PDA

View Full Version : Gun safes

LAKings22
08-04-2012, 12:26 PM
My collection is starting to grow alittle more and ammo count has gone up with it. My daughter is now walking which means its time for me to start shopping for a safe to store all my handguns, rifles, ammo or anything that can get dangerous. I'm looking at not spending more then $1,000 for a safe. Can anyone give me any idea what brands to look at and what brands to avoid? I will be storing couple of rifles about 4 hand guns couple of thousand ammo some jewelry and valuables. Due to limited room I can go up to 6 feet high and 4 feet wife safe. At the recent gun show in Ontario, they had the underbed safe which looked cool and won't take up any room, anyone have any experience with this and is it a good alternative? Also the safe will be on a 2nd floor and will not be mounted onto the wood floors. My main concern is to secure it from kids or careless adults and avoid any accidents that could of been easly avoided.

Any info or help is greatly appreciated.

Casual_Shooter
08-04-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.bedgunsafe.com/

I looked at those and they were very interesting.

Be sure to buy a larger (twice?) safe than you think you need. Guns tend to breed in the dark. :)

baih777
08-04-2012, 1:15 PM
A safe on 48 inches wide should weigh close to 1000 lbs.
mine is 40 and weighs over 900 lbs. Garage is the best place for a safe that size. If you want to put it upstairs you want to consider two 24 inch safes.

WWDHD?
08-04-2012, 1:40 PM
I think most of us start out with the "$1000 or less for a safe" budget. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here saying theres not much of any real quality for that price. Lots of chinese made thin (12GA) sheet steel safes with sheet rock inside for a fire liner. Some of the safes on Costco.com (Rhino, Cannon) seem ok. The Liberty safes are mostly made in the US and often have nice features like lights, power ports, drawers and shinny paint. Most of them will cost more that a grand except for the Centurion line. Sometimes Liberty has sales on major holidays.
I'm very happy with my Sturdy 32x24 safe. I got mine for less than $1500. Its made here in CA (Fresno) of 7ga steel. I skipped the fire liner to save money. I also paid cash and picked it up myself and got the upgraded interior with the money I saved from that. As far as security goes its hard to beat a Sturdy IHO. They may not be the prettiest looking safes around; way more function than form. Check out their site for lots of good info on safes in general.
Good luck to you.

Librarian
08-04-2012, 2:04 PM
Also note there is a forum here for safes - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=74

LAKings22
08-04-2012, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I went to Deans Safes in panorama city and the guy was very helpfull and sounded very honest, but being around sales before even every honest answer you get is seasoned with some BS. I'll check out the next gun show in Glendale next week and see some more options. I also saw one listed on Turners weekly add. Champion 24 gun safe marked down $700 from $1500 to $800. I might take a look at that tomorrow.

canative
08-04-2012, 3:33 PM
I have a Liberty safe that is advertised at #400, loaded I would say it is now about over #500. I would not put that on a second floor. In the event of an earthquake, it will probably end up on the bottom floor!

baih777
08-04-2012, 4:23 PM
today i got turners fall sale flyer. there are three safes on sale. sale starts aug 10th.
also these this company is in sun valley. dont know about the prices.
http://www.sunweldingsafes.com/Sun_Welding_Safe_Company/Product_Line.html

check costco also.

capitol
08-04-2012, 4:28 PM
I have a Liberty safe that is advertised at #400, loaded I would say it is now about over #500. I would not put that on a second floor. In the event of an earthquake, it will probably end up on the bottom floor!

Interesting thought. :rolleyes: Consider it this way. It's the same weight as two 250 pound people standing next to each other.

Do you think they would fall through your floor in an earthquake :confused:

Synergy
08-04-2012, 4:40 PM
Buy once cry once. Or luck out and find a top tier safe on Craigslist for 500 bucks! That is how I got my Sturdy safe. $2000 safe for $500! :p

www.sturdysafe.com

American steel, Made by Americans in Fresno!

LAKings22
08-04-2012, 5:01 PM
Interesting thought. :rolleyes: Consider it this way. It's the same weight as two 250 pound people standing next to each other.

Do you think they would fall through your floor in an earthquake :confused:

I don't think 500lbs is going to be a problem. I rebuild my house in 04 ground up and it's suppose to be earthquake proof, we will find out during the next big one if it is.

saleen1111
08-04-2012, 11:28 PM
I just bought the champion safe from turners for1k otd, 60x36, glossy black paint 45 min fire rating, I was debating between a few including the big horn from Costco but after walking into turners Torrance and seeing how beautiful th champion looked made me decide on that safe, it's American made versus big born china made safe.

LAKings22
08-05-2012, 12:48 AM
I just bought the champion safe from turners for1k otd, 60x36, glossy black paint 45 min fire rating, I was debating between a few including the big horn from Costco but after walking into turners Torrance and seeing how beautiful th champion looked made me decide on that safe, it's American made versus big born china made safe.

That's the same one I'm going to look at tomorrow at the reseda location.

saleen1111
08-05-2012, 9:46 AM
La kings22, let me know what your thoughts on it, I should have mine delivered on Wednesday, pm me your email address, I'll forward you a flyer champion sent me about this specific safe, you won't find it anywhere on their website or google, champion produces this safef for their larger distributors only, not all champion dealers sell it. Getting a USA made, 36 wide, glossy black paint for 1k otd no one can beat, I've been in the market for over 2 months and noticed that most china made safes with a diameter of 36 inch wide sell for about 1300 to 1500, the glossy black finish and velour beige interior on the champion is just the cherry on top of everything else. Is also weights 625 lbs.

LAKings22
08-05-2012, 10:39 AM
La kings22, let me know what your thoughts on it, I should have mine delivered on Wednesday, pm me your email address, I'll forward you a flyer champion sent me about this specific safe, you won't find it anywhere on their website or google, champion produces this safef for their larger distributors only, not all champion dealers sell it. Getting a USA made, 36 wide, glossy black paint for 1k otd no one can beat, I've been in the market for over 2 months and noticed that most china made safes with a diameter of 36 inch wide sell for about 1300 to 1500, the glossy black finish and velour beige interior on the champion is just the cherry on top of everything else. Is also weights 625 lbs.

Thank you, PM sent.

trob
08-05-2012, 11:06 AM
You're going to put ammo in your safe? Why?

I would buy a used safe. Saves a lot of money for the exact same thing. You could probably find a used Fort Knox for $1k.

latesvak
08-05-2012, 11:32 AM
I got mine from cold steel safe co in roseville and I love it . It's a 20 gun browning safe that has some shelves on the left side that can be taken out to add more rifles if need be. Was supposed to be like $1100 and they were cool and took 1k cash. I would recommend them to any one.

Latesvak

L84CABO
08-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Buy once cry once. Or luck out and find a top tier safe on Craigslist for 500 bucks! That is how I got my Sturdy safe. $2000 safe for $500! :p

www.sturdysafe.com

American steel, Made by Americans in Fresno!

Is Sturdy a top tier safe...or is it just a high end Residential Security Container (RSC).

jemrey81
08-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey Latesvak, I just got my safe from them too... Nice people there and they like to negotiate and give discounts to NRA members :)

I ended up getting a Dakota Black Diamond - the 40" wide one, 750 lbs. I don't know how it stacks up against other brands, but I like the features and the price was right.

Synergy
08-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Is Sturdy a top tier safe...or is it just a high end Residential Security Container (RSC).

Smartarse! :p Its a RSC, Its not a Grafunder "safe" lol

They have quite a few test videos

L9FslzOGzqw