PDA

View Full Version : After Woollard v. Sheridan what is next before carry in OC?

SinglePoint
08-04-2012, 8:21 PM
I am not a legal guy, but should be able to follow along. I am hoping someone can boil down an answer to this, for me and others. Seems like a federal court found that we should be able to bear a firearm for self defense (and militia training? etc.) beyond our homes? What needs to happen before I will be able to get a carry license in Orange county for the purpose of self defense. As it sits today, I probably do not have a fitting "good cause" statement. I want to exercise my civil rights without fear of being arrested and prosecuted. Thanks for any info you can provide.

dantodd
08-04-2012, 8:23 PM
It has to go to the supreme court to apply in OC. That will be either June 2013 or 2014.

taperxz
08-04-2012, 8:27 PM
I am not a legal guy, but should be able to follow along. I am hoping someone can boil down an answer to this, for me and others. Seems like a federal court found that we should be able to bear a firearm for self defense (and militia training? etc.) beyond our homes? What needs to happen before I will be able to get a carry license in Orange county for the purpose of self defense. As it sits today, I probably do not have a fitting "good cause" statement. I want to exercise my civil rights without fear of being arrested and prosecuted. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Woodard would only help if it goes to SCOTUS (they define carry in our favor) or creates a circuit split and ends up with SCOTUS to again define carry/bear.

Otherwise it wii be another case. Not much in CA will happen without their help currently in this state in regards to "may issue"

DannyInSoCal
08-04-2012, 8:34 PM
LUCC.....

taperxz
08-04-2012, 8:35 PM
LUCC.....

For some. Not all.

Gray Peterson
08-04-2012, 9:18 PM

First, Woollard v. Gallagher is currently in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. That Circuit does not have authority over you and me.

The court that has authority over us is the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. At the moment, there are two primary cases up at the 9th Circuit: Richards v. Prieto and Peruta v. County of San Diego.

There are cases involving carry in nearly every circuit. One of them will make it to the Supreme Court. At that point, the circuits will likely write an opinion custom to the decision made tailored to law being challenged in their circuits based on that same SCOTUS decision. Assuming either the Moore case or the Peterson case is taken up and decided this upcoming term (Oct 2012 to June 2013), you will have your carry license by June 2014 at the latest.

SinglePoint
08-04-2012, 9:43 PM
Thank you for the responses. I am encouraged. Anything we the people can do to help decisions go the right way?

Gray Peterson
08-04-2012, 9:52 PM
Thank you for the responses. I am encouraged. Anything we the people can do to help decisions go the right way?

Richards v. Prieto is co-plaintiffed by both the CalGuns Foundation and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Woollard v. Gallagher is co-plaintiffed by the Second Amendment Foundation.

Donate to them both. If you want to, you can put a memo in saying that you are asking it to be directed to the Richards or Woollard effort directly.

NoJoke
08-05-2012, 6:29 AM

ABSOLUTELY! Preferred is monthly donation so our warriors know what they have to work with. I chip in extra every now and again when I can. It's money well spent.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=603173

SinglePoint
08-05-2012, 10:52 AM
OK, I've sent mine in to both CGF and SAF. Lets stop the infringement!!!