PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Circuit Judge for Clay?

KandyRedCoi
08-04-2012, 9:31 PM
is it possible? hasa anyone here tried it?

can you do competitions with it?

i love shooting mine for fun but would love to see if its possible to use it for some local events

thanks!

WDE91
08-05-2012, 9:24 AM
ya sure its possible

Its worth a shot I guess

CSACANNONEER
08-05-2012, 9:31 AM
Most, if not all, trap, skeet, 5 stand, sporting clay, etc. ranges only allow you to load one (two if shooting doubles) round at a time. It's a safety thing. So, if you're good with that, a .410 can be used. But, it is considered an "expert's gun". So, don't expect 25/25 right off the bat.

KandyRedCoi
08-05-2012, 1:34 PM
lol if its harder then forget it lol ill stick to 12ga hehe

BigDogatPlay
08-05-2012, 5:18 PM
Circuit Judge will have a rifled barrel and the bore is .452, rather than .410. The shot column in the wad is going to likely rattle a bit and have spin imparted by the rifling. I can't imagine it would pattern very well past 10-15 yards.

KandyRedCoi
08-05-2012, 6:26 PM
shot it today with Winchester AA loads, and yes i think your observation is correct esp with shot loads thing is done past 15-20yds

would it be better to shoot buck/slug type loads in this or just stick to shooting 45colts??

TROYSD
08-06-2012, 11:19 AM
NO, 12 guage

KWalkerM
08-06-2012, 6:35 PM
:thumbsup:

well i own a .410 rossi circuit judge, yes you can use it for trap shooting and i used to regularly until the cost stopped me (broke college kid)

the CJ is rifled and choked. there is a cylinder choke for .45 colt and a weird deep grooved straight rifling choke for .410. it effectively stops the shot from creating a ring pattern. i could not for the life of me hit anything without a red dot optic. once i threw on a cheapo red dot and a little practice i was hitting on average 15 clays out of 25. i have the tactical short stock circuit judge.

the amount of shot plus 18 inch barrel and pseudo choke equals a pattern to rival that of a blunderbuss at 100 yards. AKA a pattern about 5 foot around at 25 yards

competitions is iffy but you can tear people up in .410 competitions with a sighted in optic.

i use mine as a varmint gun, .45 colt for distance shots and load .410 when recovering whats left of squirrels in case you flush one of the bastards.

i also used mine on a turkey this year! great gun and congrats on it.

i have noticed the wad has a tendency to escape the gap between the cylinder and barrel and whipping the shooter in the cheek a little. it also turns my hands black after a few rounds of trap

KandyRedCoi
08-06-2012, 8:27 PM
had the gun for a bit over a year, just been using it for fun range action, but the accuracy is quite good thats why i thought about it for clays, but i also have a 12ga just in case the .410 is a bit too hard LOL

thanks for the input