Ruger MkII or
a new MkIII and just modify it to give a NRA legal trigger(2+ lbs).
You don't have to modify anything else, and it would be best for you to learn
marksmanship basics with the open sights, then change to optics later.

If you wanted to go with the next $$$ tier, buy a new SS version High Standard Trophy
match pistol. I've competed with with a S&W mod 41, and I prefer the Trophy's
trigger and sights over the mod 41's. The new SS version Houston High Standards
are now reliable, and very accurate, and no longer deserve their earlier bad
reputation.....Okay I'm through...:D

Tony

MyOdessa
08-07-2012, 2:32 PM
^^^^ The only thing I would add to the above, is MKII is better then MKIII because you don't have number of questionable "safety" futures that impact trigger pull. Luckily, there is more then enough MKII's floating around.

covingtonhouse
08-07-2012, 4:43 PM
Colt woodsman/targetsman or S&W 41. All will hold their value if cared for, aesthetically very nice to look at, and quality made. Either will also get envious looks from those that know...

quaildog1
08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
My Colt Woodsman Match Target is great to shoot. It is just like the one shown in the above post - box and all. I would usually find myself shooting my Ruger Mark I as much or more than the Colt. Why? It fit my hand so well with the custom grips I made. Both are accurate and reliable. Find something you like, that fits, and that you shoot well and you can't go wrong! Enjoy the search!!

Squidward
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Different perspective: What type of ammunition are you going to buy? No sense spending $$$ on a high end pistol if your going to risk neutering it's performance with cheap ammo.

All of my .22lr pistols are "bulk ammo beauties" because that's the ammo I buy. For the price of a high end pistol You can buy a couple of different (aesthetically pleasing, reliable, value-packed and decent performing) pistols and a butt-load of ammo.

Have you been here? http://www.rimfirecentral.com