PDA

View Full Version : Wild pig hunt

SamIAm
06-10-2007, 6:13 PM
A few of us are looking to go wild pig hunting. Most everyone is a newbie (I've done some small game and bird hunting, but that's about it). We're interested in finding a guide, preferably in Southern or Central California, who's good, patient, and can arrange for dressing/processing.

"High end" hunt recommendations would be particularly appreciated.

9mmdude
06-10-2007, 6:45 PM
I went here with a group a little over a year ago. The fee was $600.00 which included a nice bunk house with a shower/bathroom and some of the best cooking I have ever had, home style. (So full room and food in the price!) $225.00 of that was for the pig and if you didn't get a pig the fee was $375.00.

Varmit hunting during the day and pig hunting in the morning and evening. The manager/head guide was a great host and we had a great time. All of us could have got a pig but a couple of guys turned pigs down because they wanted really big boars. They took care of everything after the kill. You just have to find a place to get the meat processed.

http://www.pig-hunt.com/

FreedomIsNotFree
06-14-2007, 4:50 PM
If you dont have the guts, no pun intended, to reach in to the boars body cavity and clean the game you take you shouldn't be taking it...

Initially the process may make you gag...but you'll get used to it.

SamIAm
06-14-2007, 9:27 PM
If you dont have the guts, no pun intended, to reach in to the boars body cavity and clean the game you take you shouldn't be taking it...

When I take newbies tuna fishing, I clean the first couple of tuna to show 'em how to do it.

But I guess hunting is different. Experienced hunters tell newbies that they gotta do it all themselves the first time they go hunting. And experienced hunters criticize newbies if they ask for info about hiring an experienced and patient guide who can show 'em how stuff is done.

Attitudes like that are probably one of the reasons why the number of hunters keeps dropping each year. Oh yeah, that also means that the number of people interested in preserving hunting rights also keeps dropping each year.

PETA thanks you for your support.

glockman19
06-14-2007, 9:56 PM
I have a guide who can/will lead a hunt. He's in the Ojai/Santa Barbara area and is a registered guide. Pick some dates and let's get a list of people together and I'll set it up if you're interested.

big jon
06-15-2007, 5:43 AM

Cleaned more game than I can count,,I still don`t like doing it.All the years I was a guide it was much easer for us to clean and dress it out just beacuse of the time it would take for a new hunter to do it.
I think all new hunter`s should keep an eye on the guides when they do it so they can learn how, But aint no big deal...

Flux Capacitor
06-15-2007, 6:30 AM
I am interested in a pig hunt but how much? Cost is the motivating factor here. I am also interested in a fishing trip for tuna (SAMIAM). How much also? lol

pullnshoot25
06-15-2007, 2:57 PM
Name the places in SoCal and I will be there with a bow or my new rifle HAHA.

9mmdude
06-15-2007, 6:08 PM
Check out the link in my post: www.pig-hunt.com Great place!!!!

crs1
06-15-2007, 6:29 PM

And its even better when you find out the pig was pregnant:eek:

ivanimal
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Just all part of the quest.

Hunter
06-16-2007, 9:38 AM
And its even better when you find out the pig was pregnant:eek:

Did you tag it twice?

FreedomIsNotFree
06-17-2007, 1:50 PM
When I take newbies tuna fishing, I clean the first couple of tuna to show 'em how to do it.

But I guess hunting is different. Experienced hunters tell newbies that they gotta do it all themselves the first time they go hunting. And experienced hunters criticize newbies if they ask for info about hiring an experienced and patient guide who can show 'em how stuff is done.

Attitudes like that are probably one of the reasons why the number of hunters keeps dropping each year. Oh yeah, that also means that the number of people interested in preserving hunting rights also keeps dropping each year.

PETA thanks you for your support.

No offense intended. And hunting buddies will show you how...they make it so you can learn.....I always have.....but can you imagine the look on my face if my buddy just bagged a boar and expected me to clean it by myself?:eek:

Cleaning/dressing your game is part of the experience....but most importantly, the responsibility. I dont mind teaching/showing, but you are going to get your hands bloody helping out. Fair enough?

I dont know how much teaching you'd receive if you went to one of those paid hunts....thats my point. They drive you up to the spot.....you take your shot....then they pick it up.....a couple hours later you pick up your meat......that may sound like fun to some, but not me....kinda like going to the "Sure Catch" Pond for some "fishing".

To each their own...

For those that want to learn a thing or two....here is a decent read on how to field dress a boar....

http://www.jackboulware.com/writing/wild-boar-hunting

crs1
06-17-2007, 3:27 PM
Did you tag it twice?

No, it wasn't my shot, it was one of the other guys that was on the trip with us...not a pretty sight.

Most good guides will ask you to please not shoot a pig if you can tell they are pregnant...But sometimes at the pay and shoot places, you will hunt with some true jackasses.

Cali-V
06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
For those that want to learn a thing or two....here is a decent read on how to field dress a boar....

http://www.jackboulware.com/writing/wild-boar-hunting

Good read... Thanks